Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scenic Drives within Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Scenic Drives within Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Chris Landauer
    Chris Landauer
    Participant

I recently happened upon Walhalla Road and discovered the amazing beauty of that drive. I’m wondering if there are other scenic roads in town that I might not be aware of.

Please share if you know of any.

Thanks

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wahalla is awesome, and bested only by a similar ravine drive on Overbrook Drive, just south of Cooke Road. Though sometime recently it has been blocked off from Cooke on the eastern stretch, so it’s a dead-end and you have to turn around and head back out (I believe the western stretch is still connects from Cooke to High Street). Good stuff.

foxforcefive
    Participant

I think Sunbury Road south of Easton Way is a pretty drive, and a little curvy.

DavidF
    Participant

Noe-Bixby between Main and Broad is a pretty drive.
    315 between 270 and Delaware has always been a favorite. Construction has that one closed down for now though.

+1 on Sunbury.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

+1 on both Sunbury and 315 Far North

I guess the rule of thumb is that any winding road that follows a river, creek or stream generally yields good results. I’d add Riverside Drive into the mix, though it’s often a little too fast and too wide/busy to be scenic the whole way.

lattethunder
    Participant

DavidF said:
    Noe-Bixby between Main and Broad is a pretty drive.
    315 between 270 and Delaware has always been a favorite. Construction has that one closed down for now though.

+1 on Sunbury.

+1 for Noe Bixby! Those houses have beautiful lots!

goldenidea
    Participant

Rent a CoGo and ride up the Olentangy Trail.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    +1 on both Sunbury and 315 Far North

I guess the rule of thumb is that any winding road that follows a river, creek or stream generally yields good results. I’d add Riverside Drive into the mix, though it’s often a little too fast and too wide/busy to be scenic the whole way.

+1 Riverside, but yeah hit it at off hours.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’d add Riverside Drive into the mix

Consider driving along Griggs. The southernmost entrance is at the dam itself – look for the police station that looks like a ranch house (it was, actually; the city bought it and had it moved to that site). You can put put put north through the whole park to the northernmost exit on Riverside, opposite the end of Lane Road (not Lane Avenue). Note that the park road is one-way northbound beginning at the Fishinger bridge.

For a scenic drive outside of Columbus, consider driving a loop around O’Shaughnessy Reservoir.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

It’s short, but Big Run Road East is nice in Southwest Columbus.

Pablo
    Participant

Walker said:
    Wahalla is awesome

Walhalla is great – I often run through there at dusk and see deer, fox, owls and raccoons – pretty cool for being in the middle of the city!

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Walhalla is great – I often run through there at dusk and see deer, fox, owls and raccoons

what about ghosts?

http://www.weirdus.com/states/ohio/road_less_traveled/walhalla/

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

In the 70s, Walhalla was not yet a one-way road. (Those ghost stories cited in the link were circulating back then, too.) We would cruise that road, among others. One time my rowdy friend was taking the road uphill as fast as he could in his Buick Wildcat, booming up the middle of the road, and I said “Someday you’re going to meet yourself coming the other way.”

Pablo
    Participant

vestanpance said:
    what about ghosts?

http://www.weirdus.com/states/ohio/road_less_traveled/walhalla/

Haven’t seen any………yet

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Walhalla is great – I often run through there at dusk and see deer, fox, owls and raccoons – pretty cool for being in the middle of the city!

Did the fox talk to you? What did it say? I want to know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: