Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Schools as Great as our City!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Schools as Great as our City!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Author

SusanB
    Participant

Do we really want to have higher property taxes in Columbus than in Bexley? What a great way to encourage young couples with school age children to move out of Columbus. Look honey, lower taxes and vastly better schools.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Columbus City Schools Looking for Reading Buddies if anyone would like to help:

Columbus City Schools Calls on Community
    Volunteers Needed to Assist Students with Reading

Columbus, OH, September 5, 2013 – Columbus City Schools (CCS) is calling on the Columbus community to help its students develop strong literacy skills in the early grades through a newly developed Reading Support Initiative. Following the adopt-a-school model, CCS is seeking volunteer Reading Buddies for the Reading Support Initiative who can provide additional guided reading support for students who are in the early stages of literacy development in first, second, and third grades.

The Reading Support Initiative is in response to Superintendent Dr. Dan Good’s aggressive approach to address the literacy needs of all students. This is to ensure that students are reading at the third grade standard before they complete third grade. The program builds on the partnership with The Ohio State University to provide Reading Recovery and Literacy Collaborative programs in its primary schools.

“This is part of a multi-varied approach to addressing the literacy needs of our children, so that all children are reading at the third grade standard before they complete their third grade year,” said Superintendent Dr. Dan Good. “The focus here is on fluency, phonetics, targeted vocabulary, and shared reading, those things that sustain progression toward mastery of students’ literacy skills”.

The Reading Support Initiative will provide additional support to struggling readers in first, second, and third grades. The goals of the program are two-fold: to increase student literacy and to increase business, community, and higher education partnerships with individual elementary schools. Reading Buddies will be trained initially in September with a follow-up in November. Reading Buddies will work with students for 20 minutes/twice each week. The lesson will include familiar reading and discussion, poetry reading for fluency and comprehension, and sharing a take-home book.

The goal is to have Reading Buddies in all 73 elementary schools, beginning in September 2013, and continuing through the 2013-14 school year. For more information, visit http://www.ccsoh.us/Community.aspx.

For more information please contact:
    Jeff Warner, CCS Communications Director, 614-365-5680

labi
    Participant

SusanB said:
    Do we really want to have higher property taxes in Columbus than in Bexley? What a great way to encourage young couples with school age children to move out of Columbus. Look honey, lower taxes and vastly better schools.

If only the gifted members of the Education Commission could put their heads together on that one. Or maybe they did, and we just aren’t privy to their thoughts. Perhaps they figured they could just play the “don’t you love children” card and no-one would notice.

I have supported every school levy I’ve ever been given the opportunity to vote on, but I won’t be on board for this one.

James Ragland
    Participant

I think the comparison to Bexley regarding taxes with the additional support through this levy is interesting. I would assert that the need for additional support for schooling the population that attends CCS is different than the population that attends Bexley Schools. I am not saying that our district cannot be more efficient with our tax dollars. We need to be, and I believe Dr. Good is already implementing a plan to make us more efficient. CCS students come to school with more issues and need more services as a whole than Bexley students. Not saying this is right, just saying it is real.

I would be interested in hearing some thoughts on what can be done immediately to change people’s minds on the levy. Many of you have expressed that you supported CCS levies in the past, and I am interested to know your thoughts on how we might win your support on this issue. November 5 is still in the future enough to implement needed change right now.

Please respond with what you feel are immediate solutions that we can implement in order to move you toward a yes vote.

joev
    Participant

Take the charter piece out and I will consider it. Otherwise, no way, no how, and I’m actively working against this levy.

Also, show that the district is responsible before asking for more money. They are picking a low point in credibility to ask for a very large increase in support. That is a very high bar to pass and I don’t think it’s going to happen for them. Effort should be directed at fixing credibility problems right now, not at grabbing more money.

Along with the provision for charter schools comes a giant concern about adding an additional level of administration to a system that is already much too heavy in administration. I don’t know anyone that will vote for installing a new bonus exec board to govern the elected school board . . . especially with the inevitable ouster of the internal auditor who uncovered the whole scandal.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

We all want schools as great as our city. How does not cooperating with law enforcement in a state and federal criminal investigation garner our trust? How does spending over $1mm and counting in legal defense spur confidence in our leaders? Why is the City Council member who could have put an end to this in 2006 when it was initially reported to him now leading the City’s recently formed education committee? Why did Gene Harris resign with accolades from the City instead of a demand for answers to what is now a criminal investigation? Why was the one honest person who reported this fired? Why are all those involved not coming forward and telling what they knew? Why aren’t City leaders demanding accountability and cooperation from those that failed our students? How does anyone trust the words of a former school board member who betrayed the students for his own political gain (does it get any lower than that?)?

Help me understand why anyone would support this? I didn’t even mention charter schools.

SusanB
    Participant

+a million. ^^^^^

NOBOPatriot
    Participant

I will VOTE NO and am telling all my friends and neighbors to do the same. I will vote yes for the bond issue and no for more school funding. For a property with a house worth $100K your taxes will increase $600 per year. Gene Harris made $300K per year and $125K guaranteed retirement and until the entire school Board including Carol Perkins and all is removed and the adminsitration staff is reduced by 50% I will not vote for any more money for CPSS.

They have a budget of $1Billion and can’t get by – bull shit. They hire an operations director for 150K a year and he can’t even get bus drivers. They are not bs-ing me. There is ZERO accountability. VOTE NO on the con job and tell everyone you know who owns a house to do the same. They will then take 1/2 of the new money and build new schools, they don’t need, with technology that won’t work.

They need to focus on teaching: respect, stay in school and graduate, don’t get pregnant (it’s bad), reading, writing and arithmetic and then 5 years from now when no longer have F’s ask for more funds – not now. Unfortunately, the kids are suffering b/c of the administrators and school board. Every new dollar should go to teachers, teaching and not 1 dollar to a manager or administrator or for bricks, mortar of pcs, gadgets and gizmos.

rory
    Participant

NOBOPatriot said:
    I will VOTE NO and am telling all my friends and neighbors to do the same. I will vote yes for the bond issue and no for more school funding. For a property with a house worth $100K your taxes will increase $600 per year. Gene Harris made $300K per year and $125K guaranteed retirement and until the entire school Board including Carol Perkins and all is removed and the adminsitration staff is reduced by 50% I will not vote for any more money for CPSS.

They have a budget of $1Billion and can’t get by – bull shit. They hire an operations director for 150K a year and he can’t even get bus drivers. They are not bs-ing me. There is ZERO accountability. VOTE NO on the con job and tell everyone you know who owns a house to do the same. They will then take 1/2 of the new money and build new schools, they don’t need, with technology that won’t work.

They need to focus on teaching: respect, stay in school and graduate, don’t get pregnant (it’s bad), reading, writing and arithmetic and then 5 years from now when no longer have F’s ask for more funds – not now. Unfortunately, the kids are suffering b/c of the administrators and school board. Every new dollar should go to teachers, teaching and not 1 dollar to a manager or administrator or for bricks, mortar of pcs, gadgets and gizmos.

Only you can get rid of the school board. It’s a voting thing you know and it turns out it kind of matters.

News
    Participant

BUSINESS LEADERS BACK MAYOR COLEMAN’S EDUCATION REFORM
    Posted by Kitty McConnell on August 23, 2013

Mayor Coleman’s Education Commission gained a strong ally today as the Columbus Chamber officially announced its support of his proposal for Columbus Public Schools reform. The Chamber voted yesterday on a resolution in favor of the appointment of independent auditor and $9.01 million Columbus Public levy.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusceo.com/content/blogs/ceolive/2013/08/businesseducation.html

joev
    Participant

It’s not a $9.01 million levy – it’s a 9.01-mill levy for a total of around $75.5 million in new revenue annually. Sloppy (or intentionally misleading) reporting from Columbus CEO.

derm
    derm
    Participant

The problem is that if you dont vote for the levy, a school will hold the children hostage. They dont really have to cut staff or admin, nor do they want to. They simply pull on the heartstrings and say bummer, now no more clubs,sports unless you pay 400 bucks per, gym, recess, music or art( I guess that is some staff, not admin). Then people feel bad and vote yes. Grandview votes for it all the time. Now we have the most expensive per pupil cost. No busing to speak of and our high school is a complete dump. We do get good grades thank goodness. I wonder what would happen if a levy did not pass here?

Nothing will happen. The budget for this school year is already determined. The board can put a new levy on the ballot in May; the money hits the school system 90 days after it is passed.

Here’s hoping that the May offering won’t involve the extra administration from city politicians and charter cash . . . maybe by May, the state auditor will have reported too.

News
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!