Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Mile - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Mile – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 505 total)
  • Author

HeySquare
    Participant

I’m interested in going to the opening tonight… is there one location (the fountain?) where the main festivities will be taking place? I’m trying to strategize whether I need to walk or drive.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

alexs said:
    Not to pee on the parade, but much remains to be done to clean the river.

Agreed! Let’s get rid of those dams!

The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It’s one thing that bothers me, the SM is nice and the GIAC is nice but neither really does much for the river itself.

It’s going to take time to change this city’s attitude toward the river. People think the river is dirty so they don’t care about it so people site dirty businesses like junkyards on it … then someone like me posts a pic like that, and people think, See? It IS dirty!

Fortunately more and more people are taking a second look at this city’s primary geographical feature and thinking maybe it’s not in our best interest to have a sewer running through the heart of the city.

Twixlen
    Participant

HeySquare said:
    I’m interested in going to the opening tonight… is there one location (the fountain?) where the main festivities will be taking place? I’m trying to strategize whether I need to walk or drive.

Got a note on the schedule – The ceremony begins at 5:30pm on the Performing Arts Stage in the John W Galbreath Bicentennial Park, then the fountain show starts at 6pm. Free water (this just sounds funny), ice cream, popcorn, $1 hot dogs, and street performers will be along the promenade. At 7:30pm, the restaurant opens to the public & the Hoo Doo Soul Band performs on the stage. At 9:45, there will be an evening light show on the fountain.

I was planning on going home, taking off my pants and lying down. But now feel like I need to see all this action in person. Damn this city and all its fun things to do!!!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I met with McKnight on other business this morning and apologized that I won’t be there because I’ll have Mom on my hands. I think I’ll take a tour in the morning, maybe combine that with a trip to Thurns on Greenlawn.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen said:

I was planning on going home, taking off my pants and lying down. But now feel like I need to see all this action in person. Damn this city and all its fun things to do!!!

Well, don’t let going to the park stop you from taking off your pants…

/Hey now!

bjones2585

alexs said:
    It’s one thing that bothers me, the SM is nice and the GIAC is nice but neither really does much for the river itself.

It’s going to take time to change this city’s attitude toward the river. People think the river is dirty so they don’t care about it so people site dirty businesses like junkyards on it … then someone like me posts a pic like that, and people think, See? It IS dirty!

Fortunately more and more people are taking a second look at this city’s primary geographical feature and thinking maybe it’s not in our best interest to have a sewer running through the heart of the city.

I mean, I’m all for cleaning up the river, and gladly advocate for it and volunteer for cleanup days. =) However, my excitement for the Scioto Mile mostly comes from the fact that it’s going to be a big downtown draw, and the perks not only to us locals, but to tourists coming in and seeing the city, and spending time in the downtown riverfront area. It’s nice to see how it’s come along.

DLDude
    Participant

I totally agree with Bjones. Coming from Cincinnati which has had a dismal riverfront for so many years, there is no reason to go downtown. The city completely dies when people arent working there. I appreciate anything Columbus does to attract people into the center of the city. What we could use a bit more of are movie theatres, restaurants, and other ‘social’ places that will tie together the Arena, Mile, and Commons. Then we have a slam dunk.

Does anyone know if 229 is going to be ridiculous tonight? I want to grab a beer and hang out on the patio. Is this an unrealistic expectation?

bjones2585

The patio was packed at the practice dinner last night, we started inside and moved outside (on request) after our drinks came. I feel like they are going to be pretty busy all night, but I don’t see why you can’t stop by and check it out =) you never know–might get lucky

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Im so excited!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

alexs said:

Two photos of the river itself. These are looking Down from the new Scioto Mile Promenade near the Broad Street side:

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

The mile is amazing, and I hope this will spur public to push for the removal of the dams. When I walked out onto the old Town Street bridge I saw numerous people walk out to the edge, get a wiff of the river and then walk off quickly commenting how bad it smelled!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 505 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: