Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rigsby’s - Closed

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Rigsby’s – Closed

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

groundrules
    Participant

The 90′s aren’t timeless and classic.

fuckin’ 90’s didn’t charge me a 89 bucks for shitty surf and turf either. 1950s vibe, 2050s prices. place has ambiance and voluminous plates, but it’s not nearly as tasty as the prices would suggest.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Should have gotten the ribs, bro. Best in the city.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

For $6 out the door, the 30 year old acoustic ceiling tile grid can droop to the floor for all I care (as long as the food is good). But for $90+ with drinks, everything should be on point.

Whether you can articulate it or not, every space makes you feel a certain way. For Rigsby’s regulars, it felt like home. For newcomers, it felt like home to Rigsby’s regulars. I think that was no small part of the problem, and it’s a classic catch-22 for long running restaurants.

Either way, Kent is a brilliant chef, and I look forward to what comes next.

I think K2U would kill it in a comeback.

Nancy H
    Participant

I think K2U would kill it in a comeback.

+1

K2U was way ahead of today’s trends in food. I miss their pork chops!

Of course, I always though they held K2U back a bit, so it wouldn’t compete with the flagship restaurant. Over the years, various guys who were the executive chef would comment about what they could and could not put on the menu.

A dumpster showed up behind Rigsby’s this afternoon. Not sure what they are tearing out/throwing out, but obviously quite a bit of stuff.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I have to say that, while I am sad to see a Short North pioneer hang it up, I have never had a memorable experience at Rigsby’s. I suppose I could say that for a lot of places, but for the prices I paid dining there multiple times, I’d expect that I’d at least remember one or two dishes I had there. (excluding $1 oyster Mondays…I enjoyed those) But I also echo a little of what was said before…if you weren’t a regular, it wasn’t hard to feel like this was not a place for you. I had service there on a number of occasions that were not only not impressive, but made me feel like I was an inconvenience being there. But whatever. Not every place is for everyone. I’d definitely be into checking out whatever the chef does next. Hopefully he’ll come back with something fresh. And hopefully something tragic doesn’t end up in that spot.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

When they didn’t make the Yelp 100 it was all over…

goldenidea
    Participant

K2U was way ahead of today’s trends in food. I miss their pork chops!

I agree. I’m all for another K2U-like concept; I loved that place. But name it K3U

News
    Participant

Rigsby Heads to New Albany
    November 14, 2015 2:36 pm – Walker Evans

Last Sunday, we broke the unfortunate news that after 29 years in business, Rigsby’s Kitchen had closed its doors in the Short North. While long time fans of the restaurant lamented the closure, Chef and Owner Kent Rigsby hinted that he would soon be announcing his next move when he posted on Facebook that “there will soon be a new curtain rising on my next act.”

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/chef-kent-rigsby-new-albany-country-club

RBloodworth
    Participant

Well, that’s…not what anyone had in mind- and more than a bit disheartening. Obviously, it appears as though the closing was related to financial issues.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I’m thinking of a feeling of relief. Of finally feeling free, not having to worry about the cash flow, the health insurance, the landlords new rent demands or failure to fix things. Free at last. A very sincere congratulations. The self abuse has ended! Happy trails and best of luck.

RandomVisitor
    Participant

The most frequent and least enjoyed comment to a restaurant owner begins with “You know what you should do…”

Kent Rigsby probably is confident that he knows what he should do.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The most frequent and least enjoyed comment to any business owner begins with “You know what you should do…”

FTFY. ;)

Nancy H
    Participant

I happened to talk to Tasi (Kent’s wife) yesterday. Cbussmallbiz’s comment pretty much nailed it. That and the 12 hour days 6 days a week.

Matthew
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>RandomVisitor wrote:</div>
    The most frequent and least enjoyed comment to any business owner begins with “You know what you should do…”

FTFY. ;)

Statement & edit of the decade.

drew
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>RandomVisitor wrote:</div>

FTFY. ;)

This is very tangential, I know, but I don’t really tend to fall in line with that point of view. Worst that can happen is that you say, ‘interesting idea’ and never think of it again. But when a paying customer goes to the effort of telling you what you could do to get them to pay you more, I don’t think it ever hurts to listen.

To the earlier point, customer input does seem to strike a particular sort of terror in restaurateurs – they tend to either get disproportionately indignant about it, or take one person’s opinion waaaay too seriously.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION