Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Skyview Towers Apartments on Sawyer Blvd.

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Skyview Towers Apartments on Sawyer Blvd.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 323 total)
  • Author

Cookie

CDS sherman wrote >>
    i love this from there website.
    “Experience the amenities and lifestyle of downtown Columbus. Live in the midst of all the activity where professional sports, museums, the zoo and events are all near this quality apartment community for an affordable price.”
    the zoo is no where near this place, did these out of towners do there home work?

Haha! I got that same thing in the mail and thought, “The zoo?”

CDS sherman

double post…

CDS sherman

futureman wrote >>
    On a related note ….
    http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2010/08/02/story10.html
    Former Sawyer Towers complex attracts tenants since reopening
    When VTT Management Inc. bought the Sawyer Towers public housing in October, CEO Vaios Theodorakos hoped the Columbus project would attract eight to 12 new tenants a month.
    A bit more than a month on the market, the first half of the renamed Skyview Towers has signed 50 tenants following extensive renovations to the

READ MORE

im fairly certain that they except section 8 vouchers, most of who received vouchers from the demolition of sunshine annex may have moved to skyview towers i was told. with CMHA razing and selling alot of their property that may explain why its filling up quickly. isnt 425 a month the HUD guideline for a 1 bedroom in columbus ohio?

futureman
    Participant

CDS sherman wrote >>

futureman wrote >>
    On a related note ….
    http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2010/08/02/story10.html
    Former Sawyer Towers complex attracts tenants since reopening
    When VTT Management Inc. bought the Sawyer Towers public housing in October, CEO Vaios Theodorakos hoped the Columbus project would attract eight to 12 new tenants a month.
    A bit more than a month on the market, the first half of the renamed Skyview Towers has signed 50 tenants following extensive renovations to the

READ MORE

im fairly certain that they except section 8 vouchers, most of who received vouchers from the demolition of sunshine annex may have moved to skyview towers i was told. with CMHA razing and selling alot of their property that may explain why its filling up quickly. isnt 425 a month the HUD guideline for a 1 bedroom in columbus ohio?

Earlier this week they had the full article up and I recall reading that developer was planning on 20% of the building being section 8 housing. The article also mentioned that of the first 50 tenants only a handful were section 8 and the developer was shocked by this.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I was under the impression that the new owner of the Towers was going to redevelop them?

Sawyer Towers & Lincoln Park May Be Renovated

But it sounds like that doesn’t mean much?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

carnasiruis wrote >>
    What is the name of that area? Just so I can learn more about this great city.

It might be considered at the northern end of the King Lincoln District (my neighborhood) depending on what map you look at. Sometimes I’ve seen the northern boundary for the neighborhood cut off at Atcheson though, which would make the area probably more generically referred to as “The Near East Side”.

Anyway, as far as your original question about proximity goes, the towers are exactly 2 miles from Downtown, so they’ve got great proximity within a short bus/bike ride or drive. That being said, the immediately adjacent area is still pretty sketchy, so I really wouldn’t want to live right there myself, even though things get much nicer 3 or 4 blocks south, closer to Long Street.

Cookie

Walker wrote >>
    I was under the impression that the new owner of the Towers was going to redevelop them?
    http://www.columbusunderground.com/sawyer-towers-lincoln-park-may-be-renovated
    But it sounds like that doesn’t mean much?

Sounds like they’ve really expanded if it’s close to downtown and the zoo.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CDS sherman wrote >>
    the closet grocery store may be a bit of hike. the only one i could think of would be kroger on main st or the save alot on main.

The Towers are only .8 miles from Arena Produce, which is awesome, although not a fully stocked grocery store. ;)

Arena Produce: A Best-Kept Grocery Secret

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cookie wrote >>
    Sounds like they’ve really expanded if it’s close to downtown and the zoo.

Uh… it’s less than a mile outside of Downtown. I’d consider that to be pretty close.

The zoo on the other hand…

Columbusite

Yeah, you’re better off in the southern half of King Lincoln or Olde Towne East if you’re interested in the area (keep a bit of a buffer from E Main, Ohio, and Champion as a general rule, but there are of course exceptions block to block with the latter two). Personally, I’d look for somewhere near Parsons so that you’re within walking distance of Black Creek, Yellow Brick, and Carabar. Can’t go wrong with Old North though.

CDS sherman

Walker wrote >>

CDS sherman wrote >>
    the closet grocery store may be a bit of hike. the only one i could think of would be kroger on main st or the save alot on main.

The Towers are only .8 miles from Arena Produce, which is awesome, although not a fully stocked grocery store. ;)
    http://www.columbusunderground.com/arena-produce-a-best-kept-grocery-secret

yeah they really need a decent grocer over there. where do people shop for food? corner markets i assume as thats the only close option here. the main st bridge does make access to the BD kroger a little easier.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’ve been carless for the past month and we hop on the #16 (Long Street) and ride thru Downtown right over to the Brewery District Kroger. 15 minute ride. Pretty easy. A closer option would be nice though.

CDS sherman

thats not bad at all. i know it can be a pain dragging bags of groceries on the bus though. i see cabs at the BD kroger all the time,wonder what the fare would be. not worth it im sure.

hivner1

God, they are practically paying people to live here. I am familiar with the area and I remember when Windsor Terrace was hell on earth. The projection seems good for the future. I say fill em up! I might look into it- that price is hard to pass on.

carnasiruis

Thank you everyone for the information. Based on what you have said, I think I will staying in Olde North. Even though those prices are crazy, I want to feel secure when I’m at work (I work 3rd’s). I think I would worry break ins while I was at work. Plus I love the atmosphere here in “Awesome Town” of Olde North. Close enough to campus without the crap, I’m just far enough of High not to have to deal loud drunks, and close enough to Crew Stadium to walk there and to Studio 35 also.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 323 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: