Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Save Ohio History!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Save Ohio History!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

On June 3rd the Ohio Senate passed it’s version of the State’s budget bill.

If allowed to go through as written, our communities stand to lose funding for even more OHS programs, including National History Day (a competitive history project program for students), the OHS Local History Office (which supports local history initiatives in over 800 communities), and the Ohio Historical Markers program.

This strikes me as backward and short-sighted. Given the current economy, I would argue that this is exactly the time we should be promoting Ohio and it’s heritage, not hanging it out to dry.

Those Historical Markers do more than just inform, they help to shape our perceptions about our communities and develop our sense of place; and for crying out loud, National History Day originated in Ohio!!!

If you agree that these programs should be saved, I urge you to contact your state legislators and let them know how you feel. The OHS has a handy “Take Action” page set up on their web site that makes it easy to share your concerns.

Save Ohio History.

Tenzo
    Participant

What programs are you suggesting these replace?

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I know that Serpent Mound and Fort Hill are in very real danger of being closed.

Can you imagine, going on a trip to Stonehenge, and finding the gate locked? Closed. Due to budget constraints.

And guess what happens then? Vandalism.

joev
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>
    I know that Serpent Mound and Fort Hill are in very real danger of being closed.
    Can you imagine, going on a trip to Stonehenge, and finding the gate locked? Closed. Due to budget constraints.
    And guess what happens then? Vandalism.

From what I’ve heard, Serpent Mound and Fort Hill would remain open, but the visitors centers/interpretive museums at the sites would close. There would still be a groundskeeper. That info is a few weeks old, though.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I know of certain groups that are being approached to take over the groundskeeping. But these places are in very real danger. The visitors centers are already barely open. This issue is very rapidly changing with each passing day.

joev
    Participant

I do know that a lot of the OHS sites are looking for public/private partners to help keep them open. Some have been more successful than others. It’s a really sad state of affairs. It is an incredibly tough budget year, though. When social services for the poor are on the table, you know it’s going to be tough for every entity out there that receives public funding.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Amen to that. Which just goes to show how jacked up our financial structure is.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

One of the biggest issues within OHS is it’s current business model. Continuing to throw money without addressing their structure or style is going to continue to plague Ohio with these issues every time we do the budget.

Not saying these things shouldn’t be saved. But there are some serious issues to look at.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I agree.

I spent every summer at Fort Hill for eight years, at the summer camp that is adjacent to the hill/visitor’s center. I wonder if the camp is one of the groups being approached to help care for the hill. I hope something is figured out; I’d be sad to see it closed.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>
    I know of certain groups that are being approached to take over the groundskeeping. But these places are in very real danger. The visitors centers are already barely open. This issue is very rapidly changing with each passing day.

Is there a good source for information on these issues?

adrock

i love ohio history and of course no one wants to see things close, but in a financial crisis, this is the stuff that should be cut first isn’t it? doesn’t pretty much every elementary school within 90 minutes go visit that serpent mound for a field trip? charge like $1/kid and they’ll be fine. or heck, turn it into a history lesson/volunteer day where the kids help out.

stickland has cut over a $1 billion from the budget in the past couple years, and these people are whining because they’re just now having $1.45 million cut? join the party. there have been hospitals shut down. when things get better, i’m sure they’ll be back to normal. strickland will get my vote in 2010.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

adrock wrote >>
    i love ohio history and of course no one wants to see things close, but in a financial crisis, this is the stuff that should be cut first isn’t it? doesn’t pretty much every elementary school within 90 minutes go visit that serpent mound for a field trip? charge like $1/kid and they’ll be fine. or heck, turn it into a history lesson/volunteer day where the kids help out.
    stickland has cut over a $1 billion from the budget in the past couple years, and these people are whining because they’re just now having $1.45 million cut? join the party. there have been hospitals shut down. when things get better, i’m sure they’ll be back to normal. strickland will get my vote in 2010.

Actually it’s not just now. OHS has gone through a budget crisis at least 2-3 times in the last decade that I am aware of.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>

Is there a good source for information on these issues?

This is FY 08 annual report (PDF file) that I think talks a bit about the growing partnerships. Don’t know if it’s the issues you are looking at.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote
    Actually it’s not just now. OHS has gone through a budget crisis at least 2-3 times in the last decade that I am aware of.

Pretty much. These aren’t the first cuts the OHS has seen, just the most recent. Here’s a few snippets from various Dispatch articles over the last year or so:

3/29/2009

Money is the problem. The parent Ohio Historical Society’s state budget has been whacked 40 percent in the past decade, bringing maintenance to a standstill and forcing staff cuts statewide. The Zoar staff, once 17, is down to seven, including a single tour guide.

3/17/2009

The Ohio Historical Society will lay off 25 employees and reduce hours at 13 historic sites to cope with state budget cuts.

The latest round of budget reductions ordered by Gov. Ted Strickland to make up a $1.2 billion state budget shortfall resulted in the loss of $1.2 million for the society. In the past seven years, the agency has lost 40 percent of its state funding.

8/30/2008

In response, the society announced yesterday that from March 28 to April 3 next year it will close all its sites and furlough employees.

6/24/2009

Acclaimed as a wonder of the ancient world but plagued by a lack of financial support in the modern one, the 2,000-year-old Newark Earthworks could become part of the national park system.

The cash-strapped Ohio Historical Society will decide Friday whether it will work with the National Park Service to study the costs and benefits of transferring the site — which actually includes three earthworks — to the national park system.

Ohio has a rich historical heritage. It’s one of the things that makes our State unique. If you think efforts to honor that heritage ought to be given proper funding, I’d encourage you to share those thoughts with your legislators.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER