Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Savor Growl

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Savor Growl

Viewing 14 posts - 151 through 164 (of 164 total)
  • Author

Adamant
    Participant

Is there any follow-up to this story?

I’d also like to hear about commonwealth.

JakeNic
    Participant

Just wanted to share another suspicious tactic by the Savor folks. I’d read a couple of reviews that said that Savor Pint overcharges for purchases. Even though it’s conveniently located for me, I don’t go there often, mostly because I tend to forget about it and I usually just get my beer at Weiland’s when I’m picking up groceries.

Anyway, couple of days ago all I needed was beer so I went to Savor Pint. Two six packs (one of which was priced higher than I’ve seen other places) and a single bottle which seemed to be priced a bit high, but I wanted to try it. $8.99 + $8.99 + $3.47, and the total came to $24.48. I knew that sounded wrong but let it go and did the math at home. The actual total (for already overpriced beer) should have been $21.45 + 7.5% tax = $23.06.

It’s just a couple of bucks and it isn’t like I can’t afford it, but it’s super shady. How many people (myself included, in that moment) either don’t notice or choose not to make a fuss? I would imagine that $1-$2 per customer really adds up….

clancy12
    Participant

Yes, that sounds like them. I can say there seems to be no price stability there.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

It’s weird, they have a loyal following. I doubt that they’ll feel any loss of business if any of this shadiness does come to fruition.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Wow. That’s a lot of money for 12 beers. I don’t get it. I don’t get the consumer side and I don’t get how these companies are making much profit manufacturing at their scale. the difference in price between a Budweiser purchase of same quantity is almost the after tax hourly rate of many Americans. Does it taste good enough to work an extra hour for 12 beers? Are you changing the world with your purchase.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Wow. That’s a lot of money for 12 beers. I don’t get it. I don’t get the consumer side and I don’t get how these companies are making much profit manufacturing at their scale. the difference in price between a Budweiser purchase of same quantity is almost the after tax hourly rate of many Americans. Does it taste good enough to work an extra hour for 12 beers? Are you changing the world with your purchase.

Yes. Yes, it does.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>

Yes. Yes, it does.

Correct. And I love a nice cold Coors Original, but relaxing at home I can’t do it.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

The craft beer market isn’t a 20 billion dollar a year market simply because people haven’t discovered Budweiser.

JakeNic
    Participant

I’m not trying to change the world with my beer choices, and have no problem tossing back some good ol’ Budweiser. But I also enjoy other beers and am willing to pay extra to enjoy them. Besides, if I’m drinking something cheap because it’s a hot day and I’m working on something, for example, I may drink several. But if it’s something a little more “interesting”, perhaps with a higher ABV and more complex flavors, I may drink only one. So it works out.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Leaving aside the taste comment (which is subjective, but I echo Gus W’s comment that the taste most definitely makes craft beer worth it over Bud et al), I don’t understand how you have a hard time seeing craft breweries making a profit “at their scale”. It’s a little thing called supply/demand. The craft beer segment has been growing by double digits for years now, and here in Columbus, local breweries can’t keep up with demand. Not everyone will survive, of course. But in a premium price/high demand industry, there’s room for a profit.

Reportedly, the profits are easier to guarantee for breweries who stay small. What we’ve seen in recent years is a growing trend for larger craft breweries to sink tens of millions of dollars into expansion. Based on their history – and the great beers they make – I’m sure Stone’s new brewery in Richmond will work out well for them. But I do wonder if their Berlin venture. Similarly, BrewDog is spending a lot of money on their US brewery here in Canal Winchester. but they have almost no existing market presence in the US. To me, it seems like quite a gamble.

That said, yeah, craft breweries are making money. Interesting to note, by the way, that I heard that Rockmill has finally lowered its keg prices and is producing larger kegs, which means they’re starting to show up in local tap rooms.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I get the profits are easier to maintain at smaller places. So few people can resist the pressure/urge to validate their success by expanding with borrowed money.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Well, I don’t know. There are about 4,000 craft breweries in the US. Obviously, some are expanding, but not all. Borrowed money isn’t necessarily evil. I wouldn’t be a homeowner without it.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I bought a bottle of wine and a six pack of beer at the north Savor on Indianola last Friday, I just checked the receipt and it appears to add up correctly.

JakeNic
    Participant

I also picked up a six-pack recently and it was rang up correctly and charged the appropriate tax. I’m still going to keep an eye on them from here on out, but maybe it was just a quirk.

Viewing 14 posts - 151 through 164 (of 164 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: