Our City Online

Messageboard - Music

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

RIP: Michael Swaggerty

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Music RIP: Michael Swaggerty

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I just heard from a friend that Michael Swaggerty passed away yesterday. Some on CU may know him as the DJ host of “All Mixed Up” a late night Saturday dance music show on WCBE 90.5. There’s some talk about some local DJs doing a special memorial “All Mixed Up” show in his honor. More details coming soon.

ricospaz
    Participant

I think he used to DJ at Hot Peppers, my old club from the 90s. That’s too bad.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

Started listening to all mixed up when I was like 12 or something. That’s terrible news.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I used to buy his mixtapes at World Record when I was a kid. Super sad to hear the news.

djjondy

Hey all, if you could take a moment to remember Swag by visiting http://www.caringbridge.org and entering “mikeswaggerty” (all one word) in the “Visit a Site” box. You can log in using your FaceBook account. His family reads that and his FaceBook page, http://www.facebook.com/AllMixedUp and would love to hear all the great stories about him.

There’s a spot on CaringBridge to make a donation as well.

Thanks to all! Mike will be missed.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

So sad to hear.

aaminian
    Participant

Shit that sucks

Pablo
    Participant

I’m sorry to hear this.

Neil Jaye

RIP, Mike.

ksnare1

Sad news indeed. Mike was a local living legend DJ. He was the king of the scene when I was dabbling in DJ’ing in the late80’s and early 90’s. He made a career of playing deep house and his weekly radio show was always a joy. RIP Michael Swaggerty.

scottlitch
    Participant

Michael will always make me think of a smiling face and a supportive word. His All Mixed Up program on 90.5 has to be one of the longest running dance music radio shows in the country if not the world. He was one of my mentors and it was a pleasure to know and work with him on events over the years. He will be missed. R.I.P.

Michael Bongiorno
    Participant

Terrible news.

HopperFan

Aw, no. I remember him from Hot Peppers, too, and many other events around Columbus. Great guy – he’ll truly be missed.

Before he was in Columbus, Mike (as his family calls him) played with a band during high school called The Fabulous Junkmen. He was a dj for WKGN a radio station in his hometown of Knoxville, TN. He also was a big name in Knoxville, TN during the disco era as a dj for local clubs such as Flanigan’s & Uncle Sams. He then went on to play and be the lead singer with a band called Courgeous Dong. They traveled the northeast & played in numerous clubs. When he was in grade school he played the accordian & won many talent shows at his local grade school. The accordian started his love for music. There was a naugahyde (sp) recliner in his parent’s home that had holes in the armrest from where he used to sit & “drum” his fingers. But before & during all of that, he was my big brother. He was 3 years older than me & he tormented me as only a big brother can do. We were very different. He was the rebellious one & I was always the one that stood back & observed as he did things “his way”. We have a sister, Tina, who is 12 years younger than me & 15 years younger than Mike. She was 6 when he left home so she didn’t have the honor of receiving his brotherly affections like I did. She also went on to make her life in music. As a voice major & now as a Baptist Minister of Music. I also sing & Tina & I have sang together many times. It was always a dream of mine that the 3 of us would do something together but it just never worked out. You see, the 3 of us were very different but we were raised to love without boundaries & in that way we are very much alike. I could relate many stories about our years growing up but there is neither the time nor the space to do so. During the last month we learned so much about our brother that we didn’t know. Sure, we knew about the radio show & dj’ing in clubs but until he got sick & we came to Columbus, we didn’t know just how much he had impacted the music scene all over the country & we had no idea of all the friends he had. I hate that we learned all of this the way we did, but I will forever cherish the memories that were shared with myself, my husband, my sister & my Mother. So you see, before he was any of these things he was my “big brother”. We became very close as we became adults & we shared many of each others secrets. In some ways I think I was closer to him than anyone else in our family. I will miss my brother until the day that we are reunited again. My heart breaks that he is gone but it rejoices to know that he left behind such a legacy. Thank-you to everyone that has provided us with yet another story in his life. This time last week we were with him at his side & with tears in my eyes I said “go in peace big brother. I will always love & cherish you”
    Pat Swaggerty Cabage

rantczak

MESSAGE FROM 90.5 FM WCBE GENERAL MANAGER
    Most of you have probably heard by now, but I’m saddened to announce that our longest-running D.J. and radio brother Mike Swaggerty passed away peacefully on Wednesday, February 22nd after a brief struggle with an accute illness. RIP, Swag. We hope you’re updating those heavenly harps with some serious beats. We’ll miss you dearly…

Memorial plans continue apace for Mike Swaggerty. Jon Peterson will have a couple of tribute sets during Shakin’ It tomorrow night from 8-10pm. Then, next Saturday, DJ James Brown will dedicate the opening hour of All Mixed Up to Mike, utilizing an autobiography recording Mike made, with house music weaving in and out of it; he’ll round out the hour with club mix versions of the fan-posted songs collected from Facebook. There may be more; a group of Columbus club deejays held a meeting last night to discuss what the club community can do. I’ll share their decision(s) as they’re available.

The family of Michael Swaggerty will receive friends from 5:00-7:00 pm at Ball Camp Baptist Church, 2412 Ball Camp Byington Road, Knoxville, TN on Sunday, February 26, 2011. At 7:00 pm, they will have a Celebration of Life Service for Mike at the church.

Listeners can also post messages and memories on the All Mixed Up[/url] and WCBE Facebook pages or at Caringbridge.org.

In lieu of flowers, please make contributions to a Paypal Account set up to take care of his final expenses. You can simply go to http://www.paypal.com. Click the link to send money. The email address for the PayPal account is [email protected]. Family will be overseeing the account and I assure listeners that every penny will be spent solely for Mike’s final expenses.

Thank you for your caring messages and support during this difficult time for both the Swaggerty and WCBE families.
    ~Dan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Music’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: