Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Safest and best path to walk across Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Safest and best path to walk across Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

DavidF
    Participant

pbarney wrote >>
    Okay, thanks for the input Columbusite. Here’s my updated map:
    http://ow.ly/12K0a (version 2)
    I’ve added in Franklin Park Conservatory, which allows me to loop down to Bryden Road. I don’t know if I’ve been there before, so I’m definitely interested in why I should go that way?
    If I go through German Village, then I have to cut out Franklinton. Thoughts, anyone?
    Thank you everyone for your help, I love this!

I used to live in German Village and I think it is a wonderful neighborhood to walk through. That said, I would skip it for this trip and keep Franklinton on your itinerary. I say that because, it is easy to come up with a reason to walk through German Village, but how often does a casual visitor think of walking through a neighborhood like Franklinton?

If you want some company, I’d be happy to accompany you at least part of the way.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

pbarney wrote >>
    Okay, thanks for the input Columbusite. Here’s my updated map:
    http://ow.ly/12K0a (version 2)
    I’ve added in Franklin Park Conservatory, which allows me to loop down to Bryden Road. I don’t know if I’ve been there before, so I’m definitely interested in why I should go that way?
    If I go through German Village, then I have to cut out Franklinton. Thoughts, anyone?
    Thank you everyone for your help, I love this!

Bryden Road is beautiful and has a lot of awesome houses. You can also go north and walk along Oak to check out the old streetcar barn. Just be aware that Bryden is a nice climb going west from the park. It levels off when you hit the freeway overpass.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

pbarney wrote >>
    I also decided that I’m also going to round the trip up to 26.2 miles to make in a marathon walk, since I’m so close in mileage anyway, so any thoughts on where to make up an extra 2.5 miles?

I’d say to make some sort of larger loop through Downtown. Very safe areas to walk, and plenty to look at to make it interesting.

I’ve been thinking about your cool adventure all afternoon. Do you have a dog? I know lots of pups who would be glad to have this kind of exercise. Maybe the shelter could loan one to you :)

tourist19
    Participant

Yay, my street is on your route (I love my street and think it’s very interesting)! I’m not sure when you’re planning on doing this, but if need a pit stop or to refill a water bottle I live by the Topiary Garden on E. Town. If I’m home, you’re more than welcome to stop in, and maybe I’ll join you for part of the trek through Downtown.

I don’t have anything constructive to add about Franklinton though, not familiar with the area.

I think this is a really really cool idea!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

tourist19 wrote >>
    Yay, my street is on your route (I love my street and think it’s very interesting)! I’m not sure when you’re planning on doing this, but if need a pit stop or to refill a water bottle I live by the Topiary Garden on E. Town. If I’m home, you’re more than welcome to stop in, and maybe I’ll join you for part of the trek through Downtown.
    I don’t have anything constructive to add about Franklinton though, not familiar with the area.

Where are Sweeny and Sherm on Franklinton?

10sun

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

tourist19 wrote >>

Where are Sweeny and Sherm on Franklinton?

Sweeney has an office on Broad, Sherman lives on McDowell. The FAD church is also on McDowell… the view of the city from the park just a little further past that on the waterfront is my favorite of the city.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I’m just wondering when they will be popping their heads in here for F-ton advice.

JimSweeney
    Participant

wow. i just happened to be passing by and i heard my name! I agree that this sounds like a fun and interesting exercise. So my advice when hitting that corner of fton is to look in on sherm and/or the Rain Brothers at McDowell and Walnut. There are some awesome old warehouses right there too. If you catch Sherm in person he’ll take you through a couple of them. In any case, 10son is right, the view from Dodge park is the best! you may want to carb up at Tommy’s (a little out of your way at 900 West Broad). If you do stop into the FDA next door and see us. We’ll show you some cool maps!

GW_Justice
    Participant

It there some reason you have Grove City as a destination? That Harrisburg Pike section is going to be boring industrial buildings, and not much space on the side of the road to walk.

My suggestion – after downtown, follow high street south, through German Village. Go over 104, then in a mile or so turn left on Williams Rd., it has a wide berm that is OK for walking. Follow it out almost to 270, go through Three Rivers park, and into Groveport.

JimSweeney
    Participant

i just remembered, just south of Fton is the Greenlawn cemetery which super old and super cool. A must stop on this trip i’d say. http://www.greenlawncolumbus.org/art/about.php

there are some sweet monuments et. al. There also a old mausoleum down there.

As far as SW Columbus there is Schuman’s Meats on 1440 Harrisburg and Breakfast Barn on 1275 Brown if you take that instead (more residential and also lacking sidewalks) to Hopkins then Harrisburg.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but Greenlawn has only one entrance/exit, right? So you can’t really go through it, unless maybe there’s a way to hop a fence to get out.

Once you cross I70 if you head west on Mound to Harmon to Greenlawn Ave and go East on Greenlawn you will dead-end into Greenlawn Cemetery. You can go through it and come out at Harrisburg Pike/Brown Road. Of the two I would say 3C (Harrisburg Pike) has more to offer visually. It’s kinda yucky, mostly fast food and half abandoned strip malls. But there are some interesting old motels and other buildings. Brown Road is mostly residential, so also not that interesting.

Leonard and Taylor section is NOT a good area unless you like a run down part of town that is kinda scary.
    I would go on other part of the bike trail and end up on Broad street.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: