Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Roof top dining in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Roof top dining in Columbus?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

MichaelC wrote >>
    > R.J. Snapper’s…though it opened in the 1970s

Just ’cause I was a fan of the place…

R.J. Snapper’s actually replaced “Valerian” in 199X. It was a really interesting place, noted in part for their $5 monday wine tastings and the Kosher restaurant on the second floor. Not sure how long it was open, but it was open for quite some time. Snapper’s was open for years.

Valarian replaced 700 which was a jazz club. Good place, but that is far enough back that my memory is rather hazy.

to AGAIN veer back onto topic… what would be REALLY cool is a rooftop ROTATING restaurant on top of that pizzuti hotel!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Mea culpa.

1997, you’re absolutely right, Rockmaster. I misread an article online.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

DCist wrote >>
    And Walker Ive never seen you so sassy before! Nice work!

I save my sass for special occasions. ;)

MichaelC wrote >>
    Dining in the short north is thriving. To suggest that “a lot” of restaurants have opened and closed in recent years is a simple fabrication at worst, and misleading hyperbole at best.

Agreed. Total fabrication, and I don’t like to see that type of misinformation spread.

MichaelC wrote >> To veer directly back on topic, it would be wonderful if a restaurant opened up in the area that had rooftop dining. Perhaps that’d be something for the Pizzuti Co. to think about as it continues refining its boutique hotel design.

I agree that it could be an interesting addition to that project.

I’ve also heard that some sort of rooftop space is planned for the building at Buttles & High (above the new Two Fish restaurant) but no timeline on that, and not even concrete details on if it will be a rooftop restaurant, cafe, or some other sort of event space.

Nice views from up there though. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

DCist wrote >>
    And Walker Ive never seen you so sassy before! Nice work!

I save my sass for special occasions. ;)

MichaelC wrote >>
    Dining in the short north is thriving. To suggest that “a lot” of restaurants have opened and closed in recent years is a simple fabrication at worst, and misleading hyperbole at best.

Agreed. Total fabrication, and I don’t like to see that type of misinformation spread.

MichaelC wrote >> To veer directly back on topic, it would be wonderful if a restaurant opened up in the area that had rooftop dining. Perhaps that’d be something for the Pizzuti Co. to think about as it continues refining its boutique hotel design.

I agree that it could be an interesting addition to that project.

I’ve also heard that some sort of rooftop space is planned for the building at Buttles & High (above the new Two Fish restaurant) but no timeline on that, and not even concrete details on if it will be a rooftop restaurant, cafe, or some other sort of event space.

Nice views from up there though. ;)

cc

Finally, I see a Walker double post. It is not just me ;) As far as the topic, I think Novak’s is the place. There are a bunch of patio venues also, but your criteria may not align. Please give Novak’s a try and give us your feedback….

cyclist II
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

cyclist II wrote >>
    I spent about 1.3 million opening Captain Cream Cheese, and closed after six months.

Cyclist wins the thread!

Thank you. I have the best outlook on area eateries. I was right about Northstar years ago.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I thought it was time to resurrect this thread from 2011.

Our rooftop dining/drinking options are limited, it would seem, to a few stories up.

The Sheraton has a patio at about the 20th (?) level where they host private parties, and I wonder if there wouldn’t be an opportunity in the new Kaufman tower over the Commons to build in a bar/restaurant at a higher level.

I suppose that a high-rise bar or restaurant would make more sense in a hotel, where there’s a built-in clientele.

But anyway, I’d selfishly like to see one in Columbus. :)

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I really wish there was more rooftop action going on in Columbus. Living in Connecticut for 6 years, they had way more rooftop spots in Hartford, and it’s less than half the size of Columbus. Is there a reason for this?

Are we counting the rooftop deck going in when the Short North Donatos gets redeveloped or is that too low? To me it seems that Columbus hardly has any spots outside over 1 or 2 stories, let alone a 20 story building.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’ve also wondered about this. The only rooftop anything I can think of is Novak’s (great view of a parking lot) and Big Bar. Cleveland a freezing city on a windy lake (nothing against CLE just heading off the weather argument) has more options. Including one in the new Hilton they’re building.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Schmidt’s seeks rooftop beer garden, expansion

Schmidt’s Sausage Haus und Restaurant wants to give its patrons a spectacular view of the Columbus skyline.

The iconic German Village restaurant, 240 E. Kossuth St., plans to add a 1,618-square-foot rooftop patio and beer garden on the north side of the building.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/2015/05/04/schmidts-seeks-rooftop-beer-garden-expansion.html

AlanHarper
    Participant

Schmidt’s seeks rooftop beer garden, expansion

Schmidt’s Sausage Haus und Restaurant wants to give its patrons a spectacular view of the Columbus skyline.

The iconic German Village restaurant, 240 E. Kossuth St., plans to add a 1,618-square-foot rooftop patio and beer garden on the north side of the building.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/2015/05/04/schmidts-seeks-rooftop-beer-garden-expansion.html

How tall is Schmidt’s? I can’t imagine that it would have sufficient height to provide much of a view. When I think “rooftop dining”, tend to think like on top of a building downtown — maybe with dancing chimney sweeps singing “Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim cher-ee, chim cher-oo!” ;)

Roger846
    Participant

I’m probably going to get a lot of grief for this, but as much as I like Columbus, we do seem to think smaller (at least in terms of building heights) and more conventionally (at least in terms of interesting architecture) than other cities with a few nice exceptions (Pizzutti’s buildings look nice to me, the upcoming Vets Memorial, 250 S. High), so I’m not surprised we don’t have many rooftop dining areas than even smaller cities like the above mentioned Hartford. Given this, I admit Columbus is real good and ahead of the curve in a lot of stuff, and is a great city, but, IMHO, we’re behind on some of these development-type things like buildings and light rail. But, no city is perfect. Also, Ann Arbor, whose rooftop dining started this thread, is a real nice town even though it’s a little pretentious so I recommend visiting as a nice weekend trip. Flame away! :-)

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I don’t think the opinion that Columbus’ developers like to play it safe architecturally is going to draw much ire.

Slainte
    Participant

I think the views actually should be pretty nice on top of Schmidts. Given that there are no 3+ stories south of 70, you can catch great shots of downtown from a lot of places in German Village.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Some renderings of the Schmidt’s project can be found here, the 240 East Kossuth links – http://germanvillage.com/may-5-german-village-commission-application-agenda/

The buildings may not be tall, for some good winter views, but once the trees fill many of those disappear.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE