Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Restaurant Rants

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Restaurant Rants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

This is not an actual idea, but just an observation– I wonder if tips are still in place as a way to make customers feel kingly or upper crust?

Like we need a few professions we can sort of dangle a carrot in front of, just to make ourselves feel like we’re enjoying luxury.

We like stuff like that. “Shaken not stirred my good man, and this time put a smile on your face and there might be a little something in it for you!”

Conversely, I have enjoyed being a server because I enjoy being servile. I get a perverse pleasure out of killing people with kindness, like some sort of game. In particular it makes me feel great to be sugary-sweet to a-holes. I can tell it sort of ruins their fun :)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

In particular it makes me feel great to be sugary-sweet to a-holes. I can tell it sort of ruins their fun :)

My sister did that, kill them with kindness, working the phone room in a big local florist. She’d get an irate customer, and just deflate them.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

alexs said:

In particular it makes me feel great to be sugary-sweet to a-holes. I can tell it sort of ruins their fun :)

My sister did that, kill them with kindness, working the phone room in a big local florist. She’d get an irate customer, and just deflate them.

People can be so mean to florists! Be nice to florists– they’re flowers for chrissakes!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Hah, back when I had long hair I was making florist deliveries, one house had all these KEEP OUT and NO SOLICITATION signs, maybe half a dozen of them on the door. I rang the bell and dogs went off, a woman peeked through the window and I could hear her say “See what he wants.” A guy opened the door, and I handed him flowers.

Schoolboy
    Participant

Every time I hear a discussion about the importance of a good server, it always reminds me of an old friend who had an argument over the importance of his wife’s job/career. How hard it was, etc etc…

He had a lucrative web server business he ran out of his home. She had just been promoted from server/manager to some sort of decent salaried position at a corporate office.

Somehow through some stupid lover’s quarrel a bet was placed that he could not survive 3 months in the service industry. His remarks were along the lines that anybody with an average IQ or higher could do what she had done. Side note… he was also very anti college which fueled the argument as well.

Knowing the guy, my money was completely against him. He could be extremely short fused and very impolite. In fact, I would have bet the farm on him being fired within a month.

She pulled some strings, and got him a job with the same chain but different store.

Amazingly at the end of his 3 months he got some sort of employee of the month award.

He blames this contest on their divorce. She blames it on him being a no it all, never wrong asshole. (Which he was)

Twixlen
    Participant

Manatee said:

This is one of my favorites as well. It works for nearly all situations, not just waiting tables/bartending!

Little Known Fact: It is *much* harder to be a server in a dead restaurant than a busy one. There’s something about the timing of having other tables – the fact that you can eyeball a table as you tend to another… having no other tables kills that natural flow. You don’t want to stalk the table, and be annoyingly attentive, but you don’t want to be gone too long. I used to make up reasons to be at the other tables (empty) nearby, just so I could keep eyeballs on my active table. Also, when the restaurant is dead, the manager will ply the servers with lots of non-serving tasks – oh, the rolling of the silverware, the cleaning of the coffee pots, the dismantling of the iced tea brewer.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    You don’t want to stalk the table, and be annoyingly attentive

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: