Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Mile - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Mile – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 505 total)
  • Author

Cookie

The new work — tentatively titled The Columbiad

Please just stop.

Cookie

So … it’s probably not too late to get the giant Christopher Columbus statue, right?

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

joev said:
    I don’t think we need a landmark at all. Does Austin have one? Does Portland? We’re on the right track with creating a city that people want to visit and live in organically through private and public investment. Plopping a big icon down isn’t going to give us a leg up. How many people go to Knoxville to see the Sun Sphere?

Right now the 5,6,7,8 floor is being used as office floors. haha. But I see what your saying, that Portland, and Austin do not have a landmark. Does Charlotte?

columbusmike
    Participant

I didn’t think the design of this could get worse….it did. It even has a stupid name… “The Columbiad”

Good grief….make this thing go away. I’d rather have the prow “as-is” rather than this thing.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I just remember reading that the Eiffel Tower was rejected by a lot of people, and that it should be torn down. But now its one of the most if not the greatest known landmark in the world.

columbusmike
    Participant

Can we get a giant ferris wheel instead?

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Can we get a giant ferris wheel instead?

It would be great to put it over by COSI, and it could be like 400 feet and awesome views of downtown Columbus. But also could be a plea.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

The Chernobyl look is so 1980’s.

Has anyone seen these additional images on the Dispatch? I am a little underwhelmed with the original photo on the Dispatch but these photos help the design a little.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Mister Shifter
    Participant

fringeoutfitters said:
    Has anyone seen these additional images on the Dispatch? I am a little underwhelmed with the original photo on the Dispatch but these photos help the design a little.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Yes. They were all posted on the previous page.

columbusmike
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:

And they are all still pretty horrible.

I will so I’m glad they are pushing for something really big…but a geometric cooling tower isn’t what anyone had in mind. “The Prow” has such a modern, contemporary feel — this sculpture has some what of post-modern industrial look. I hope there is time to refine…

Mister Shifter said:

Still underwhelmed huh? lol It definitely does nothing for visitors, but just for them to look at, I guess. Would be nice if there was a staircase inside and a look out deck up top. But I’d prefer another design.

columbusmike
    Participant

fringeoutfitters said:
    Still overwhelmed huh? lol It definitely does nothing for visitors, but just for them to look at, I guess. Would be nice if there was a staircase inside and a look out deck up top. But I’d prefer another design.

I agree….if you could walk up to the top from inside then it all sort of makes sense….

columbusmike
    Participant

Klablut

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    I think they should build something symbolic in Columbus. Make this thing come to the ground. yes. Columbus Needs something that gets recognized by other cities such as:
    The Space Needle in Seattle, The Statue of Liberty, The sun sphere in Knoxville, The Stratosphere in Las Vegas, The Hollywood sign in Los Angeles, etc.

I think they should build something to do with aviation. Since were the state that founded air travel.

Agreed. Building on aviation would be a theme of discovery. Like it or not, we live in a city named after Columbus. Also, Ohio is, of course, the birthplace of John Glenn. Masts, wings etc., something that looks towards the future and honors the past.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 505 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: