Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

RIP: Aminah Robinson

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists RIP: Aminah Robinson

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Really sad to hear that Columbus artist Aminah Robinson passed away on Friday at the age of 75. She was likely the most well known living local artist on a national/global stage, and an important representative of nearly a century of Black culture in our city. It was impressive to see her work recognized as widely as it was during her lifetime, and I imagine that her work will become even more important for future generations.

Here’s an excerpt from a recent conversation between her and Denny Griffith at the Columbus Metro Club:

JMan
    Participant

Sad news. She was such a wonderful, creative and fantastic artist (don’t forget the buttons)! I remember seeing her mural at the main library, and her work at an exhibit in the museum. Years ago, at a used bookstore, I happened on a book she had illustrated titled “Elijah’s Angel.” It was the true story of a little Jewish boy who often visited woodcarver and barber Elijah Pierce (whose barber shop was just a block from the museum). One Christmastime, he spotted an angel Elijah had been carving, and so Elijah gave it to him as a gift — but being Jewish he was afraid his parents would disapprove, though they didn’t, and the entire family came by Elijah’s barbershop on Christmas Eve. It was a Children’s book with a very moving story and artwork. You just couldn’t keep a dry eye by the end.
    Well, I know that Aminah is now creating her art among god’s angels.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/05/23/aminah-robinson-obit.html

All her life, artist Aminah Robinson observed.

As a young girl, she watched the people who lived in her public-housing project on the Near East Side, drawing and painting them on wood her father gave her. She traveled through Africa, absorbing the continent’s history and adopting an African name. In Israel once, she sat on a stool in the old part of Jerusalem, quietly studying passers-by. She told friends she was trying to take in the city’s atmosphere.

“I never had any doubt in my mind about being an artist,” Robinson said once.

Robinson, whose work focused largely on the Poindexter Village neighborhood of Columbus, on her family and on her African-American heritage, died on Friday at Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center. She was 75.

martjhar
    Participant

After meeting Ms Aminah, I listened to her stories about life in her part of Columbus. Her artwork and generous stories, allowed me to step in to her world and to understand what her life was like. Her descriptions were perfectly blended with emotion and that is what a true artist does.
    Godspeed Ms. Aminah
    Thank you for your contribution
    Marty H.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE