Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Mile - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Mile – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 505 total)
  • Author
    lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Three words: Giant. Mirrored. Corncob.

looks like a girdle, for all the fatties in town

or maybe a bird bath/ or mirrored garden ball stand

an inter-dimensional wormhole, black hole, vortex creating machine, you will all be wishing it was a cooling tower once they fire up the LED’s and the world disappears.

I miss the blue watersnake.

Klablut

The USAF memorial in Virginia or RAF museum beacon come to mind for Columbus. Too bad I stink at uploading picts on here.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I think it’s the ugliest thing…… Ever. But I like the idea of a sculpture.

JeepGirl
    Participant

Why stop with just a glittering cooling tower..

or at least add some seasonal flair..

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Maybe if it were a giant speaker blasting dubstep.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Like the size, like the reflective aspects… but don’t care for the shape. I’ve been to the Chicago bean. It’s interactive, it’s an attraction. This design seems to leave both of those aspects out of the equation.

brothermarcus
    Participant

Reminds me of why I voted against all the incumbents in city government this year… sigh. I’m praying that this “pimp cup” statue is being funded by something other than tax dollars- while I keep waiting for the *temporary* income tax increase to go away projects like this crap just incense me even further.

JeepGirl
    Participant

“pimp cup” That it is.

tlb919
    tlb919
    Participant

All I can say is No. Just No.

jbcmh81
    Participant

brothermarcus said:
    Reminds me of why I voted against all the incumbents in city government this year… sigh. I’m praying that this “pimp cup” statue is being funded by something other than tax dollars- while I keep waiting for the *temporary* income tax increase to go away projects like this crap just incense me even further.

These projects, such as the new parks and any related art projects, tend to be a mix of public and private money and not fully taxpayer funded. That said, even if they were 100% taxpayer funded, it is the existance of these projects that have helped to spur an abundance of new businesses moving Downtown, along with even more residents. You may find them to be a waste of money, but they are doing what they were designed to do.

futureman
    Participant

Let debate begin over proposed riverfront sculpture
    A New York artist’s concept for a six-story, mirrored-glass structure along the Scioto is meant to be a signature piece of public art for Columbus. The mayor likes the idea, but he wants it to be paid for with private funds.
    By Robert Vitale
    The Columbus Dispatch Friday December 2, 2011 6:30 AM

It’s big. It’s modern. Its creator says it would “blur the line between architecture and sculpture.”

But is it art?

Many people got their first glimpse yesterday of plans for a six-story, mirrored-glass sculpture proposed for Columbus’ newly redesigned riverfront. And minutes after The Dispatch posted the image online, that age-old debate over the nature and purpose of art had a new focus.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/12/02/let-the-debate-begin.html

Who thinks AEP is going to pay for it?

JeepGirl
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    These projects, such as the new parks and any related art projects, tend to be a mix of public and private money and not fully taxpayer funded. That said, even if they were 100% taxpayer funded, it is the existance of these projects that have helped to spur an abundance of new businesses moving Downtown, along with even more residents. You may find them to be a waste of money, but they are doing what they were designed to do.

Having trouble seeing where large art projects have “helped to spur an abundance of new businesses moving Downtown”. Not necessarily disagreeing, just don’t understand the basis for your statement regarding Columbus.

Can you please cite any supporting data?

mbeaumont
    Participant

JeepGirl said:
    Having trouble seeing where large art projects have “helped to spur an abundance of new businesses moving Downtown”. Not necessarily disagreeing, just don’t understand the basis for your statement regarding Columbus.

Can you please cite any supporting data?

He mentioned parks in his comment as well. I’m sure he’s referring to Scioto Mile and Columbus Commons which were quickly followed by (off the top of my head), Milestone 229, DeNovo, Mojoe Lounge, Sidebar, etc.

misskitty
    Participant

In the article, they are quotes as saying, “Tolle said his hope is to create a signature piece that identifies Columbus the way the Gateway Arch defines St. Louis or the Space Needle identifies Seattle.” However, that is just it this cooling tower is not landmark Worthy as the arch or space needle. It would be a great piece of art for a town named Springfield. When I think of landmark art and Columbus this is the last thing I would want to see. I know they can do better

columbusmike
    Participant

By the way, why are we using a New York artist? I’m guessing there are plenty of Columbus artists that are up to the task…..

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 505 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: