Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Riverside Hospital Area Redevelopment Concepts

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Riverside Hospital Area Redevelopment Concepts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The Connect Columbus Initiative is gathering ideas and presenting new concepts for transportation and transit infrastructure, as well as ideas on more walkable, bikeable and transit-centric development:

https://columbus.gov/connectcolumbus/

One of the focus areas that the initiative has presented concepts for is the Riverside Hospital area along Olentangy River Road at the intersection of North Broadway. Currently, that area is home to a tangle of 315 on/off ramps and suburban-style retail and restaurant businesses.

The proposal presents what this area could look like with an untangling and reconfiguration of the on/off-ramps for 315 and a realignment of where they feed traffic to and from both North Broadway and Olentangy. This allows more land to be developed in a traditional walkable street grid, and provides walking access to Riverside Hospital. The proposal also connects to the existing bike trail network along the Olentangy River creates additional greenspace for the area.

elwoodblues614
    Participant

I must be blind, but I’m not finding these in that link anywhere. Though all of these plans looking promising and I’m glad to see nothing’s off the table as far as redevelopment.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I must be blind, but I’m not finding these in that link anywhere.

Sorry, it’s the link on the Connect Columbus page from Charrette Two.

Download shortcut (32MB PDF): https://columbus.gov/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=80366

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Love the plan as proposed; that area has a ton of potential but currently makes poor use of the space that’s there.

Besides modification of SR 315, another obstacle is finding a place for Riverside employees to park. They currently use the lots around Kohl’s, so I would guess that a large parking garage will need to be built.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Besides modification of SR 315, another obstacle is finding a place for Riverside employees to park. They currently use the lots around Kohl’s, so I would guess that a large parking garage will need to be built.

The hospital already has two or three attached garages and ample surface parking lot room to the NW of the hospital (in the back) to add more if they need to.

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Analogue Kid wrote:</div>

The hospital already has two or three attached garages and ample surface parking lot room to the NW of the hospital (in the back) to add more if they need to.

That’s the problem Walker there is minimal flat lots/ space to park because of the lack of space. This is why you see a ton of small commuter buses like an at airport to take employees to and from the hospital. It is a HUGE problem in this area and only going to get worse.

Geoff
    Participant

This plan sees the demolition of the Canterbury Tower? It’s 50 years old (1965) but it can’t be so obsolete that a village of low rise walk-ups of a better option. I would rather see it incorporated into the plan, even if it needs a good rehab. At 15 stories, it’s a significant building.

Pablo
    Participant

This is the best scheme yet. I like the traffic calming on Broadway by eliminating the ramp from 315 northbound. Currently it’s easy to hit eastbound Broadway at 55 MPH – I’ve been guilty of that – it’s almost accidental. I like the addition of a bike bridge. And I too would like to see the retention of the Canterbury Tower.

As far as Riverside employee parking – Ohio Health could build a huge garage on the surface parking along the railroad west of the hospital.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

This plan sees the demolition of the Canterbury Tower? It’s 50 years old (1965) but it can’t be so obsolete that a village of low rise walk-ups of a better option. I would rather see it incorporated into the plan, even if it needs a good rehab. At 15 stories, it’s a significant building.

Agreed. It may be an obsolete Le Corbusier setup right now but it could work with different surroundings.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Consider when Canturbury was built and sold, 315 was not a freeway wrapping around it. It was just Olentangy River Road.

JB05
    Participant

I like the idea of greater bike/ped linkages along the riverfront. The Olentangy Trail and Olentangy River are some of our greatest assets, it seems silly to hide them behind some generic parking lots

News
    Participant

Kohl’s site near Ohio State bought for eventual redevelopment
    Jul 31, 2015, 3:21pm EDT
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

A local developer has acquired the Kohl’s department store on Olentangy River Road near the Ohio State University campus with plans to eventually redevelop the site.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/07/31/kohl-s-site-near-ohio-state-bought-for-eventual.html

DouginCMH
    Participant

I like the idea of greater bike/ped linkages along the riverfront. The Olentangy Trail and Olentangy River are some of our greatest assets, it seems silly to hide them behind some generic parking lots

As someone who lives north of North Broadway in Clintonville, I would LOVE to have that trail connector. The detour from Northmoor Park, crossing WNB at Milton and weaving through various residential streets until you reconnect at Como is a pain top both bikers and drivers. Staying on the trail would be a dream come true.

Personally, I also love the 315-N off-ramp onto WNB (just because it works for me). But I’d gladly swap it for the trail connector. Though I wouldn’t mind noise barrier walls to separate 315 from the west side of the river trail.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Kohl’s site near Ohio State bought for eventual redevelopment<br>
    Jul 31, 2015, 3:21pm EDT<br>
    Brian R. Ball<br>

A local developer has acquired the Kohl’s department store on Olentangy River Road near the Ohio State University campus with plans to eventually redevelop the site.<br>
    <br>
    READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/07/31/kohl-s-site-near-ohio-state-bought-for-eventual.html

Wow that could be big. I just hope it’s something mixed use and is respectful to the river. A connector to the Olentangy Trail would be welcome too.

columbusmike
    Participant

Kohl’s site near Ohio State bought for eventual redevelopment<br>
    Jul 31, 2015, 3:21pm EDT<br>
    Brian R. Ball<br>

A local developer has acquired the Kohl’s department store on Olentangy River Road near the Ohio State University campus with plans to eventually redevelop the site.<br>
    <br>

Talk about ironic timing…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO