Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Third and Hollywood in Grandview

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Third and Hollywood in Grandview

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 308 total)
  • Author

michaelcoyote
    Participant

thecandlelab wrote >>
    At the risk of swimming against the stream here, we tried this place a couple weeks ago, and loved it. We eat out often, and found the service to be friendly, the food to be delicious, and the setting to be relaxed and enjoyable.

I don’t doubt this.. CM seems to do this pretty well also the times I’ve been there…

thecandlelab wrote >> I think you’re overthinking the concept behind the restaurant. On one hand, there seems to be concerns that the organic/sustainable/green elements aren’t highlighted on the menu, but then you seem to judge them by those standards anyway.

Considering they mention this early and often in any interview/press release I’ve ever seen on 3&h, they’re not getting a pass on this.. If 3&h is going to charge those prices then have a server come out and tell a diner that the chicken is “grass-fed”, then I’m going to take a wild guess that the restaurateur is probably full of shit…

Not to mention that AH, Bear and Drew who have palates I trust have given them a “fair to middlin’ at best” rating, I think I’ll spend my hard earned restaurant dollar at Alana’s or Basi..

I might be wrong, but it’s not worth my money to find out, and at least with the two aforementioned restaurants I *know* where the food dollar is going..

Bear
    Participant

thecandlelab wrote >>
    I think you’re overthinking the concept behind the restaurant. On one hand, there seems to be concerns that the organic/sustainable/green elements aren’t highlighted on the menu, but then you seem to judge them by those standards anyway. …
    Set aside the concept and go in with an open mind, and you’re likely to enjoy some really good food.

…?

I’m really trying to wrap my head around this comment, and I just don’t understand it. It sounds like you’re saying, “Don’t judge the food as if it were organic, sustainable, etc., and you’ll enjoy it.” But doesn’t that amount to saying, “Start with the premise that the owner is lying about all that stuff, and lower your expectations accordingly. Once you’ve done that, the food is great”?

I’m not saying the owner’s lying. I explicitly wrote that rewriting the menus could make a good case for the restaurant’s progressive values, without doing anything else. And even if that were the case, Michael’s point about them not getting a pass is spot on. The higher prices are justified explicitly with reference to “all that stuff.” So why order the $19 tuna salad, if you don’t believe the owner?

As to the larger point, I seem to have conveyed the impression that, when I’m eating a chicken, I’m thinking about how organic-y it tastes. Nope. I’ve got a menu that reads like something out of Michael Pollan, so while I’m thinking about what to order, I’m naturally curious. I ask some questions (and get some unusual answers). I start to think about how the Pollan-esque boilerplate jibes with the wine list. Hey, I’m a curious guy. But when the plate arrives? How good is it — that’s what I want to know. And I did evaluate it on its culinary merits, or at least, I did my level best.

That’s not to say that the two are unrelated. As Drew pointed out, one bedrock claim of the progressive food movement is that the stuff tastes better, and that comes out in Kevin’s CU interview. He comes across as someone obsessed in his quest for the best — only olive oil will do for the salads! PEI mussels aren’t good enough, let’s source them from a small fisherman in Maine! Little foodie dreams are made of stuff like this — when I read it, I thought, “I have got to taste some of the stuff that he’s sourcing — it sounds amazing!” And usually, when I go out of my way to try some food that someone’s taken particular care in sourcing and producing, the difference between that and ordinary fare is like night and day. Was it here? Not really, no.

thecandlelab
    Participant

I can’t argue with any of that. My point was simply that most people dining there haven’t read the interviews with the owner or heard about the sourcing of ingredients. Since its not mentioned on the menu, and the servers aren’t pushing it on you (as they did at Latitude 41), then most diners are left to evaluate their experience on just the quality of the food and the experience. Since the thinking behind it isn’t explicit in the execution of the overall environment or explained on the menu, one is left to assume that’s how the team behind the restaurant wanted it to be judged.

I can see how his comments in Walker’s interview would lead you to a different conclusion, but I get the sense that was an attempt to address the concerns posted here and elsewhere, and not a PR push by his choice.

There seemed to be a lot of comments on here from people that hadn’t been to the restaurant, but had already made judgements about the concept. The food at our table was all delicious and justified the price we paid, independent of where it was sourced or how “organic-y” it was. I think its worth a try, and as a fellow business owner in Grandview, I think its a good addition to an already great lineup of restaurants along the Avenue.

Bear
    Participant

thecandlelab wrote >>
    I can’t argue with any of that. My point was simply that most people dining there haven’t read the interviews with the owner or heard about the sourcing of ingredients. Since its not mentioned on the menu, and the servers aren’t pushing it on you (as they did at Latitude 41), then most diners are left to evaluate their experience on just the quality of the food and the experience. Since the thinking behind it isn’t explicit in the execution of the overall environment or explained on the menu, one is left to assume that’s how the team behind the restaurant wanted it to be judged.

Ah — now I get why we’re not quite on the same page. Let me see…

Unfortunately I don’t have a clear shot of the entire section of boilerplate, but next time you’re in the restaurant, check out this section of the menu right here:

The words in the first paragraph are pretty clear… after that there are references to the Monterey Bay Aquarium sustainability list, and I think a reference to artisan producers, though I don’t recall the specifics. The establishment really does make a big deal out of the sourcing, right on the menu, in general. I didn’t mean to imply that they don’t; in fact, I think I mentioned the prominent note on the menu. It’s just that you have no way of telling which specific items on the menu are consistent with that philosophy, except (as I said) for the wine and spirits.

So, I’m really not trying to go out of my way to be judgmental. I’m just trying to evaluate them by the standards that they set for themselves, as much as I can given the lack of information.

Andrew Hall

If you have gone and you like it, then great. I am the last to say otherwise.

If you are considering going, you can look at the evaluations of various parties and see if you sync. Problematic, I’ll agree.

If you are considering going, I would honestly recommend that you evaluate comparatively. Look at what 3&H does and compare to other restaurants. No vintages on wine list, static menu, no chef front-and-center, etc. Add into comparing what truly farm-oriented restaurants do (cite sources, etc). Does the model of 3&H fit in with where quality dining is in this country?

Answer those questions (and how important those answers are to you), you unlock the restaurant. Period.

For me, they talk a bunch of bullshit (not just the crunchy stuff) w/o delivering the quality of product.

A.

drew
    Participant

michaelcoyote
    Participant

drew wrote >>
    Review from Indie Columbus:
    http://indiecolumbus.com/site/post/sane_eating_at_third_hollywood

Man, Matt really kills them on his followup visit down in the comments.. I gotta say those cheddar biscuits do look good..

drew
    Participant

Went with a few CU’ers to Lola in Cleveland. As we perused the menu, our eyes locked on the Lola Burger (with bacon, onion, aged cheddar) in unison. Once the price registered ($9)… well, you can guess what everyone’s first thought was…

Mercurius
    Participant

What Third and Hollywood should be and is not:
    http://www.woodberrykitchen.com/

KSquared

Mercurius wrote >>

That place looks amazing! Have you eaten there?

Mercurius
    Participant

KSquared wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>

That place looks amazing! Have you eaten there?

Yeah, my brother and sister-in-law live in Baltimore and took me there. One of the best restaurants I’ve been to. Would really recommend it.

The development it’s in is one of the best I’ve ever seen too. Right in-between Hampden and Druid Hill Park with a light rail stop.
    http://www.clippermill.net/

drew wrote >>
    Went with a few CU’ers to Lola in Cleveland. As we perused the menu, our eyes locked on the Lola Burger (with bacon, onion, aged cheddar) in unison. Once the price registered ($9)… well, you can guess what everyone’s first thought was…

ate at Lolita a few months back. Happy Hour (4-6pm& 10-Mid) burger with bacon and fried egg on an English muffin. 5 Bucks.

futureman
    Participant

Finally went tonight and enjoyed it, then again I don’t even know what a vintage wine list is :) If you have a chance I suggest you give it a try. I thought it would be the worst dining experience ever after reading this thread. I honestly didn’t think the food was overpriced. I’ll be back, and I’ll tell other too.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

futureman wrote >>
    Finally went tonight and enjoyed it, then again I don’t even know what a vintage wine list is :) If you have a chance I suggest you give it a try. I thought it would be the worst dining experience ever after reading this thread. I honestly didn’t think the food was overpriced. I’ll be back, and I’ll tell other too.

Really, I never got the feeling from this thread that the food would be all that bad here. Just soulless and intentionally vague about their origins..

Glad you had a good time, but I’ll probably be skipping this as I’m saving my money for a carpool trip to Lolita in Cleveland to get a burger…

Charlie

After all this time, we finally made it over to Third and Hollywood. I’ll be honest, we almost didn’t go because of some of the reviews on here. But in the end, we decided to give it shot out of our tremendous respect for NorthStar. It was a Friday night and the place was packed. I was actually happy when the waiter told us there would be a 45 min wait. Maybe I was expecting the place would be dead after all the reviews. We got the cheddar biscuits, the chicken avocado salad, and the tuna salad. I thought the chicken avocado salad was amazing. It was like I was eating “Chicken Filet” in the salad. The biscuits were pretty good too. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the large wine glasses too. I don’t think the prices were that unreasonable. I think the quality was very high, yet in a different way from other high end restaurants. The layout of the kitchen, bar, and tables made the place feel very comfortable. The seasoning was a little heavy on the tuna salad, but other than that, we had no complaints. We will be back.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 308 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: