Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Schools as Great as our City!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Schools as Great as our City!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 126 total)
  • Author

lattethunder
    Participant

Aaron Marshall said:
    I don’t have a link for you, but I do know that WITHIN a district funding is equalized as Miriam stated.
    The issue of better areas getting more funding has to do with the disparity in property values between poor and rich districts.
    The property poorest districts are actually in Southeast Ohio (Trimble Local was the poorest) while the Dublins, Beachwoods etc are the property richest districts.
    The state has a sliding scale share of funding that it puts in to try to balance out this inequity between districts. The Ohio Supreme Court ruled four times that the system of funding schools in this state was still inadequate before giving up jurisdiction.

However, within a given district such as Columbus, every school gets the same funding based on a per-pupil allotment. Not that booster clubs/PTAs can’t raise additional dollars…

A per pupil allotment != equalized funding. I’d still like a link on this though.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Interesting info as far as spending-per-student goes in the various districts:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/08/countdown-school-districts-spending.html

CCS is up there at #3, only behind UA and Grandview.

pez
    Participant

Walker said:
    Interesting info as far as spending-per-student goes in the various districts:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/08/countdown-school-districts-spending.html

CCS is up there at #3, only behind UA and Grandview.

For those who are slideshow weary…

20 – Bloom-Carroll Local Schools $8,669
    19 – North Fork Local Schools $8,839
    18 – Northridge Local Schools $8,860
    17 – Liberty Union-Thurston Local Schools $8,962
    16 – London City Schools $8,976
    15 – Licking Valley Local Schools $9,053
    14 – Teays Valley Local Schools $9,273
    13 – Southwest Licking Local Schools $9,283
    12 – Big Walnut Local Schools $9,342
    11 – Jefferson Local Schools $9,345
    10 – Whitehall City Schools $11,174
    9 – Hilliard City Schools $11,336
    8 – Gahanna-Jefferson City Schools $11,425
    7 – New Albany-Plain Local Schools $12,138
    6 – Dublin City Schools $12,709
    5 – Worthington City Schools $13,366
    4 – Bexley City Schools $14,347
    3 – Columbus City Schools $14,614
    2 – Upper Arlington City Schools $15,157
    1 – Grandview Heights City Schools $15,318

Analogue Kid
    Participant

pez said:
    For those who are slideshow weary…

20 – Bloom-Carroll Local Schools $8,669
    19 – North Fork Local Schools $8,839
    18 – Northridge Local Schools $8,860
    17 – Liberty Union-Thurston Local Schools $8,962
    16 – London City Schools $8,976
    15 – Licking Valley Local Schools $9,053
    14 – Teays Valley Local Schools $9,273
    13 – Southwest Licking Local Schools $9,283
    12 – Big Walnut Local Schools $9,342
    11 – Jefferson Local Schools $9,345
    10 – Whitehall City Schools $11,174
    9 – Hilliard City Schools $11,336
    8 – Gahanna-Jefferson City Schools $11,425
    7 – New Albany-Plain Local Schools $12,138
    6 – Dublin City Schools $12,709
    5 – Worthington City Schools $13,366
    4 – Bexley City Schools $14,347
    2 – Upper Arlington City Schools $15,157
    1 – Grandview Heights City Schools $15,318

As a CCS (CPS at the time) graduate and someone who may have kids in the system eventually, I’ve been very conflicted about this levy. I want well funded schools, but I don’t care for the charter school plan and I’m deeply concerned about the data scandal and the lackadaisical attitude of the current board. But this list settles it for me. Throwing more money at the system is not going to fix the problems present, and without the levy the schools won’t be poor by any stretch of the imagination.

It’s important to look at some history here. The last time a levy failed in Columbus was 1990. Then as now, the public sentiment was generally against the school board and (outgoing) superintendent. Certainly there was a lot of worry and hand wringing, but what ultimate happened was the offending people left and in 1991 a re-proposed levy under the guidance of a new and well respected superintendent saw the strongest support in decades.

Voting this levy down doesn’t foreclose our options as a community in the future. It just means that today, this isn’t the right plan.

joev
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:

Voting this levy down doesn’t foreclose our options as a community in the future. It just means that today, this isn’t the right plan.

+10000. I hope to be confident enough in the system to send my daughter there. I care about the outcome. This is a bad plan, and some short-term cuts are not a good enough reason to vote for it.

howatzer
    Participant

pez said:

So… what’s the avg student/teacher ratio in CCS? 25:1? That would be the equivalent of $365,350 per teacher. What’s the avg teacher salary? $60K? At those rates, a whopping 16% of your tax money actually goes to the people that that educate your kids.

Here’s an idea – for the same money, get rid of the entire school system infrastructure and hire 5x as many teachers, decreasing the the student:teacher ratio to 5:1 (like a daycare). And you’d still have $13K per class per year for lunches, fieldtrips, etc.

NDaEast
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:

Agreed 100%. Come back in the spring with a short-term continuing operations levy, and take some time to come up with something that we can trust after you have done a whole lot more to restore credibility (Board resignations, anyone?), something that makes sense, and something that doesn’t break us as taxpayers.

So I got home from work yesterday to find my Columbus City School bus route information in the mailbox. Two days after school started. This is the same City School System that this spring elected to bring bus service in house, and they can’t even get the mailing to parents before the start of school. (I’m not even going to go into the not having enough drivers. But a mailing? Good God.) And while last year’s bus stop was 3/4 mile from the house and my daughter could walk it, this year’s is 1-3/4 mile from the house and I will have to drive her at 6:05 to meet the 6:14 bus, so she can get to school by 7:45.

Doesn’t make much sense to me when I can drive the 3.25 miles to her school at 7:30 and give her 90 minutes more to sleep and not have to drag myself out of the house at 6:05 AM. And thank goodness that I have both a car, and another adult at home so my younger son wouldn’t have to be awakened before 6:00 to go with Dad to take his sister to the bus. But my blessings are not necessarily shared by lots of families who will not have the choices that my family has.

So you (CCS) elect to take operations in-house, can’t even get the most simple of things done on time (send parents notice of where to get the bus before the start of the school year), and provide an unusable bus service. And you expect me to believe I should give you a 24% increase?

Our leaders should have gone for a simple “do no harm” short-term continuation funding until the competence and corruption issues have been thoroughly cleared. To ask voters to throw money at an incompetent and corrupt administration that won’t even admit what the rest of us already know (data scrubbing is wrong, illegal, and done to provide a false image of the district and its schools) is the height of political arrogance.

BetsyB

So it has been almost three years since I last logged on, but I can’t sit idly by and read what is basically crap being slung at CCS. As a parent who has sent their kid to both CCS and Columbus Catholic Schools–I was extremely unimpressed by the Catholic school system. Archaic is the best word to describe them.

My son goes to Westgate and has since the middle of kindergarten. We have been very involved in his school life including meeting with teachers, picking his teachers and other faculty including counselors, therapists, and psychologists. (My son has ADHD and has poor fine motor skills). He is also in the gifted program and has a smaller class due to that. He has had incredible support from his teachers and receives the extra help that he is legally allowed through his disabilities. Your kid’s school experience is about what you put into it. I have close relatives that oversee student teachers in multiple school systems throughout Central Ohio and know for a fact that CCS is right up there with their education, classroom materials, and excellent teachers. Parents need to shoulder some blame for the poor performance. If I am doing at least an hour (minimum)of homework with my kid every night, you have to wonder if others are too. Not all schools are like my son’s, but the teachers can only do so much with the kids they have to teach.

BTW, I also know that those same relatives have been less than impressed with some of the suburban schools that they have been in. I plan to listen to the information I have received from professionals that have been in many different classrooms and have 40+ years experience in education rather than listen to a parent who wants to make sure you know that there is a reason they are paying so much in taxes.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

BetsyB said:
    So it has been almost three years since I last logged on…

Welcome back! ;)

bjones7
    Participant

Right now I am going to vote NO to the simple fact that it doesn’t focus on Columbus Public Schools. In fact, its helps further distance CCS and Charter schools. After today after the States Report Card on Columbus City Schools, it proves that something drastic needs to happen to help Columbus Public Schools. So why vote YES? Yes some of the money will go to Columbus Public, but it also goes to Charter schools making them more appealing and ultimately doing little for Columbus Public Schools .

Columbus Public Schools needs a change but its hard when “no one cares” because there are other options such as charter schools.

Aaron Marshall
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    Right now I am going to vote NO to the simple fact that it doesn’t focus on Columbus Public Schools. In fact, its helps further distance CCS and Charter schools. After today after the States Report Card on Columbus City Schools, it proves that something drastic needs to happen to help Columbus Public Schools. So why vote YES? Yes some of the money will go to Columbus Public, but it also goes to Charter schools making them more appealing and ultimately doing little for Columbus Public Schools .

Columbus Public Schools needs a change but its hard when “no one cares” because there are other options such as charter schools.

If you live in Worthington, you can’t vote anyway.

Larger point: Do we care about the schools or the students that go to the schools?
    Charter schools are public schools. The kids that go to them are Columbus kids.
    I don’t get the hang up on this.

James Ragland
    Participant

Aaron Marshall said:
    If you live in Worthington, you can’t vote anyway.

Larger point: Do we care about the schools or the students that go to the schools?
    Charter schools are public schools. The kids that go to them are Columbus kids.
    I don’t get the hang up on this.

That’s my point as well. I think a lot of people have developed feelings about Charter Schools without actually going to them. They certainly have not heard from the families who send ther kids to charter schools. We have had feeder patterns where children are assigned to “F” rated schools their entire academic careers. Would you blame a parent for wanting to try another option that they feel is more suitable to their childs needs? I have asked any of you who want to visit high performing schools, to reach out to me and I will go with you. That means, CCS, Private, Charter, whatever. Turning our back on these kids is not fair to them. Especially when the message you are trying to send is to the adults. Vote the adults out. It’s that simple.

joev
    Participant

Charter schools soak up resources that are best used strengthening our public school system. It’s a very market-driven solution to a problem that does not follow market principles – that’s why charter schools don’t work. When they fail, they close up in the middle of the year, then start up the next year under a new name. All the costs of their failure are borne by the public school system. I will never vote to fund a charter with public dollars.

Aaron Marshall
    Participant

joev said:
    Charter schools soak up resources that are best used strengthening our public school system. It’s a very market-driven solution to a problem that does not follow market principles – that’s why charter schools don’t work. When they fail, they close up in the middle of the year, then start up the next year under a new name. All the costs of their failure are borne by the public school system. I will never vote to fund a charter with public dollars.

Some charter schools do work. The Graham Charter Schools, to use one example, are very good. There are good and bad charter schools. Charter schools are already funded with public dollars distributed by the state.

joev
    Participant

They shouldn’t be, and I don’t support them. Take ECOT, for example. One of the biggest (if not THE biggest) charter in the state. Dismal achievement scores. Dismal graduation rates. Making money by taking the state share of education funding and not sending kids to school.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 126 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: