Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Market in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping The Market in Italian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • Author

VicVillage Guy
    Participant

The old mechanic garage on the corner of Summit and 1st just went back on the market a few weeks ago. The site previously had some environmental issues . The site recently got cleaned up and received a clean bill of health from the city. NAI Ohio Equities has it listed at $299,000. I hope someone does something there. It would have a lot of parking or room for expansion.

rory
    Participant

VicVillage Guy said:
    The old mechanic garage on the corner of Summit and 1st just went back on the market a few weeks ago. The site previously had some environmental issues . The site recently got cleaned up and received a clean bill of health from the city. NAI Ohio Equities has it listed at $299,000. I hope someone does something there. It would have a lot of parking or room for expansion.

I’d guess that for $299,000 that the building is dozer bait. It’s a decent sized parcel. Apartments?

Wonder what will go into the old S&K?

goldenidea
    Participant

The site previously had some environmental issues .

I’ve heard that the S&K site may have some old underground storage tanks that will need to be removed as it was originally a Shell gasoline station. As I recall, the Shell station at 5th and High didn’t seem to have a lot of environmental issues, so perhaps the S&K site won’t need much if any remediation either.

These old gas stations sites make intriguing parcels for redevelopment.

rory
    Participant

Indeed. Developing the taxi place and the used car/Mexican long distance store at 5th and Summit would truly be transformational. That corner is ripe for redevelopment.

mbeaumont
    Participant

So much potential all over Italian Village!

News
    Participant

The Market Proposed as New Italian Village Corner Shop
    Published on May 18, 2013 9:20 am
    By: Walker

While residents of Italian Village have multiple grocery stores located just outside the neighborhood, what they don’t have is a neighborhood-centric corner store to call their own. That could potentially change this fall, as local entrepreneur Ali Alshahal has proposed to turn the former Saveway Mart into a new concept known simply as “The Market”.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/the-market-proposed-as-new-italian-village-corner-shop

ehill27
    Participant

Now if they can just eliminate the Summit/4th speedways…

mrmann

Awesone, this is only 3 blocks south of me. Great news for IV.

Closer to home, I really hope the S&K doesn’t turn into a hooka bar.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I attended the Italian Village Commission meeting last night and it was a total lovefest for this project from everyone. Far from pushing back on anything, they were encouraging the team behind the Market to go even further with certain aspects (like possibly adding in a fenced-in patio for more service and seating).

The whole commission commended the team behind it and complemented them on their stellar reputations.

I don’t think we’ll see any delays with this one, at least from the commission.

rory
    Participant

mbeaumont said:

The whole commission commended the team behind it and complemented them on their stellar reputations.

Apparently they have not talked to University Area Commission or the University Area Review Board.

mbeaumont
    Participant

So the entire sidewalk around The Market has been torn up today! Looks like things are getting started!

mbeaumont
    Participant

Facebook page is up and work continues out front.

https://www.facebook.com/MarketItalianVillage?ref=stream

Updated render (from Facebook) with fenced in patio area:

Current progress:

mbeaumont
    Participant

New sidewalk and curb are finished, inside is nearly gutted and portions of the walls and roof are coming down!

mavrck
    mavrck
    Participant

I drove by there this weekend and I’m exciting to see this move along. One more step in the right direction for the area.

groundrules
    Participant

walked by and saw it up close over the weekend. Damn, some of that old roof structure looked baaaad. I wonder if that was a surprise when they pulled off the old facade.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: