Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sweet Carrot Restaurants - 5xNW and Worthington

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Sweet Carrot Restaurants – 5xNW and Worthington

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Rife’s Market Closing their Doors
    September 17, 2014 6:17 pm – Walker Evans

After 78 years in business, Rife’s Market, located at 1417 West Fifth Avenue is closing their doors for good. The family-owned operation has anchored the corner of Fifth and Grandview Avenues for the better part of a century, and the great-granddaughter of the original owner says that its time to call it quits after much consideration.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/rifes-market-closing-their-doors

columbusfoodie
    Participant

Really sad to hear this – got some terrific watermelon, peaches, and store-made sausage there just a couple weeks ago.. Hate to see local independent markets go out of business.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Prime location… I don’t see this sitting empty for long.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Sad in a way, but the family has earned their retirement. They should be doing just fine when they sell that parcel – think of how much the value of that corner has appreciated over 78 years!

Question for the crowd – Now where do I go to get nice, USDA Prime steaks from a butcher who knows what the heck he’s doing?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Question for the crowd – Now where do I go to get nice, USDA Prime steaks from a butcher who knows what the heck he’s doing?

Weilands?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Prime location… I don’t see this sitting empty for long.

Probably not.

duncanfj
    Participant

Sad in a way, but the family has earned their retirement. They should be doing just fine when they sell that parcel – think of how much the value of that corner has appreciated over 78 years!

Bluescreek.

Scioto Tower
    Participant

I had always heard people in the Grandview/Arlington area talk about getting their meat at Rife’s. They advertised their steaks (or at least the ones I bought) as “prime”, which of course is the highest priced “grade” of beef, and is supposed to have a certain amount of marbling. I don’t recall what it cost, but I must say I was not impressed with my steak as compared to the prime I can buy at Giant Eagle. It didn’t look as marbled and it tasted like your run of the mill choice steak you can get wherever.

Besides Giant Eagle, I saw above that people recommended Weiland’s and/or Bluescreek. Neither website specifically mentioned them carrying “prime” beef. Bluescreek did mention that they do dry age their meat, which of course makes the flavor better, but it didn’t mention prime. Do these two places carry “prime” beef?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I was just guessing, I have no idea.

duncanfj
    Participant

If you want a steak that tastes like something you can get from Kroger or Giant Eagle, get one from those places. Prime is a designation that does not have to be used by the processor, it has to be requested. Bluescreek raises and processes all of their own meats. You want a special cut, give them a call. I can guarantee you the meat they sell is going to taste better than what you are going to get in most stores. I’ve compared it side by side and it is just better.

GCrites80s
    Participant

meltsintowonder
    Participant

If they’re not labeled as USDA Prime, I assume they’re just referring to them as prime or higher quality. I think they’ve had their building labeled as “prime steaks” or “prime beef” probably long before the USDA came out with the grades. Who knows.

So are they closing, own the property, and plan to sell the property, or just shuttering their doors? I’d think there’s some value in the business unless they want to sell the actual “prime” property.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Rife’s were labeled with the sticker, USDA Prime. Nice people too. I will miss that place.

Cityside
    Participant

Huffman’s in Upper Arlington has a great butcher shop! I hate to see them go… took pictures of the place when doing a brochure for 5XNW eight years ago as an icon of the neighborhood! Two years ago the Riffe’s said it was going to be condos… don’t know now if that is still the case!

pez
    Participant

Huffman’s in Upper Arlington has a great butcher shop! I hate to see them go… took pictures of the place when doing a brochure for 5XNW eight years ago as an icon of the neighborhood! Two years ago the Riffe’s said it was going to be condos… don’t know now if that is still the case!

With Giant Eagle right down the road getting a state liquor store, I’d guess the future for Huffman’s is probably pretty bleak too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: