Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Roof top dining in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Roof top dining in Columbus?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Antonio

Are there any restaurants in the SN area or downtown that have roof top dining ?

This is quite common up in Ann Arbor.

Antonio

I guess not, when they are open in Ann Arbor, the roof tops are packed with diners enjoying the outdoors. And you don’t have to deal with people walking by on the sidewalk.

http://www.annarbor.com/entertainment/palio-del-sole-review-and-box/

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Your picture example reminds me Novaks.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Arena District has places.

2thDoc
    Participant

Check out this rooftop restaurant! The photo above reminds me of Novaks too.

billiejean

There’s the Irish bar on Park Street that has a roof top to dine/drink.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Rooftop Dining is *so* 2010.

Dinner in the sky is where it’s at in 2011:

http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2011/03/dinner-in-sky.html

(Thanks Anne!) ;)

Antonio

Walker wrote >>
    Rooftop Dining is *so* 2010.
    Dinner in the sky is where it’s at in 2011:
    http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2011/03/dinner-in-sky.html
    (Thanks Anne!) ;)

Might cause some people to hurl, and I’d hate to know what happened if you dropped a knife or fork

drew
    Participant

From what I’ve seen, roof top dining is usually a measure of last resort for restaurants – it’s a pain in the butt to serve on a different floor from where the kitchen is. It can certainly be fun to look out and down, but you’ll generally only see such a set up where it’s the only reasonable al fresco option.

Antonio

drew wrote >>
    From what I’ve seen, roof top dining is usually a measure of last resort for restaurants – it’s a pain in the butt to serve on a different floor from where the kitchen is. It can certainly be fun to look out and down, but you’ll generally only see such a set up where it’s the only reasonable al fresco option.

I’m sure it might be a pain. The one place I used top go to in Ann Arbor had a small dumb waiter device to lift food up and down and a seperate outside bar. They were always busy enough that it was worth it. They’ve been in businesss for decades which isn’t easy in the restaurant industry. It’s a pretty cool set up.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There’s a couple of bar/restaurants in the South Campus Gateway (McFadden’s and Ugly Tuna Saloona) that are completely on the second floors of the South Campus Gateway so they have patios that look down to below.

There’s also the upstairs patio of The Social on Park Street that looks down onto the outdoor area of Park Street Patio. It’s actually a very cool space, though I don’t think they serve food up there on that patio.

DCist

The Irish Bar mentioned above is Callahans on Park St.

When I live/worked in DC I worked at a place that not only has a rooftop bar/restaurant, it has a retractable glass roof so you can enjoy it 365 days a year. It was amazing (and amazingly expensive to build) and has a dumbwaiter also.

I wish we had something like that here that isnt A) on Park Street and B) a bar/club, but mainly a restaurant.

Antonio

DCist wrote >>
    When I live/worked in DC I worked at a place that not only has a rooftop bar/restaurant, it has a retractable glass roof so you can enjoy it 365 days a year. It was amazing (and amazingly expensive to build) and has a dumbwaiter also.
    I wish we had something like that here that isnt A) on Park Street and B) a bar/club, but mainly a restaurant.

Sounds like a pretty elaborate set up there.

You have a lot of restaurants go in and out of biz in the SN area, spending a million or more only to out of biz months later. You have to give people something they can not get elsewhere in order to survive. This is one of the factors.

The place I went to in Ann Arbor would derive nearly 50% of it’s biz from roof top operations, and the students for the most part were not in town when they were open.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Antonio wrote >>
    You have a lot of restaurants go in and out of biz in the SN area, spending a million or more only to out of biz months later.

There you go again with your arbitrary use of “a lot”.

rus
    rus
    Participant

DCist wrote >>

Doesn’t Bravo have a rooftop dining area?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE