Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Mile - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Mile – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 505 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Getting closer…

Public Speakers

When the park makes its debut this July, it’ll be a Wi-Fi hotspot. Thanks to the magic of discreet little antennas mounted on the light poles, we’ll be able to surf on the Scioto Mile – surf the internet while at the Scioto Mile that is. The latest technology allows guests to bring their laptops, iPads or any portable networking device, and search the great online world for free; all the while, enjoying the great outdoor world.

READ MORE: http://www.sciotomile.com/public-speakers

Previous News & Updates:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/tag/scioto-mile

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/tags/scioto-mile

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Great! Now hopefully we can get some warm weather in Columbus… maybe within a couple of days :P

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Preview of Milestone 229: New Cafe at Scioto Mile:

Preview of Milestone 229: New Cafe at Scioto Mile

bjones2585

Website for Milestone 229 went live…! =) http://milestone229.com/

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I wonder why they didn’t go with mile 258, as marked on the National Road milestone downtown. (258 miles from the beginning of the road at Cumberland)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Can the Scioto Mile, weeks from opening, Save the Southern End of Downtown Columbus Condos?
    June 13th, 2011

The South end of downtown has more attraction than many might consider off the top of their head. It’s not as colorful as the Arena District, but there’s activity around. The fact is, condos have fallen out of favor among home buyers.

READ MORE: http://deliciousrealestate.com/2011/06/13/can-the-scioto-mile-weeks-from-opening-save-the-southern-end-of-downtown-columbus-condos/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

I was downtown this weekend and checked out the park. I kept thinking it was too bad they didn’t close Civic Center and make the whole narrow strip more of a wide promenade. The impact of the park is minimal, the street still dominates the “park”. Noticed many of the newly planted trees are dying, and the planting look a bit rough. Maybe they will close the street in the future and really welcome folks to stroll the riverside. Right now it seems cramped.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

Although the street does dominate, the lanes are narrow and the use of on-street parking should help to calm traffic. A few calming bumps and sharrows would be nice. I think the sizing fits its usage. I’m waiting to see what happens with the intersection of Rich & Civic. I understand the need to connect to Fton, but the car sizing of the bridge & intersection really seem to divide the mile and the park.

The whole park/mile seems well done. Hanging out in the park with the fountain is (er.. I mean will be) really awesome.

byJody
    Participant

Regarding the Promenade:

My coworker Jess wants to see this be car free at least monthly, maybe you’ve heard of Cyclovia, they just held one in Minneapolis on Sunday.

Open Streets MPLS: http://openstreetsmpls.com/

By opening up the streets for people to walk, bike, run and skate for a day, we get an opportunity to experience our city in a whole new way.

In the past the street was the hub of the community—it was a place to shop, mingle, gossip, and play. Open Streets gives this back while promoting healthy activity and sustainable transportation. This is a great opportunity for everyone young and old to be active while engaging with neighbors and local businesses.

So bring your friends, your kids, your parents, your pets and take to the streets.

Be active. Be social. It’s time to social-cise!

byJody
    Participant

@Alexs – looks like 229 is their address on Civic Center. I do like the tie in with the National Road though!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lazyfish wrote >>
    Right now it seems cramped.

Why not wait until the construction fencing comes down? Should be less cramped then.

jmathews5
    Participant

Thanks, Jody!
    Yes, I believe that debuting this street as a pedestrian priority street – right off the bat is the way to go. The City can develop then enforce that during the months of April – Oct, every Wed (just threw that day out there) cars are not allowed on the Mile.

If we want more businesses to open up downtown, we need the area walkable. Many states are creating their own ‘Car Free’ Days and we need to get on board. We finally have an urban park downtown yet its surrounded by arterial streets designed to get cars in the city and get cars out of the city – this needs to be changed.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

lazyfish wrote >>

Why not wait until the construction fencing comes down? Should be less cramped then.

Will the mile be closed until the opening or will it open before it and not just be the GRAND OPENING! Because I know people will want to use it for RED, WHITE and BOOM.

futureman
    Participant

CalebR wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

lazyfish wrote >>

Will the mile be closed until the opening or will it open before it and not just be the GRAND OPENING! Because I know people will want to use it for RED, WHITE and BOOM.

It’s my understanding that the section from town st bridge to broad will be opening for red white and boom while bicentennial park will remain closed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 505 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE