Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Riverside Hospital Maternity Ward Subject of New TV Show

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Riverside Hospital Maternity Ward Subject of New TV Show

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Cardiff

“One Born Every Minute” starts tonight at 10pm, on Lifetime

“In eight hour-long episodes, the hospital docu-series “One Born Every Minute” takes an in-depth look at life inside the maternity ward at Riverside Methodist Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, as expectant mothers enter their final stage of pregnancy. From the delivery room, to the operating room, to the front desk, to the nurses’ station, 40 cameras roll 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to capture the high drama, humor and overwhelming emotion of childbirth as new lives begin and others change forever.”

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/one-born-every-minute

Anyone else think they picked a terrible name for this series? Suckers.
    :p

Cardiff

It worked on me, I watched! Though I probably won’t watch it again. I didn’t like that the Clintonville couple with a natural birth plan, a doula and a midwife were treated like crazy people for wanting to labor without medication. They edited them to look very kooky, which I thought was unfortunate.

tourist19
    Participant

Jezebel had an article about that the other day. Evidently the British program this is based off of is much more documentary style. Of course Lifetime had to go mess it up (as they do everything good, cough cough, Project Runway).

That really is too bad. It would have been a great opportunity to show the many options couples have– in a positive light.

Underdawg
    Participant

Cardiff wrote >>
    It worked on me, I watched! Though I probably won’t watch it again. I didn’t like that the Clintonville couple with a natural birth plan, a doula and a midwife were treated like crazy people for wanting to labor without medication. They edited them to look very kooky, which I thought was unfortunate.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think they ever said that that couple was from Clintonville. Not that I didn’t assume the same thing. I could see how they may have enhanced the couple’s chanting to make it seem louder, and also the footage of the staff’s reaction to the chanting could have been from anytime.

asil
    Participant

Awww! I didn’t see the episode but the website made me happy. There were a few familiar faces from my delivery. The staff there is just awesome, and Dr. Gaiser is the BOMB.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

asil wrote >>
    …and Dr. Gaiser is the BOMB.

Oh, cool! Was she on the show? She delivered both of our kids. ;)

anillo
    Participant

thefightinglibrarian wrote >>

Better than “Hot in Columbus”

JoeMitchell

thefightinglibrarian wrote >>

my lovely wife works on that floor, I teased her with that line after every shift

stinkybomb
    Participant

We had our son almost 4 months ago at Riverside and the cameras were just starting to be installed. I personally wouldn’t want my husband to film that, let alone a TV crew.
    Side note: we were told with our daughter’s birth (almost 3yrs ago, also at Riverside) that recording was not allowed at most hospitals. No further explanation was given, we assumed it had something to due with potential malpractice suits.

Cardiff

Stinkybomb – You are right – it’s about the lawsuits – there was an interesting article about the banning of cameras in delivery rooms this week in The New York Times:

Cameras, and Rules Against Them, Stir Passions in Delivery Rooms
    By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE
    CASCADE, Md. — When Laurie Shifler was expecting her eighth child, she was so upset about a local hospital’s new policy restricting photographs of births that she started an online petition. Hundreds of
    people, near and far, signed it, many expressing outrage that a hospital would prevent parents from recording such a momentous occasion, one that could never be recaptured.

Full Story here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/us/03birth.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: