Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Schools Plan for Fort Hayes Redevelopment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Columbus City Schools Plan for Fort Hayes Redevelopment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ehill27
    Participant

Columbus City Schools’ plan to refurbish Fort Hayes structures could refortify Cleveland Avenue strip

Friday, September 17, 2010

Business First of Columbus – by Carrie Ghose

A sad row of boarded-up military structures could become a historic district bustling with academically oriented service groups under a Columbus City Schools plan to revitalize the edge of its Fort Hayes campus.

The school board is set to vote Sept. 21 on $5 million in infrastructure improvements, including reworked street patterns, safer walkways, ornamental fencing and lighting throughout the campus, plus a utility backbone that will enable redevelopment of a string of vacant buildings.

url=http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2010/09/20/story1.html?b=1284955200^3960341#]READ MORE[/url

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This is excellent news. Fort Hayes High School and the Arts Impact Middle School are already great educational resources Downtown. I imagine that any additional educational components to this area are going to really anchor it and be a big win for the surrounding communities.

Ricolla

As a graduate of Ft. Hayes I’m glad to see some development in this area, this is wonderful news. Those military buildings are a treasure trove of potential and I’m happy they are incorporating them into the plan- instead of letting them sit vacant and unused. That and the kids (me included) go into these abandoned buildings for clandestine activities. There was alot of freedom on that campus back in my day. (don’t want to say how far back)

MikeD

Definitely good news, although that Cleveland Ave strip north of Ft. Hayes/Abbott is a major eyesore and needs much more than this. I’m also a Ft. Hayes grad and glad to see they’re talking restoration. I wasn’t real crazy about them putting money into the AIMS building before restoring the others.

Urbanboi

Very Nice! This is a very interesting place. Does anyone know if you are allowed on the property to look around?

ps

Urbanboi wrote >>
    Very Nice! This is a very interesting place. Does anyone know if you are allowed on the property to look around?

I’ve driven onto the property several times to take photos. Nobody has said a word to me about what was I doing and/or leave the premises. It was on the weekend, though, when things are quite around there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’ve parked at Fort Hayes when doing our semi-regular bike patch cleanup events on the trail that runs along Jack Gibbs Blvd. No one ever seems to mind. But that’s also on weekends.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: