Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Safety Alert Issued For Columbus Gay Community

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Safety Alert Issued For Columbus Gay Community

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Safety Alert Issued For Central Ohio’s Gay Community

Tuesday June 11, 2013 2:51 AM

A safety alert issued for Central Ohio’s gay community, after two incidents of possible anti-gay violence. The first incident happened Thursday in South Columbus, the second early Monday morning in North Columbus. Friends of the most recent victim say he and his ex-boyfriend were walking to their separate homes, both near 5th and Indianola early Monday morning.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/06/14/safety-alert-issued-for-central-ohio-gay-community_.html

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

These incidents, combined with the robbery at Exile last week are really upsetting. Hopefully the police will find the people behind these crimes, and neighborhood residents will be more vigilant about safety in coming weeks.

leftovers

Those apartments on the south side of the street and the carryout at 5th and Indianola are huge problems in the area. I have known several people harassed on their way to Brothers Drake and Midwest Spirits going by there. Several were gay but it is not isolated to them. Basically street thugs in the area making trouble for everyone.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

posted on Facebook by Nina West:

Friday, June 14, 2013

[Description]

In light of recent events and in support of our friends, Christopher Richard Kratavil, Christopher Allen Ashcraft, and David Conley, all recently attacked in Columbus, please wear pink this Friday, June 14.

We all have a responsibility to one another- be it gay, straight, bisexual, transgender. Going into the season of Pride, where we,as a community, fight for equality and inclusion, it is only appropriate that as GLBTQ people, we are equally accepting. I love this greater Columbus community and those, both heterosexual and homosexual, who work towards inclusion.

I will continue to do my part, and you must continue to do yours. We ALL must watch out for one another, and not solely for ourselves. There is work to be done and the only way to get things done and accomplished is to do it together.

Let’s learn what the real meaning behind this season is actually about, stop being so divisive, and work together so that what happened last night does not happen again.

We have a responsibility.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

“Skreened will be giving away pink shirts at Outlook Columbus Magazine at 11:30 am Friday June 14.

We’ll get as many as we can over there (in other words, first come, first served). The plan now is to print up more and get them in everyone’s hands for the summer.

Donations accepted will go to BRAVO (Buckeye Region Anti-Violence Organization).”

Tight Ropewalker
    Tight Ropewalker
    Participant

Anne said:
    “Skreened will be giving away pink shirts at Outlook Columbus Magazine at 11:30 am Friday June 14.

We’ll get as many as we can over there (in other words, first come, first served). The plan now is to print up more and get them in everyone’s hands for the summer.

Donations accepted will go to BRAVO (Buckeye Region Anti-Violence Organization).”

Thanks for the info!

Coy
    Participant

Gone National…

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/11/ohio-alleged-gay-hate-crime-_n_3423784.html0

Almost a month ago I had to intervene in a domestic at 3 in the afternoon in which a guy was actively trying to strangle his transgendered gf to death.

Is it just me or is the city more on edge this summer?
    There have been too many weird/violent/disturbing incidents in the hood recently… more than normal…

susank

I wonder if this is a marked increase in anti-gay hate crimes or the summer violence picking up with asshats attacking anyone for any reason they can think of. A friend of mine was recently followed for a block in the SN by a couple of males who were calling her a prostitute and taunting her.

It is always important to walk in groups and keep your wits about you. This is especially true when going to the bars and parking away from the beaten path. I hope those responsible are found and brought to justice.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I think its a little bit of A and B. Warm weather has people out and about more at later hours for both good and ill. Last night there seemed to be some kind of police chase in IV around Second Ave, several cruisers and a helicopter.
    Hopefully this crime spree will get nipped in the bud before it has a chance to take off.

News
    Participant

Third Man Comes Forward Saying He Was Attacked Because He Is Gay
    Wednesday June 12, 2013 9:59 AM
    By Glenn McEntyre

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A third man is coming forward, saying he was attacked and beaten because he is gay. This would be the third incident of anti-gay violence in Columbus in four days. There are no indications the incidents are related.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/06/12/columbus-third-man-comes-forward-saying-he-was-attacked-because-he-was-gay.html

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

update to Friday event:
    Wear pink to Surly Girl Saloon and Grass Skirt Tiki Room on Friday and 10% of your food sales and $1 of our drink specials goes to BRAVO

Surly Girl Saloon
    Pink Tacos ~ Salmon Tacos with cilantro-lime slaw and citrus salsa, served with rice and beans
    Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
    Pretty in Pink Spritzer

Grass Skirt
    Pink Curry Coconut Rice Bowl ~ pink steamed rice with stir fried bok choy, carrots, red peppers, snow peas and house-made curry coconut sauce – all our steamed rice will be pink that day!
    Pink Paradise cocktail
    Pineapple Napoleon with Hawaiian Pink Sea Salt

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

that is the cutest, most awesome restaurant promo in a while.

also, I want to eat ALL of this:

Pink Tacos ~ Salmon Tacos with cilantro-lime slaw and citrus salsa, served with rice and beans
    Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
    Pretty in Pink Spritzer
    Pink Curry Coconut Rice Bowl ~ pink steamed rice with stir fried bok choy, carrots, red peppers, snow peas and house-made curry coconut sauce

RhondaH

^ And location appropriate too! That attack took place just a block and a half away from Surly Girl. I think this is great and brings awareness of the lack of safety in some of our urban areas. I am in for a pink taco! :)

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

that’s what she said…

sorry, had to happen, if nothing else to prevent FAAAAAR worse punchlines from happening.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

ShadowboxLive:
    Take a stand against LGBT violence!

Wear pink to the 7:30p or 10:30p performances of Best of Shadowbox Live, 2013 on Friday, June 14th and you will receive a $5 Shadowbox Live gift card to use on your next visit (not valid toward your tab that evening).

You’ll be presented your gift card by your waiter at the end of the evening!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: