Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Schools as Great as our City!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Schools as Great as our City!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
  • Author

James Ragland
    Participant

Let’s support the children of Columbus. Vote FOR the levy! [/url]

joev
    Participant

No way. Giving public dollars to charter schools is not anything I will ever support. I’m voting no.

James Ragland
    Participant

Joev,

The money that would go to charters would flow to those schools that are performing. Why would you care if the school in your neighborhood is a charter, public, or private school if it was a good school and it produces students who are successful?

I’ll couch it another way: If you lived in a neighborhood with two schools-One a charter, the other a district public school, and the charter was clearly outperforming the district school, which school would you send your child to? I look at it from the lens that neighborhood schools that are a part of CCS may or may not be the best option for all families. If a family decides that a charter is the more appropriate option for their child, they should be able to send their child there. The district would benefit from providing more options for parents that represent quality school options for all families. I am just emphasizing that the plan calls for money to to go the schools that are high performing and less likely to fail.

Please support this levy. I have two children who both attend Columbus City Schools. I am aware that our needs are great, and we are facing an uphill battle due to the betrayal that has been levied (no pun intended) on the public, but you will not be punishing our political leaders by voting no. You will be punishing children like mine who have had nothing to do with the fraud that has occured or the continued disgrace that has gone on since the criminal behavior was exposed. If you would allow me, I would be willing to sit with you personally, and anyone else who would like to discuss details about the school system and this levy in particular.

joev
    Participant

I would prefer to fund the city schools rather than starve them to feed charter schools. We need ALL schools to be good and equality in access. WIth a patchwork of charters, there is no consistency and there will be areas that happen to have better charters than others – because they can basically poach the students they want. That’s not a fair system and I do not support it in any way.

joev
    Participant

I am not against additional funds for the school system. This levy should have been two separate issues.

James Ragland
    Participant

What do you mean charters will “poach” students? Charters are public schools and as such must take who comes through their doors. I have experienced public schools who send away students to charters who consistently are 3-4 grade levels behind in reading and math. A more coordinated effort will allow for the CCS schools to work more efficiently with charters who are high performing and provide a better educational environment for all children in Central Ohio. I hear you when you say the issues should have been split. There are many others who agree with you. They have not been split, so voting against the kids because of decisions that adults made is truly harmful. My approach would be to vote to support the kids, then use your vote to punish those who have caused all of this. I hope you do reconsider. I am trying to fight for this one vote at a time.

joev
    Participant

I’m not reconsidering, I’m not voting against kids – I’m voting against charters. If private schools want to compete, they need to do it without public assets.

rory
    Participant

James Ragland said:
    Joev,

The money that would go to charters would flow to those schools that are performing. Why would you care if the school in your neighborhood is a charter, public, or private school if it was a good school and it produces students who are successful?

I’ll couch it another way: If you lived in a neighborhood with two schools-One a charter, the other a district public school, and the charter was clearly outperforming the district school, which school would you send your child to?

That’s the problem in a nutshell. What about the kids are whose parents aren’t with it enough to send them to the charter school? And what’s going to happen to the kids in a neighborhood that have to continue to attend a failing school? This whole thing just going to make a two-tier educational system and a new permanent underclass. My take is fix all the schools or don’t bother.

susank

rory said:
    That’s the problem in a nutshell. What about the kids are whose parents aren’t with it enough to send them to the charter school? And what’s going to happen to the kids in a neighborhood that have to continue to attend a failing school? This whole thing just going to make a two-tier educational system and a new permanent underclass. My take is fix all the schools or don’t bother.

+100

bjones7
    Participant

I’m voting NO!

susank said:
    +100

+100!!! Thats why I am voting NO.

pez
    Participant

The thought of ruining thousands of kids’ educational opportunities and both the city and school system’s reputation over $8.5 million per year, of which most taxpayers portion is a handful of dollars seems silly. The fact is that charters are here to stay and they will continue to receive both state and local dollars regardless of what the vote outcome is.

Contrary to the logic, the big winners here if this doesn’t pass are the for-profit charter schools. The lack of funding will likely starve some of the not for profit schools out and the resulting further decay of the CCS will drive more students to the for profit schools.

I don’t have a say in the matter as a taxpayer as I’m not In the Columbus school district, but I support people like James who know that this levy, while it may not be perfect, may help to keep the divide between CCS and the suburban schools from growing even wider.

MRipley
    Participant

rory said:
    My take is fix all the schools or don’t bother.

Applause, applause! And since the school system has been run so poorly how does anyone know if more money is the answer? Fix the problems first with proper management, not just more money.

Voting no way.

SusanB
    Participant

More money is not the answer IMHO. Did you know that the Columbus School budget is already larger than the entire city of Columbus budget? Crazy.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

rory said:

It’s worth noting that we already have a multi-tier system whether or not you include the charters in it. The secular private schools are a tier. The urban magnet schools are a tier. The suburban public schools are a tier. The religious private schools are a tier. The urban neighborhood schools are a tier.

I’m not entirely convinced that charter schools are, overall, a good policy, and they’ve definitely allowed a lot of public money to enter unscrupulous private hands *cough cough White Hat cough cough*. But opposing charter schools in itself does nothing to help out students in the least successful schools or to make the system more equatable as a whole.

James Ragland
    Participant

The parents of all children must be attentive enough to help their own kids in the best way possible. I am of the mindset that schools that do not produce good students, and specifically High Schools that do not produce employable adults should be closed. I do not care if they are public (district), private, charter, or whatever. If you are not doing the job, you should not be in the business. People are moving with their feet when they can, and in CCS, open enrollment allows for quite a bit of parental choice as it is. Many parents, including myself, already excercise our right to send our children to “alternative” schools that are filled in large part by a lottery. That’s school choice. No the CCS Alternative Schools are not charters, but they are not neighborhood schools either. What difference does it make if parents are already making the choice to go to other schools. If it is a good school, why would you care?

Say a charter school moves into your neighborhood, and ends up producing the same type of students as St. Charles or CSG? This may seem like an unlikely scenario, but just play along. Would you NOT send your child there due to the fact that it is not a district school? We already have a two-tier educational system. Have you BEEN to Olentangy Liberty High School? If you have not, go there then as soon as you leave, travel without stopping to Columbus West. THEN tell me that giving $8 million to high performing charters is going to “create” a two tiered system.

My kids, and their classmates deserve your support. The system is not perfect. You CAN vote out the people who have caused this distress. I am somewhat insulated in that if the levy does not pass, and the cuts are too draconian (which they will be), I have the resources to either move or send both of my children to private schools. There are few people in my neighborhood with that option. They are trying in earnest to raise decent kids in a good family upbringing. They want successful schools to send their kids to. They don’t care whose name is on the front. Again, I would appreciate an opportunity to not only meet with each of you who currently oppose the levy and discuss with you from the perspective of a family who believes in the district how the failure of this levy will devestate our community and our schools. We are fighting an uphill battle, and the energy of folks like who I see here is needed to get it done right. It’s not a perfect plan, but it is a plan. Here is a glimpse of what we are working to become…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!