Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rigsby’s - Closed

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Rigsby’s – Closed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Rigsby’s Kitchen Closes After 29 Years in Business
    November 8, 2015 10:13 am – Walker Evans

An iconic Columbus restaurant is no more. Rigsby’s Kitchen, located at 698 North High Street in the Short North, closed its doors for good last night. Columbus Underground has been told by guests last night that they were informed by owner Kent Rigsby that the restaurant would be closing effective immediately.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/rigsbys-closing

ohbr
    Participant

Will be interesting to see how this evolved and what comes next. maybe he’ll move on to the next up and coming neighborhood. It’s sad to see Rigsby’s go. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Here’s hoping Chef Rigsby doesn’t hang it up just yet.

heresthecasey
    Participant

He has a statement posted on the restaurant’s facebook page,

The curtain came down for the final time last night, (Nov. 8th), on the long run that was Rigsby’s kitchen. I’m saddened by this reality and at the same time proud and grateful for the amazing memories and and experiences that come with 29 years of running one of Columbus’ top restaurants. Thank you to the wonderful customers who have graced our doors over the years. I have met so many incredible people and developed many life-long friendships. And thank you to so many talented and hardworking people who I have been so fortunate to work with side by side over these many years.

And GRAZIE MILLE, (there is just more poetry in the Italian language), but I really feel it, 1000 thanks to all you caring and lovely people that have posted here. Rest assured, I have so much to be thankful for, especially the health of my family and their individual greatness.

I look forward with energy and excitement to my next professional challenge. There will soon be a new curtain rising on my next act. I’ll keep you posted!

https://www.facebook.com/RigsbysKitchen

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Here’s hoping Chef Rigsby doesn’t hang it up just yet.

Sounds like he has some future plans, which is great news. :)

derm
    derm
    Participant

Alana said fine dining is dead, it is why she literally is counting the days to her lease being over.

I will miss me some Capellini Natasha.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Alana said fine dining is dead, it is why she literally is counting the days to her lease being over.

I don’t know if it’s dead entirely… I’d say it’s been more reinvented due to the blurring lines between casual environments and high quality foods. If you think about some of the great newer additions to the culinary scene in recent years, they probably aren’t considered “fine dining” by traditional definitions due to their casual ambiance and lack of dress codes, but can still go toe-to-toe with some of the best in town.

Looking back at our “Best New” lists of the past three years and I’d include the following new restaurants to fit that description: Angry Bear, The Market IV, Wolf’s Ridge, The Sycamore, The Table, TILL, etc.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/best-new-restaurant-of-2014-bareburger-bo2014
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/best-new-restaurant-of-2013-the-pearl-bo2013
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/best-new-restaurant-of-2012-till-dynamic-fare

I’m going to guess that Salt & Pine, The Crest on Parsons will be joining this list in 2015 as well.

Overall, it’s bad news for the more traditional Fine Dining establishments, as it makes everything more competitive, but it’s good news for Columbus diners who are looking for a very wide range of high quality options.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I wonder how many of the new hot flames burning now will be a 3 decade success. Most foodies go broke. I think rigbys is the end of the short north I knew…. We moved only a few years ago but it’s gone. Not a bad thing really just this world went and got in a big damn hurry. (Line stolen)

Nancy H
    Participant

I’d say it’s been more reinvented due to the blurring lines between casual environments and high quality foods.

Rigsby’s was never about dress code. I felt just as comfortable in there dressed in jeans and a teeshirt as I did “dressed up.” The number of places around town that can touch their quality are few and far between.

To me, the real blurring is many of today’s diners really can’t tell the difference between made from scratch and boxed or frozen ingredients. And I have mostly my own baby boomer generation to blame. Many boomers did not cook. So, they didn’t expose their children to really good quality food. Thus, their children can’t tell the difference between hand crafted pasta and the dried stuff from a box… and an endless list of other things.

Kent and Tasi had a long and much loved run with Rigsby’s. They still have Eleni-Christina Bakery, Tasi Cafe and Zoe Cafe, so still some great food options from a talented chef. And, as other have hinted, Kent might surprise us with something totally new.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Rigsby’s was never about dress code. I felt just as comfortable in there dressed in jeans and a teeshirt as I did “dressed up.” The number of places around town that can touch their quality are few and far between.

On paper, Rigsby’s maybe had a more relaxed dress code, but I don’t know everyone felt that way. I think I’d feel dressed down going there for dinner in jeans and a tshirt. But I don’t think I’d feel that way at Wolf’s Ridge or Harvest, where I’d expect the same same level of high quality in the food.

To me, the real blurring is many of today’s diners really can’t tell the difference between made from scratch and boxed or frozen ingredients. And I have mostly my own baby boomer generation to blame. Many boomers did not cook. So, they didn’t expose their children to really good quality food. Thus, their children can’t tell the difference between hand crafted pasta and the dried stuff from a box… and an endless list of other things.

Having grown up in a boomer’s household where convenience trumped scratch cooking, I agree that many young GenXers and Millennials may not have experienced a palate-expanding world of cuisine in the home kitchen. That being said, once you get a taste of higher quality food (which anyone post college is accustomed to do), it’s pretty easy to figure out what’s made from scratch and what’s not.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Bummer for the waiters. That was a pretty good paying gig I would guess.

Tasi is still packed every morning which is a good thing.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

The shift to two-income households probably had something to do with the decline of home cooking from scratch.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Ooh, really sorry to hear this. I hadn’t been there in years but it had been on my mind recently, was just waiting for a special occasion to go back. Guess I waited too long…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The shift to two-income households probably had something to do with the decline of home cooking from scratch.

I think the decline in scratch cooking predates the shift to two-income households.

Food marketing from the 1950s-1990s was all about convenience and time savings (a lot of which was targeted at the “housewife” demographic), which started out with improvements to appliances to cut cooking time in half, and devolved into out-of-the-box freezer meals that you can nuke for your kids in seconds.

My mom was largely a stay-at-home mom in the 80 and 90s when I grew up, and the convenience foods reigned supreme as the trend of the day.

While farm-to-table, sustainably-sourced foods, fair-trade and organic-everything can all be shrugged off under the limitless umbrella of hipsterdom, it’s actually a good thing that the trends are pointing people toward returning back to actually preparing healthier meals with high quality ingredients.

groundrules
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>derm wrote:</div>

The Crest on Parsons will be joining this list in 2015 as well.

nowhere near the same league as Rigsby’s. by just general measurement standards, it’s not even that good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: