Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rigsby’s - Closed

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Rigsby’s – Closed

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Rigsby’s and the Refectory were the standard bearers for fine dining in Columbus for years and years.

Well before Crave was a glimmer in John Wolfe’s eye, the two were the top restaurants in town according to the Dispatch’s annual reviews, and in Columbus Monthly’s ratings, as well.

And as Crave reports now (before it also turns out the lights):

But struggles in the Rigsby’s kitchen this year were not a secret. Head chef Forbes Rigsby left his post in March after nearly a decade at the restaurant. New executive chef Silas Caeton, who came to the restaurant in late April, vacated the position in August, and several members of the kitchen team soon followed. In October, Kent confirmed he was leading the kitchen, pulling 12 hour days. Things unraveled quickly, Rigsby says, leaving him with no other choice but to shutter the storied restaurant.

Rigsby confirmed today that he has a new career path up ahead, but was not ready to divulge the details. He did assure that the other restaurants in his group, Tasi Cafe and Zoe Cafe, are both operating smoothly and doing well.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

nowhere near the same league as Rigsby’s. by just general measurement standards, it’s not even that good.

Of course, opinions will vary.

But that’s well beside the much larger point that I was making.

Wow. Huge loss to Short North and city. Very sorry. The restaurant business is one of the toughest.

Nancy H
    Participant

Not sure how much faith I put in that report on Crave, especially with the absence of actual quotes.

I have known Kent since before he opened Rigsby’s and I worked for the Wood Companies at the time Sandy Wood was renovating that building and landed Kent as a tenant. Have basically known Forbes his entire life. Forbes DID NOT leave the restaurant because of problems/issues with his father. He and his fiancee had been talking about getting out of Columbus and exploring some other culinary opportunities for months before he left Rigsby’s restaurant.

Restaurant staffers getting pissed and walking out is the norm, be it head chef, waiter or dishwasher. Having the executive chef get pissed and firing you on the spot is fairly common too. It is heated in more ways than one in most kitchens. Kent was well know, back when he was at Lindey’s, for throwing entire plates full of food at line cooks who did not plate things properly.

Although I have know Kent a long time, I don’t know why the restaurant closed. If he walked into the room right now, I wouldn’t ask him. Closing a business you sunk your heart and soul into is never easy. Be it 29 days or 29 years. The reasons for closing are private to Kent and Tasi. If they want the general public to know, then they will tell us.

combs1ng
    combs1ng
    Participant

I wonder how many of the new hot flames burning now will be a 3 decade success. Most foodies go broke. I think rigbys is the end of the short north I knew…. We moved only a few years ago but it’s gone. Not a bad thing really just this world went and got in a big damn hurry. (Line stolen)

“world went and got in a big damn hurry”

– SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION!!!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The place was soooooo 90’s. Admit it, you felt the same way walking in the dining room.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

The place was soooooo 90′s. Admit it, you felt the same way walking in the dining room.

I went maybe 3 months ago and this is exactly how it felt. The food was good, but everything else just seemed really dated.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

You two must really hate The Top…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The 90’s aren’t timeless and classic.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The 90′s aren’t timeless and classic.

They are for some of us Snarf :)

drew
    Participant

The place was soooooo 90′s. Admit it, you felt the same way walking in the dining room.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Snarf wrote:</div>
    The 90′s aren’t timeless and classic.

They are for some of us Snarf :)

I’m trying to decide whether or not it’s allowable to agree with both of you.

Nancy H
    Participant

I find it really bizarre that people on this forum will go on and on about the food in some hole in the wall place (one recently didn’t even have menus in English) and never moan about the decor. On the other hand, they gripe about the furnishings and decorations in other places.

I go out to eat for the FOOD. I don’t care if their chairs match, as long as they are reasonably comfortable. I want good food, a clean kitchen, prices comparable to the quality of the food and friendly informative staff – in that order. I really don’t care what the place “looks like.”

Some of you guys sound like you are looking for decorator ideas instead of dinner.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

It’s called a dining experience for a reason, Nancy. Nothing really bizarre about it.

drew
    Participant

For $6 out the door, the 30 year old acoustic ceiling tile grid can droop to the floor for all I care (as long as the food is good). But for $90+ with drinks, everything should be on point.

Whether you can articulate it or not, every space makes you feel a certain way. For Rigsby’s regulars, it felt like home. For newcomers, it felt like home to Rigsby’s regulars. I think that was no small part of the problem, and it’s a classic catch-22 for long running restaurants.

Either way, Kent is a brilliant chef, and I look forward to what comes next.

groundrules
    Participant

double post *nuke*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION