Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rumor : Woof's bar to close

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Rumor : Woof’s bar to close

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Geoff W
    Participant

Good evening Columbus Underground readers,

how are things?

I was just passing along some news I had read earlier on today on a friend of mine’s blog : Woof’s, a long-running Columbus gay “bear bar”, was mentioned as closing down soon.

There have alas been rumors of this happening before. A September 2008 blog entry on their website makes mention of an incorrect-at-the-time belief they would be closing. As a sign that they are unfortunately going away, I visited their website at 11:49 am (“thanks, Google’s tracking system!”). By 2 or 3 pm the entire site was offline. (e.g. deleted, as opposed to ‘server not connecting’ etc).

For a limited time, one can see the Google-archived entry in question (and all entries, up to their most-recent October 2008 one) here :

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:fSex2qCBjVAJ:www.woofscolumbus.com/news/

Although not involved in the ‘bear community’ in town myself, a friend who more so is told me a history of the place : he remembers it being in Merion Village (e.g. “the area south of German Village”) for a while, then moving to Bexley, then to its final location on the east side (vaguely near the airport and next to, if memory serves me correctly, a “Mr. Hero’s” restaurant).

While a number of businesses, gay-themed or no (An Open Book, The Coffee Table coffee shop, Eagle dance bar, The Full Monty, Millenium bar) have alas been disappearing in recent years, there have been some nice new additions as well (Gingham Bakery – just now opening!, Q Bar, heck, a second Zen Cha downtown). We can have a delicate balance of gay bars and places to purchase pastries. Dance off the cupcakes! Additional witty comments inserted here.

Hopefully there shall be another ‘bear bar’ (or ‘bear night’) in town for future fun.

Take care,

* Geoff

CDS sherman

the last time i was at woofs i left in disgust after watching some guy piss on another guy on the patio……

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I’ve only heard about this bar one other time.
    Peeing was involved in that story too.

JimSweeney
    Participant

we’re losing the peeing bar?
    do we have a pooping bar?

CDS sherman

JimSweeney wrote >>

yea its called the stinky gorilla. OH SNAP! looks like you were there!

Matthew
    Participant

This reminds me of some freak on craigslist missed connections who had a rimseat…

CDS sherman

oh my!!

CDS sherman

CDS sherman wrote >>

JimSweeney wrote >>

dammit, i guess i was there too….

Matthew
    Participant

We always enjoyed Garretts.

CDS sherman

garretts was fun. saw some hot ass stripers down there.

Matthew
    Participant

Somewhere Else is ok too. Tradewinds scares me. Knock on wood, I worry that the way they push the fire capacity in there that one day it could be the next big nightclub disaster. (fire or collapse)

CDS sherman

trade winds has like 6 or 7 exits throughout the bar. the back room only has one exit to the outside though. that place still gets packed after all these years. go chuck and mike!

Roland
    Participant

CDS sherman wrote >>

JimSweeney wrote >>

You Franklinton people are kinda funny :)

CDS sherman

now whats funny is me clicking on the message board and seeing the name roland under last poster for this thread. lol yes we are funny people.

placebohigh
    Participant

It wouldn’t really surprise me if they were closing. Back when I lived on that side of town everytime I went in there during the week there was usually only like 3 people.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: