Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Downs - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Scioto Downs – News & Updates

This topic contains 66 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  DouginCMH 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #468606

    News
    Participant

    Scioto Downs Begins Installing VLT Machines
    By: NADIA BASHIR | NBC4
    Published: May 11, 2012

    Scioto Downs, the first race track in the state to receive a license for video lottery terminals, is in the process today of installing hundreds of VLT machines. The first phase of the project is set to open next month. A Video Lottery Terminal is a gaming machine similar to a slot machine.

    READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/may/11/scioto-downs-begins-installing-vlt-machines-ar-1033603/

    #468607

    Schoolboy
    Participant

    ok. so if it wasn’t open this weekend… why were there hundreds of cars in the parking lot around 10pm on friday?

    are that many people really working on this place?

    #468608

    groundrules
    Participant

    Schoolboy said:
    ok. so if it wasn’t open this weekend… why were there hundreds of cars in the parking lot around 10pm on friday?

    are that many people really working on this place?

    maybe there was something crazy going on, like a horse race or something.

    #468609

    News
    Participant

    Scioto Downs video gambling will begin June 1
    By Steve Wartenberg
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Tuesday May 22, 2012 1:58 PM

    The video gaming machines at Scioto Downs Casino & Racetrack will start spinning and whirling at 2 p.m. June 1, General Manager Troy Buswell has announced. This will be the first Ohio racetrack to offer video lottery terminals, which offer a wide variety of games of chance played on video screens. “We’re very excited, and we’re expecting a lot of people,” Buswell said of opening day.

    READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/05/22/scioto-downs-gambling-machines-go-live-on-June-1.html

    #468610

    Schoolboy
    Participant

    groundrules said:
    maybe there was something crazy going on, like a horse race or something.

    I’m sure there was. However… in the hundreds of times that I’ve passed this place, never once has it had so many cars in its lot.

    This has been the case for the passed 3-4 Fridays.

    #468611

    Graybeak
    Participant

    Schoolboy said:
    I’m sure there was. However… in the hundreds of times that I’ve passed this place, never once has it had so many cars in its lot.

    This has been the case for the passed 3-4 Fridays.

    Live racing began May 10th. So, 12 days ago.

    #468612

    News
    Participant

    ‘Racino’ on track to open next week at Scioto Downs
    By Steve Wartenberg
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Wednesday May 23, 2012 9:11 AM

    By the end of next week, central Ohio gamblers will have a casino of their own. Plans were announced yesterday to open the casino at Scioto Downs on June 1, joining a rush of casino openings planned across the state.

    READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/05/23/racino-on-track-to-open-next-week.html

    #468613

    News
    Participant

    Gambling bill excludes Columbus from racino aid
    By Jim Siegel
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Friday May 25, 2012 7:12 AM

    The House and Senate ground out a final deal on a gambling-law rewrite yesterday, providing additional money to most communities that host racinos and setting aside the charity card-room debate for another day.

    READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/05/25/gambling-bill-excludes-columbus-from-racino-aid.html

    #468614

    MrNeighbor
    Member

    We were traveling up and down Route 23 over the weekend and saw the recent progress at Scioto Downs and couldn’t believe the scope of the expansion. This facility will hold thousands and thousands of cars in massive parking lots and not one bit of traffic consideration or alteration to traffic lanes on the highway to manage the inflow and exit of the folks attending the racing or gambling.

    It’s hard to believe that county or state transportation entities didn’t require any upgrades in roads or traffic lanes to accommodate what will be a large increase in traffic volume.

    Planning?

    #468615
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    Isn’t 23 a divided highway format through there? Two lanes in both directions with turn lanes and signals at the entrance of Scioto Downs? To me it’s always seemed like a fairly wide/accommodating roadway through there to begin with. While the parking lots at Scioto Downs are pretty massive, how many cars will be there on average, and how many people will be arriving/leaving simultaneously?

    Perhaps what’s there was planned to already accomodate whatever additional traffic they’re expecting.

    #468616

    Walker said:
    Isn’t 23 a divided highway format through there? Two lanes in both directions with turn lanes and signals at the entrance of Scioto Downs? To me it’s always seemed like a fairly wide/accommodating roadway through there to begin with. While the parking lots at Scioto Downs are pretty massive, how many cars will be there on average, and how many people will be arriving/leaving simultaneously?

    Perhaps what’s there was planned to already accomodate whatever additional traffic they’re expecting.

    That is true, Scioto Downs expects to be busy without massive peak times when thousands of cars are trying to enter all at once.
    Also, a major traffic change is under construction. Rt 317 is being moved south to connect to Rt 665 at 23. This has been planned for 20 years, but, ODOT has not found the funds to complete it. From what I have heard Scioto Downs is footing the bill, with ODOT overseeing it.

    #468617

    News
    Participant

    Sneak Preview: The New & Improved Scioto Downs
    By: Walker
    May 30, 2012 4:30 pm

    Scioto Downs will be reopening their doors this Friday, June 1st at 2pm with some noteworthy upgrades to this horse racing destination. New ownership at MTR Gaming Group are completing the installation of 1,800 new video lottery terminals (slot machines), two restaurants and multiple bars.

    READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/sneak-preview-the-new-improved-scioto-downs

    #468618

    News
    Participant

    #468619

    bjones7
    Participant

    Website is updated: http://sciotodowns.com/. I hope the best for the area. I’m not much of a gambler my self and when I do its table games. One thing I couldn’t find is entertainment other than gambling and eating,like live music/acts? I’m just happy for the track it self and wish the best for the area.

    #468620

    Graybeak
    Participant

    bjones7 said:
    Website is updated: http://sciotodowns.com/. I hope the best for the area. I’m not much of a gambler my self and when I do its table games. One thing I couldn’t find is entertainment other than gambling and eating,like live music/acts? I’m just happy for the track it self and wish the best for the area.

    I do see a link under “promotions” for live entertainment, but like all the other categories, it has a coming soon graphic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: