Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Schottenstein Integrated Food and Energy Research Park

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Schottenstein Integrated Food and Energy Research Park

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This very interesting idea/concept one-pager was passed along to me via email:

The Schottenstein Integrated Food and Energy Research Park – An Alternative Plan to Redevelop Cooper Stadium and Franklinton

The Schottenstein Integrated Food and Alternative Energy Research Park would be an innovative public-private partnership, profitably producing horticultural and marine crops for local and regional markets while simultaneously researching intensive small scale farming systems and energy production. Park activities would promote new forms of economic development and job creation, catalyzing a new economy centered on alternative energy and food production. The Park would serve as a showcase research site highly visible to state and city governments. This site would be the first of its kind in the country.

Potential Partners:

• The Ohio Department of Agriculture –with connections throughout state government, ODA has considerable interest in aquaculture and there have been discussions around redeveloping empty car dealerships into productive aquaculture systems

• The Ohio State University – a premier research institution is an ideal collaborator able to bring research professionals and graduate students to examine new energy and food production systems. Additionally, the Park could partner with the OARDC – Ohio Aquaculture Development Center and the OSU Hydroponic Crop Program to design profitable production systems and also identify new urban research opportunities.

• City of Columbus – Mayor Coleman has directed resources to redevelop Franklinton including investment in a Flood Wall and residential redevelopment. An emerging urban arts district compliments revitalization activities led by the Franklin Development Association (FDA).

Small Farm and Urban Farming Systems

Capitalizing on the interest of fresh, local and healthy foods the Park can simultaneously produce and research new forms of intensive farming systems

• Vegetable and Fruit Production via vertical hydroponics and hoop houses production.

• Urban Aquaculture Production – urban aquaponic systems can produce: fish for consumption, ornamental marine organisms for aquariums, and research marine organisms, in addition to treating waste water and creating energy through attached biomass digesters. Employment creation estimates suggests 15 jobs for every 453 t of production. For more information see Urban Aquaculture. 2005. Editors: B. Costa-Pierce, A. Desbonnet, P. Edwards and D. Baker. CABI Publishing.

Alternative Energy

• Algae/biofuels, Biogas, Solar, and Wind energy

• Methods for integrating multiple energy sources

• Space for business incubators for alternative energy startups and education facilities.

• Ideally located at the intersection of three major highways: Hwy 71, Hwy 70 and St Rt. 315

• Located just minutes away from downtown Columbus, State government agencies, and Ohio State University

• Graham Auto Ford site potential showcase for dealership retrofitting and redevelopment

• Mixed use zoning – Commercial and residential; Tax benefits available for redevelopment

For More Information Contact: Shoshanah Inwood, e-mail: [email protected]

Parker
    Participant

Sounds great to me!

coolbuckeye
    Participant

OK so I’m totally thinking way ahead here. But I would love to see some effort to have some outreach to the neighboring residents for entry level employment opportunities (lab techs, house keeping, lanscaping jobs). I’m just saying a socioeconomic emphasis on a micro level would really make this project complete.

groundrules
    Participant

That PR thing seems super half-baked. Potential partners? Where’d the name come from? Unless I’m really misreading that, it seems more like a wish list than a plan.

Parker
    Participant

The name was initially to throw a bone to Arshot if they would support this rather than a race track. The name will likely change so it’s nothing to get hung up on. As far as the partners – the project was developed by researchers at Ohio State and it has been presented to ODA and has their support, albeit informally at this early idea stage. The only potential partner on the list that has not been approached yet is the City.

I like the idea of integrating the community into the mix with job training and placement.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

The win level would be high if they could pull it off

Tenzo
    Participant

Analogue Kid wrote >>

The ludicrous level would be higher

It would cost hundreds of millions of dollars with no economic payback.

surber17
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

Analogue Kid wrote >>

Tenzo, you might be one of the most negative people I’ve come across. You’re very quick to shoot down ideas instead of suggesting alternatives. I think this is a great idea that might have some flaws, but I also believe nothing is too big to work through. I can see multiple ways this could be profitable.

Tenzo
    Participant

I can see multiple ways this could be profitable.

Name one.
    (and include why cooper stadium would be a good place)
    and you can also include why this would be better for Columbus than a rail system, if you want.

groundrules
    Participant

Parker wrote >>
    The name was initially to throw a bone to Arshot if they would support this rather than a race track. The name will likely change so it’s nothing to get hung up on. As far as the partners – the project was developed by researchers at Ohio State and it has been presented to ODA and has their support, albeit informally at this early idea stage. The only potential partner on the list that has not been approached yet is the City.
    I like the idea of integrating the community into the mix with job training and placement.

okay, so this sort of confirms what I was suggesting- an idea has been hatched, and parties have been “approached” but these are far from solidified relationships. Calling them partners seems premature. All and all, the portrayal of this project to this point kind of doesn’t pass the smell test.

duncanfj
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

Analogue Kid wrote >>

Really? So the jobs it would produce, the research money it would pull in, the supplying of locally grown food to area restaurants, the possible patents on new tech, etc? So the expansion of the James is also a bad idea? Wow.

surber17
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

I can see multiple ways this could be profitable.

Name one.
    (and include why cooper stadium would be a good place)

I don’t think this has to be done at Cooper Stadium, but I don’t hate the idea either. I like the location due to the fact that it has the potential to add more highly educated jobs to the downtown workforce. We talk about attracting Ohio State grads to stay in town (specifically downtown) … what better way than have them work on a project in their grad school years, then offer them a job after graduation.

For profitability, I don’t see it happening in year 1, but that rarely does for a new business; but they do talk about energy research as a main goal. If they were to integrate their new technology into the business I could see operating costs going down enough for profitability to happen. Granted that is a hypothetical situation, but its not impossible.

Also, sorry if I came off harsh before (in both threads) but a pet peeve of mine is when people say something can’t happen without alternative suggestions.

Tenzo
    Participant

So the jobs it would produce

Spending money JUST to produce jobs is silly. It’s like employing people to stack stones and others to unstake them. I’m an economist. If you want to do something you must show why the money should be better spent there. You could hire people to build a train system or something else.

the research money it would pull in

Show me the money.
    (especially since it’s being researched in other places that make more sense. Why would they pull out an move the money to Columbus?

the supplying of locally grown food to area restaurants

Why? You planning to burn down the places that do that now. Talk about jobs, you are putting the current purveyors out of a job. If this is more efficient you have a net LOSS of jobs.

But don’t worry, restaurants are very cost conscious, I can’t see them buying $100 tomatoes

possible patents on new tech

See number 2 above

For profitability, I don’t see it happening in year 1,

It would never be a profitable venture. If you are looking for profit I’d look someplace else. Like maybe a race track

Again, not a bad idea
    BUT, Wrong time, wrong place (the article itself says its for densely populated urban cores with high rises), wrong need.

Also, sorry if I came off harsh before

Don’t worry about it. I may not be a dick in real life; but I play one here :)

surber17
    Participant

I really dont think you can say this will never be a profitable venture when one of their main goals is energy research. If they find a way to provide cheaper energy to downtown, that’s instant profit right there.

duncanfj
    Participant

Spending money JUST to produce jobs is silly. It’s like employing people to stack stones and others to unstake them. I’m an economist. If you want to do something you must show why the money should be better spent there. You could hire people to build a train system or something else.Show me the money.

Where did I say that spending the money would JUST be to produce jobs? But if the research space isn’t there, it is kind of hard to do research, no?

(especially since it’s being researched in other places that make more sense. Why would they pull out an move the money to Columbus?

Not quite sure what you meant by this. I was speaking of research money from the FDA, Dept of Ag, etc. There would be no pulling out of money from other areas, but would allow for competitive grant money. Also, I think first part of that has more to do with where they are proposing to build it than research being conducted elsewhere. The expansion of research space and the building of purpose-designed research space is good.

Why? You planning to burn down the places that do that now. Talk about jobs, you are putting the current purveyors out of a job. If this is more efficient you have a net LOSS of jobs.

But don’t worry, restaurants are very cost conscious, I can’t see them buying $100 tomatoes

This really makes little sense. Expanding the ability to have fresh produce in the winter that is grown locally, having foods not normally grown in the area, that is going to drive others out of business? It may make restaurants turn away from Sysco, etc, but do you really think Wayward Seed is concerned about this project? And $100 tomatoes?

And you want me to show you profitability and patent possibilities? If we new going in what the research was going to produce, we wouldn’t need to do the research, now would we?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE