Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Same-Sex weddings at Catholic Cathedral?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Same-Sex weddings at Catholic Cathedral?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

sirlancelot
    Participant

Recently, I was told that the Roman Catholic cathedral in Columbus could be rented for non-Catholic weddings and could rent the choir, etc. They also permit same-sex ceremonies. Is this true? IF this is accurate, how does the Catholic diocese justify this policy when the Church is so opposed to same-sex marriage and homosexuality?

Eugene_C
    Participant

Recently, I was told that the Roman Catholic cathedral in Columbus could be rented for non-Catholic weddings and could rent the choir, etc. They also permit same-sex ceremonies. Is this true? IF this is accurate, how does the Catholic diocese justify this policy when the Church is so opposed to same-sex marriage and homosexuality?

Non-Catholic groups can rent Catholic Churches, but the diocese won’t provide Catholic ceremonies for them, i.e. no wedding mass, no priests, no burial in Catholic cemeteries, etc.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

IF this is accurate, how does the Catholic diocese justify this policy when the Church is so opposed to same-sex marriage and homosexuality?

I’ll PM you the Pope’s snapchat, you can ask him.

CivilE
    Participant

…how does the Catholic diocese justify this policy when the Church is so opposed to same-sex marriage and homosexuality?

Given recent litigation concerning discrimination of services based on sexual orientation, especially if the church is located within the City limits (which has a non-discrimination ordinance that includes sexual orientation), they likely cannot refuse a same sex marriage unless they want to prohibit all non-Catholic ceremonies. My guess is that it is probably a needed income generator, therefore the almighty dollar wins the day.

The catholic church, per their official doctrine, is not opposed to homosexuality. It is perfectly acceptable to be a homosexual and be within the full graces of the church as long as the person is celibate. Homosexuals are ok, homosexual acts are not.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION