Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

RiverSouth District - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development RiverSouth District – News & Updates

This topic contains 70 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by dalias dalias 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Previous News & Announcements:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/tag/riversouth

City hopes for private development

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Casto is studying renovation ideas for the seven-story former shoe factory, with a conversion to office space or luxury apartments most likely. He hopes to have a plan in place within a year and have the building renovated within three years.

Months ahead of the opening, the area was dealt a slight setback when longtime neighborhood anchor Columbia Gas said it would move its headquarters and 650 employees to the Arena District in late 2014. The company, a major donor to the Scioto Mile project, has pledged to help find a new tenant for the building, which it leases from an investment group.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/weekender/stories/2011/07/07/city-hopes-for-private-development.html?sid=101

Pablo
    Participant

Casto has studied that building at Front & Main for years. The firm I was with in the mid 1990’s had Casto as a client and looked at converting it to condos. Hopefully the time is right and they’ll do something with it now.

Pablo said:
    Casto has studied that building at Front & Main for years. The firm I was with in the mid 1990’s had Casto as a client and looked at converting it to condos. Hopefully the time is right and they’ll do something with it now.

Isn’t that the truth…its like trains or the 70/71 split, spend all of that money “studying” something that will never happen.

Pablo
    Participant

RoundTowner said:
    Isn’t that the truth…its like trains or the 70/71 split, spend all of that money “studying” something that will never happen.

To be fair, I don’t think it would have worked as condos (or apartments) back in the 90s. It might work now… About the same time Casto looked into the parking lot next to the City Center garage between Rich & Main – that seemed more viable since the mall was still in good shape. Maybe the parks (Cols. Commons & the Mile) along with the street scape improvements, courthouse, the Annex apts etc. will kick these other projects in gear.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Are you talking about that big windowless storage building at the NW corner of Front & Main?

futureman
    Participant

Walker said:
    Are you talking about that big windowless storage building at the NW corner of Front & Main?

It sounds like it, it’s the only 7 story building at front and main.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=columbus,+oh&hl=en&ll=39.955996,-82.999861&spn=0.001984,0.00327&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=65.685051,107.138672&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.956034,-83.000374&panoid=9iPpURx8jwUVc3wEMGSTQA&cbp=12,324.03,,0,-10.48

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’d think now would be a good time to revamp it. Not sure how costly it would be to convert to condos/apartments, but it’s surrounded on all four sides by new development. Prime location!

Pablo
    Participant

Walker said:
    Yeah, I’d think now would be a good time to revamp it. Not sure how costly it would be to convert to condos/apartments, but it’s surrounded on all four sides by new development. Prime location!

That’s the building. I’ve never been inside but it looks like it could have an industrial loft aesthetic.

News
    Participant

Bicentennial Plaza set for auction although parking issue unsettled
    Premium content from Business First – by Brian R. Ball
    Date: Friday, August 12, 2011

The two-year-long saga of Bicentennial Plaza in Columbus could end soon with the scheduled sale of the downtown office building at a sheriff’s auction. The uncertain status of some parking at the building could, however, present added risk for any buyer.

The 113,309-square-foot building at 250 Civic Center Drive is scheduled for a Sept. 2 auction, according to the Franklin County Common Pleas Court. The six-story property fell into foreclosure in August 2009, when lender GLIC Real Estate Holding LLC took Bicentennial Plaza Ltd. to court over failure to pay the $8.6 million balance on a loan due three months earlier. Bicentennial Plaza Ltd. was a partnership affiliated with Arshot Investment Corp. in Columbus.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/08/12/bicentennial-plaza-set-for-auction.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some new RiverSouth photos here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-august-2011

Love how many streets are being bricked. Also looks like Main is going completely two-way west of High. Or at least the stoplights are being installed that way.

News
    Participant

Three More Downtown Streets Converted to Two-Way Traffic
    By: Walker

One more step in the redevelopment of the Riversouth neighborhood is completed as three sections of roadway are opened today to two-way traffic. They include South Front Street, between West Town and West Mound streets, West Main Street, between South High and South 2nd streets and West Rich Street, between South High and South 2nd streets.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/three-more-downtown-streets-converted-to-two-way-traffic

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Pretty cool, I was out there today and it really helps it feel more “neighborhoody” having slower two way traffic

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I hope to see more investment and taller (not skyscrapers) buildings being built. I think we’ve reached a point to where Downtown has officially become vibrant.

cbus11

I think downtown has come a long way since the early 2000’s but I would not call it ‘vibrant’. Setting the bar low is a dangerous thing.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I have seen a HUGE transformation in downtown. I remember 8 years ago, the majority of downtown was pretty empty. Now when I go down I see a ton of people. It’s awesome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us this Friday, August 24th to experience everything that goes into making the perfect cup of coffee!

CLICK HER FOR TICKETS & INFO