Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Right to Work in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Right to Work in Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author

cheap

lifeontwowheels said:
    I’m speaking to the benefits derived from union membership. I’m at UPS picking up hours and we’re teamsters. Major benefits under the union contract include biannual pay increases, job protections and free healthcare. What I’m suggesting is a company utilizing merit based pay based pay raise for a RTW employee. Just as an example. Why should someone gain benefit if they aren’t members?

those kids working at ups on trabue rd make shit for money

some union

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

cheap said:
    those kids working at ups on trabue rd make shit for money

some union

$12-15/hr within 5 years; free health care after a year; 3 grand in tuition reimbursement at start for up to 4 years. M-F work schedule and o yeah, this is all part time 3-4 hours a day. I don’t know what you consider “shit for money” but as a 20 something working to put myself through school on my own dime, I wish I had done this a lot sooner.

howatzer
    Participant

The teamsters own UPS.

cheap

lifeontwowheels said:
    $12-15/hr within 5 years; free health care after a year; 3 grand in tuition reimbursement at start for up to 4 years. M-F work schedule and o yeah, this is all part time 3-4 hours a day. I don’t know what you consider “shit for money” but as a 20 something working to put myself through school on my own dime, I wish I had done this a lot sooner.

how much are your union dues

don’t lie

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

cheap said:
    how much are your union dues

don’t lie

I haven’t hit union status yet but I’ve been told they aren’t much.

cheap

i know people that have worked there.

you are going to be one mad mf’er when you see your check

after union dues are taken out

howatzer
    Participant

“Lotta poor man got to walk the line Just to pay his union dues.”
    – Grateful Dead, “Cumberland Blues”

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

cheap said:
    i know people that have worked there.

you are going to be one mad mf’er when you see your check

after union dues are taken out

What do you honestly care? I’m not pro or anti union, I just wanted a decent job that fit my needs and would eventually let me pursue other things. I knew it was union going in and I made the choice when they offered me a position. If I didn’t want to be in the union I could have applied to Fed Ex or any other job in the fucking city.

CooperGuy

gramarye said:
    Also, the notion that unions are somehow the guarantors of middle-class existence (rather than one of the major influences behind pushing companies overseas and into automating work) is seriously questionable in today’s world (and I’m not convinced of the truth of that thesis even 60 years ago, but that’s moot at this point).

While I’m personally on the fence regarding unions, I would disagree with the unions-are-to-blame for automation point. As a former long-time employee at Honda, which has always been non-union, my experience is that they are constantly innovating automated equipment designed to replace humans – and not just a body here an there, but equipment/systems that can replace dozens of people per shift. Automation isn’t created due to unions or their demands, but has many other benefits for a company with manpower reduction, union and non-union alike, just being one of them. Non-stop operation, quality-consistency, ease of modification (vs retraining humans), cost to repair, (vs humans), etc to list a few.

pez
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    I haven’t hit union status yet but I’ve been told they aren’t much.

Typically 2.5 x hourly rate /month. + $150 initiation.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

pez said:
    Typically 2.5 x hourly rate /month. + $150 initiation.

That’s what I was just reading elsewhere. Considering I pay around $120/month for healthcare through my ft employer, I always chalked up future union dues (which would be much less) as basically paying for the healthcare.

ehill27
    Participant

howatzer said:
    That’s the wonderful thing about having states – they give you a good sample from which to test such beliefs…. Conclusion: Unionization doesn’t really matter to either income or unemployment rates at the state level.

I think the stats warrant deeper analysis that this.

Unions were created out of necessity by folks driven to the brink. Driven so far that they risked it all to form them. Without unions, I see no reason why business wouldn’t push folks to back the brink. Thus recreating the cycle to demand fairness through the power of the mass bargaining.

I’d like to believe that unions aren’t necessary, but I see no evidence to be hopeful for such a utopian world.

howatzer
    Participant

ehill27 said:
    I think the stats warrant deeper analysis that this.

Unions were created out of necessity by folks driven to the brink. Driven so far that they risked it all to form them. Without unions, I see no reason why business wouldn’t push folks to back the brink. Thus recreating the cycle to demand fairness through the power of the mass bargaining.

I’d like to believe that unions aren’t necessary, but I see no evidence to be hopeful for such a utopian world.

If you mean the “I believe it so, so it must be so” analysis, I’ll let you keep pursuing that. Ill stick to the data.

howatzer
    Participant

CooperGuy said:
    While I’m personally on the fence regarding unions, I would disagree with the unions-are-to-blame for automation point. As a former long-time employee at Honda, which has always been non-union, my experience is that they are constantly innovating automated equipment designed to replace humans – and not just a body here an there, but equipment/systems that can replace dozens of people per shift. Automation isn’t created due to unions or their demands, but has many other benefits for a company with manpower reduction, union and non-union alike, just being one of them. Non-stop operation, quality-consistency, ease of modification (vs retraining humans), cost to repair, (vs humans), etc to list a few.

And most importantly, you can just throw an obsolete machine on the scrap heap and you won’t need to pay it a pension for 20+ years.

I agree that unionization and automation are not necessarily coupled – even chinese workers are losing jobs to automation.

But also keep in mind that automation doesn’t destroy labor – it may destroy particular (typically low-skilled) jobs, but that labor is then free to do other things. If automation destroyed labor, unemployment rates should have been decreasing steadily for that past 200 years.

myliftkk
    Participant

I worked for Ups for six years in the nineties. Union dues on part time work were twenty/month. I had full medical as a part timer as of thirty days in. By the time I left, I was free to work however many extra hours I wanted on other shifts and was pulling down about 30k given full time hours for a part time employee.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE