Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Mile - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Mile – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 505 total)
  • Author
    Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

futureman wrote >>

CalebR wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

lazyfish wrote >>
    Right now it seems cramped.

Why not wait until the construction fencing comes down? Should be less cramped then.

Will the mile be closed until the opening or will it open before it and not just be the GRAND OPENING! Because I know people will want to use it for RED, WHITE and BOOM.

It’s my understanding that the section from town st bridge to broad will be opening for red white and boom while bicentennial park will remain closed.

Okay, thanks.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Agreed with above. Should have been a pedestrian only promenade, no vehicle lanes. Maybe later.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Has anyone driven down Civic Center lately? It’s been open to vehicular traffic for quite awhile now. The lanes are extremely narrow, and there’s only one in each direction. I can’t imagine cars driving more than 15 miles per hour through here, similar to Gay Street.

I’m not sure if a pedestrian-only walkway is necessary. Multi-modal is the way to go, and I think auto traffic will be slow and in control through here.

Pablo
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Has anyone driven down Civic Center lately? It’s been open to vehicular traffic for quite awhile now. The lanes are extremely narrow, and there’s only one in each direction. I can’t imagine cars driving more than 15 miles per hour through here, similar to Gay Street.
    I’m not sure if a pedestrian-only walkway is necessary. Multi-modal is the way to go, and I think auto traffic will be slow and in control through here.

Yup, I felt I had to drive slowly. You couldn’t run the Columbus 500 here anymore!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Scioto Mile Scheduled to Open on July 7th
    By Walker | June 29, 2011 4:30pm

After more than four years in the works, the Scioto Mile riverfront redevelopment project is coming to a close. The grand opening celebration for the new park will be held next weekend, with the main event taking place on Thursday, July 7th, which includes an opening fountain show at 6pm, children’s activities, a live performance by the Hoo Doo Soul Band at 7:30pm and an evening fountain show at 9:45pm.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/scioto-mile-scheduled-to-open-on-july-7th

futureman
    Participant

Mile-long legacy
    Columbus never fully embraced the Scioto until “two guys named Mike from Toledo” pushed forward with a plan that has transformed the riverbank
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 03:18 AM
    BY DOUG CARUSO
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Columbus will boast an unbroken string of parkland along its Downtown riverfront when the Scioto Mile emerges from behind its chain-link construction fences on Thursday.

Colonnade-shaded swings will line Civic Center Drive. Lights will play across water dancing from hundreds of fountain nozzles in Bicentennial Park. Diners in a new restaurant with sweeping views will sip beer crafted in Columbus.

“Every inch of that place was thought through,” said Mayor Michael B. Coleman, who began talking about a riverfront-spanning park as early as 2002. “This is a place you’ll go to at 7 in the morning and you won’t want to leave until 11 at night.”

Though some have questioned Coleman’s priorities, he’ll go down in city history as the mayor whose riverfront plan – among what must be dozens gathering dust on shelves at City Hall – actually was built. The Scioto Mile’s $44 million cost will be paid with $10 million from the city, with the rest coming from private donors and other government entities. Coleman says the key moment was a meeting in early 2007 with Michael G. Morris, AEP’s chairman. They were in Morris’ office overlooking the riverfront.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/07/03/mile-long-legacy.html?sid=101

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The Dispatch comments have conservatives praising Coleman. Maybe these really are the end times.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

lol @ alexs.. maybe these are the end times

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Man I can’t wait for this to finally open. I have to give credit to the fact that the park is a really high-quality built space, and that’s what’s needed in the Midwest if we’re going to compete with cities that have outstanding natural scenery.

People will whine about the cost right now, but in 5 years everyone will forget and just enjoy what a nice place it is.

surber17
    Participant

We just walked down to the new park/restaurant at lunch ….. let me tell you it is amazing! The park is fantastic and the restaurant looks stellar. Excellent work!

drew
    Participant

surber17 said:
    We just walked down to the new park/restaurant at lunch ….. let me tell you it is amazing! The park is fantastic and the restaurant looks stellar. Excellent work!

Couldn’t agree more. We managed to land a spot at the restaurant last night, and while the food was every bit as good as it is at CBC, the real draw was the environs. The patio is a tremendously enjoyable place to be with great downtown, river, and water sculpture views. The waterworks between the restaurant and ampitheater are particularly impressive – it can create a mist as fine as a fog, which feels as though it cools the immediate area by probably 15-20 degrees (and is undeniably dramatic as well). There’s also some serious lighting tech going on, too, including video projection from the restaurant onto the fountains (and fog).

General consensus among the four of us last night was that the restaurant/park area is an exceptional addition to the city.

Hungrywoolf took some great photos[/url] of the area. Love the night shots.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice

drew said:
    Hungrywoolf took some great photos[/url] of the area. Love the night shots.

Great photos! :D

bjones2585

Photos from tonight! Mostly the fountains going =) I’m so excited for tomorrow night!!!!!! I have more photos, if anyone is interested in seeing them, just PM me

News
    Participant

Park fountain ‘awe-inspiring’
    Thursday, July 7, 2011
    BY JEFFREY SHEBAN
    The Columbus Dispatch

The fountain of youth is elusive no more: Starting today, Columbus residents can discover it on the east bank of the Scioto River.

An elaborate outdoor “splash park” geared toward children and families is expected to be the big draw at the redesigned Bicentennial Park, on the southern tip of the Scioto Mile.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/weekender/stories/2011/07/07/park-fountain-awe-inspiring.html?sid=101

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Not to pee on the parade, but much remains to be done to clean the river. Here’s a shot from a fishing discussion board, taken upstream from the Dublin Rd. water treatment plant. There are a few junkyards along the river and there was a 2009 story about them polluting the river, but AFAIK nothing has been done about them.

When you can sit in a kayak in the city’s drinking-water supply, and look up at a stack of leaking junk vehicles, something is wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 505 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE