Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sandusky resident arrested while mowing overgrown city park grass

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Sandusky resident arrested while mowing overgrown city park grass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

lifeliberty
    Participant

Well I’m SO sorry you don’t find the humor in my post. I work in a union in which working out of class is a HUGE no no and people get ratted on if it happens, especially if a union rep sees it going on.
    And yes, this could be viewed as taking a unionized city worker’s job, even if they have too much work to do.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>
    I think he got arrested because he wouldn’t stop when ordered.

That’s kind of how I read it too. On the face of it, it seems silly, but I suppose if there’s a law against private citizens cutting public grass we shouldn’t be surprised when the cops enforce it.

berdawn

lifeliberty wrote >>
    Well I’m SO sorry you don’t find the humor in my post. I work in a union in which working out of class is a HUGE no no and people get ratted on if it happens.

It didn’t read like humor (to me, anyway); more of just another swipe at those who belong to unions. I envy your ability to part of one. While the board can discuss the pros and cons all day long, I know what a difference having a union can make for the “rank and file” (if I’m using that term correctly) workers.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I’ll go back and put a smiley face so people know I’m joking. Working out of class is something talked of often between those in the union because it hinders a lot of what we should/could be doing. I know people joke a lot about people in unions being lazy and such, (don’t get me wrong, there are lazy people in every job) but some of the times it’s because they aren’t allowed to be as effective as they want to be. For instance, I’d love to go out in the field to talk to some of our agencies about mistakes they make and what they should do to correct them, but I’m not allowed because that is the job of the field rep section. Would continuing education help the program run more efficiently? Yes it would. Is it something I want to do and have talked to Mgmt about? Yes. Am I allowed to do it? No, because that job description belongs to someone else and if I do it, then it would be considered as an act of taking someone else’s job and working out of class.
    So for people working in a union, it is a joke.

Oh, and if you are thinking I’m anti-union, I’m not. That is just they way it is. Management has a whole slew of issues I wouldn’t even want to touch.

berdawn

lifeliberty wrote >>
    I’ll go back and put a smiley face so people know I’m joking. Working out of class is something talked of often between those in the union because it hinders a lot of what we should/could be doing. I know people joke a lot about people in unions being lazy and such, (don’t get me wrong, there are lazy people in every job) but some of the times it’s because they aren’t allowed to be as effective as they want to be. For instance, I’d love to go out in the field to talk to some of our agencies about mistakes they make and what they should do to correct them, but I’m not allowed because that is the job of the field rep section. Would continuing education help the program run more efficiently? Yes it would. Is it something I want to do and have talked to Mgmt about? Yes. Am I allowed to do it? No, because that job description belongs to someone else and if I do it, then it would be considered as an act of taking someone else’s job and working out of class.
    So for people working in a union, it is a joke.
    Oh, and if you are thinking I’m anti-union, I’m not. Management has a whole slew of issues I wouldn’t even want to touch.

thanks for the more detailed explanation! (and the smiley face). There are LOTS of things wrong with the union system, but few alternatives in the US have worked as well for those who have benefited most.

misskitty
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>
    “Obstructing official business?”
    “Persistent disorderly conduct?”
    OK, there has to be more to the story than this. I saw this in the article as well, and maybe this is all there is to it, but I want to say that there might even be more backstory than this:

The employee said Hamilton was blowing grass onto the sidewalk and shredding trash in the park that had not been picked up prior to mowing, so she called the police.
    Upon their arrival, Hamilton told police officers “he is sick of seeing the grass so long in parks, so he is fixing the problem” Police arrested him after he continued to mow when they told him to stop. Officers cited “liability reasons” in the police report.
    At the scene, Sandusky police Officer John Powell measured the grass and it was indeed more than one foot high. Police also found the park littered with paper, bottles and children’s underwear.

I’d also like to know how the officers handled the progression of events. Was it please stop, you’re ruining the sidewalk –> we told you to stop, now stop –> stop or you’re going to get arrested –> you’re under arrest?

I am willing to bet that the cops were cool and mellow about the situation. Also most likely pissed that this women would waste their time on someone trying to be a good Samaritan.

lifeliberty
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>
    thanks for the more detailed explanation! (and the smiley face). There are LOTS of things wrong with the union system, but few alternatives in the US have worked as well for those who have benefited most.

I agree with you, I have definitely benefited. I was just making a crack is all. :)

(I can’t edit the original post with a smiley, but now you know it was just tongue-in-cheek)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Sandusky Register
    Police also found the park littered with paper, bottles and children’s underwear.

Cookie wrote >>
    Seriously, what’s up with the children’s underwear?

I guess i’m wondering too.. I can understand papers and bottles, but why are children’s underwear such a litter problem in Sandusky?

rus
    rus
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Sandusky Register
    Police also found the park littered with paper, bottles and children’s underwear.

Cookie wrote >>
    Seriously, what’s up with the children’s underwear?

I guess i’m wondering too.. I can understand papers and bottles, but why are children’s underwear such a litter problem in Sandusky?

seriously… good question.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

I hope the police started out as gently as they could with the “Please stop doing us a favor” routine. Assuming they weren’t being crazy from the start, then I can see why they were finally forced to cite the guy.

I’m most annoyed by the huge tattle-tale that started the problem in the first place. I don’t doubt he was blowing grass on the sidewalk, but that’s part of mowing. You mow the grass, THEN you sweep. And 12-18 inch grass in a park doesn’t lend itself to a walk through for trash, especially by one guy. I don’t know what would compel someone to call the police about a lawn being mowed.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE