Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sandusky resident arrested while mowing overgrown city park grass

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Sandusky resident arrested while mowing overgrown city park grass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Sandusky resident arrested while mowing overgrown city park grass

Friday, May 29, 2009 8:09 AM EDT

City police officers weeded out a local man at Central Park who just wanted to cut the grass.

Authorities arrested John Hamilton at 8:30 a.m. Thursday as the 48-year-old mowed the grass at the park.

Police charged the Sunset Drive resident with obstructing official business and persistent disorderly conduct.

Hamilton must appear in Sandusky Municipal Court at 9 a.m. today.

“The other day when I went by, I took a look at it and measured it. It (was) a foot tall,” Hamilton said Thursday morning. “We have beautiful parks.”

Staff writer Tom Jackson contributed to this story.

Read More

doc4a1f67eb0c15b699473093.jpg

misskitty
    Participant

Penny Randleman=Bitch
    ETA: So sad that he got arrested for that.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Don’t you dare take a union worker’s job away from them!

misskitty
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>

ahahahhaha ;)

Oh yea that is what some would say but I say if you want and value your job ya better do your job.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wow. I’ve thought about cutting the grass in the little park across the street from my house. Yikes.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I mow my neighbor’s grass behind her garage. she is old and never gets back in the alley. I just do it so the alley does not look so bad. if I didn’t do it it would never get done. Sometimes you just gotta do it, stop if someone complains though. I pick litter off the street and out of peoples’ yards too, no one has ever said something to me about it.

misskitty
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Wow. I’ve thought about cutting the grass in the little park across the street from my house. Yikes.

Yea I know right.
    Remember when I was asking about the park near my home and everyone said you have to do it yourself? Now I just don’t know about that lol
    Although getting arrested for cutting the grass would make for some interesting reactions from the judge.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I think he got arrested because he wouldn’t stop when ordered.

groundrules
    Participant

dude should just move to Toledo

berdawn

lifeliberty wrote >>

How is this about union jobs?

gramarye
    Participant

“Obstructing official business?”

“Persistent disorderly conduct?”

OK, there has to be more to the story than this. I saw this in the article as well, and maybe this is all there is to it, but I want to say that there might even be more backstory than this:

The employee said Hamilton was blowing grass onto the sidewalk and shredding trash in the park that had not been picked up prior to mowing, so she called the police.

Upon their arrival, Hamilton told police officers “he is sick of seeing the grass so long in parks, so he is fixing the problem” Police arrested him after he continued to mow when they told him to stop. Officers cited “liability reasons” in the police report.

At the scene, Sandusky police Officer John Powell measured the grass and it was indeed more than one foot high. Police also found the park littered with paper, bottles and children’s underwear.

I’d also like to know how the officers handled the progression of events. Was it please stop, you’re ruining the sidewalk –> we told you to stop, now stop –> stop or you’re going to get arrested –> you’re under arrest?

Cookie

Won’t somebody think of the children’s underwear?

Seriously, what’s up with the children’s underwear?

lifeliberty
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>

“According to the police report, he was seen mowing the grass by Penny Randleman, a forestry department employee.

The employee said Hamilton was blowing grass onto the sidewalk and shredding trash in the park that had not been picked up prior to mowing, so she called the police.”

Tigertree

I mow the lawn of the house no one lives in across the street from me when it gets tall enough that I can’t stand looking at it any longer. Maybe I need to rethink that.

berdawn

lifeliberty wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>

“According to the police report, he was seen mowing the grass by Penny Randleman, a forestry department employee.
    The employee said Hamilton was blowing grass onto the sidewalk and shredding trash in the park that had not been picked up prior to mowing, so she called the police.”

sorry, I still don’t get it. doesn’t sound as though the forestry person was supposed to be mowing the grass and wasn’t. and from the budget info, this guy isn’t “taking” anyone’s job as there are so few to be had.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE