Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Savor Growl

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Savor Growl

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #558311

    DouginCMH
    Participant

    roy said:
    Does anyone know the relationship between Crest Gastropub and Savor Growl and the other Ali Alshahal / Abed Alshahal owned businesses? Columbus Monthly reported that the two are brothers and business partners.

    Are Ali Alshahal and Abed Alshahal actually brothers and are they partners in all these businesses (Savor Growl, Savor Market, Fourth Street, Crest etc)? Who are they and how did they get their start?

    There’s some background here:

    http://livelocalcolumbus.com/2013/08/crest-community/

    http://614columbus.com/article/new-wave-5837/

    The Shahal family has been busy these days. Ali’s father used to own Weber Market, and now his sister Manal Alshahal and her husband Firas Habi are executing their own vision for the area, one that reflects the sleek, new, craft-brew vibe. Savor Growl, as it is now called, has seen the old market convert to bottle shop with 60 taps for thirsty neighbors who want to fill their growlers.

    The Shahal family hasn’t officially announced their intention of dominating the local beer scene, but they’ve certainly carved out a burgeoning little empire on the north side of town.

    #558312
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    The Shahal family hasn’t officially announced their intention of dominating the local beer scene

    Until now apparently.

    #558313

    myliftkk
    Participant

    Morons.

    This.

    If you’re going to flip a good, you don’t buy the same good in the exact same local market you’re trying to flip it in. That’s basic flipper economics 101, and a major fail. It’s like amatuer hour. Next time they should at least be smarter about it and drive to Dayton or something to buy their Hopslam. Really, who sits around thinking, “I know, let’s go buy all the Hopslam at the Giant Eagle next fucking door and mark it up for resale”. Unless they’ve been imbibing a little too much of their own product.

    On the art thing. This stuff happens all the time, and really they just needed to post an apology and make sure next time someone creates a flyer (and who knows who did it, or who did it for them), they actually use an original image or compose their own.

    #558314
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    On the art thing. This stuff happens all the time

    Well, yes and no. Yeah, lots of people pull generic images off google and use them…they shouldn’t, but do. This image though, they had to actually photoshop off the copyright to do it. I mean, at some point while you’re cutting and pasting the word “copyright” off an image, it should really occur to you that you shouldn’t.

    #558315

    Geno99
    Participant

    myliftkk said:
    This.

    If you’re going to flip a good, you don’t buy the same good in the exact same local market you’re trying to flip it in. That’s basic flipper economics 101, and a major fail. It’s like amatuer hour. Next time they should at least be smarter about it and drive to Dayton or something to buy their Hopslam…

    LOL. That was actually pretty ballsy on their part. Their regular customers can find their Hopslam without having to waste time and gas driving around town. Pure capitalism. Unfortunately, it is also illegal.

    Giant Eagle was also not very bright here. They should have put a 3-case limit per customer or something on a high demand seasonal item like this.

    #558316

    myliftkk
    Participant

    Coremodels said:
    Well, yes and no. Yeah, lots of people pull generic images off google and use them…they shouldn’t, but do. This image though, they had to actually photoshop off the copyright to do it. I mean, at some point while you’re cutting and pasting the word “copyright” off an image, it should really occur to you that you shouldn’t.

    We have to clarify we have no idea who the “they” is in this case. I’m a little more forgiving of this stuff (since they weren’t selling something with the image, like a t-shirt) only because this kind of throwaway promotional stuff gets made by employees or interns the vast majority of the time, and the % of the population that understands copyright infringement is a tiny fraction of the number of people who actually do that kind of stuff on an as needed basis.

    Not saying the owner didn’t do it themselves, and they should have just posted an apology, but I wouldn’t read too much conspiracy into it at first glance (even with the other thing).

    #558317

    myliftkk
    Participant

    Geno99 said:
    LOL. That’s actually kind of ballsy, and if you’re a regular customer of theirs

    LOL. That was actually pretty ballsy on their part. Their regular customers can find their Hopslam without having to waste time and gas driving around town. Pure capitalism. Unfortunately, it is also illegal.

    Giant Eagle was also not very bright here. They should have put a 3-case limit per customer or something on a high demand seasonal item like this.

    Outside of illegality though, vast majorities of consumers dislike like flippers in general. I see this all the time in the art/collectible markets where it’s not illegal, but generates just as much hate. The only difference being the flippers do a better job covering their tracks. They’ll have their wife order something from her place of employment, and the husband from home. Or, they’ll pay someone in another state to order something, and have it shipped elsewhere. Or, they’ll pay a person simply to order and resell with very little connection to them. That’s why I said this was amatuer hour.

    My understanding was GE did have a limit, which they circumvented by coming at a hour when the person who would have enforced it wasn’t there. Another reason why it makes little sense to distribute high demand limited goods through giant corps who honestly aren’t going to vet the customer base.

    #558318

    Geno99
    Participant

    Fortunately, Twitter now exists, and they were busted via social media. The consumer has more power than ever before.

    #558319

    jdubilla
    Participant

    myliftkk said:
    We have to clarify we have no idea who the “they” is in this case. I’m a little more forgiving of this stuff (since they weren’t selling something with the image, like a t-shirt) only because this kind of throwaway promotional stuff gets made by employees or interns the vast majority of the time, and the % of the population that understands copyright infringement is a tiny fraction of the number of people who actually do that kind of stuff on an as needed basis.

    Not saying the owner didn’t do it themselves, and they should have just posted an apology, but I wouldn’t read too much conspiracy into it at first glance (even with the other thing).

    The book doesn’t actually have the copyright notice on the cover; that particular image did (and you can find plenty online without it). It is less an issue of copyright infringement than it is of just being a dick move. A lot of hard work went into that book and it’s kind of insulting to see the image used that way.

    #558320

    The Crest Gastropub would like to clarify that the owners of The Crest are not connected in any way to the ownership or management of Savor Growl. The Alshahal family sold the previous business, Weber Mart to Firas Habli.

    The Crest

    #558321
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    TheCrestGastropub said:
    The Crest Gastropub would like to clarify that the owners of The Crest are not connected in any way to the ownership or management of Savor Growl. The Alshahal family sold the previous business, Weber Mart to Firas Habli.

    The Crest

    Good information, as the Alshahal family shouldn’t be getting any of the heat for this.

    #558322

    DouginCMH
    Participant

    That’s good to know. Reporting on the ownership status of these businesses has been confusing, to say the least. Prospects for the new Growl! store on High Street in C-ville just improved, I’d say. Anyone have an update on when it’s supposed to open, by the way?

    #558323
    SJT
    SJT
    Participant

    One of the owners was in last night. They are close. Waiting on inspections now. Probably a few weeks away. I can’t wait. I have know these guys for 15 years. It will be an excellent addition to Clintonville!

    #558324

    meltsintowonder
    Participant

    Philip is a great guy and I look forward to checking out Growl.

    So it appears that Savor Growl updated their list of brews on Beer Menus. I get email updates and it notified me that they now have Bell’s Hopslam for $17.99/6pk.

    http://www.beermenus.com/places/9620-savor-growl

    Get it while you can.

    #558325
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    So what sort of ramifications could there ultimately be?

    Can the DLC fine them? Suspend their license? Etc?

    Will they lose the ability to sell Bell’s beer?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 164 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: