Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • Author

ricospaz
    Participant

Can I make it rain with the tip? That’s what they like at the Roadhouse!

derm
    derm
    Participant

As a former bartender, dishwasher, waiter and line cook I dont sweat the small stuff at a restaurant knowing the pay they get, the hours and the stress.

If I have a bad time at a place I vote with my feet. We have a ton of awesome choices in CBus for dining.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I know someone who works at a beer drive through who brings home around 15 bucks a shift in tips.

I have never even thought to tip the person at the drive through.

Bear
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Let’s remember, Papa John’s would rather fire their employees than increase their pizza cost by like 13 cents.

Which is a reaction to the public’s likely reaction to an increase in the price of pizza.

Which gives you part of the answer: we’d rather have the price of something hidden from us than pay it up front.

mrmann

derm said:
    If I have a bad time at a place I vote with my feet. We have a ton of awesome choices in CBus for dining.

+1 The server is as important as the chef in making the experience. If they aren’t capable of getting a 20% tip then it is the restaurant’s fault for keeping them.

drew
    Participant

I really liked traveling in Asia – no tips required as they were factored into salaries. This made meals and such seem more expensive (particularly in Japan), but far less fraught with questions of when to peel off some extra foreign currency (and how much it actually was…).

Anywhoo… back here in ‘murica, I do this:

– 20% for servers, more if they rock, they’d really have to screw up to get less
    – Unless its a HUGE order, the pizza guy gets a fiver as order size seems largely irrelevant to the effort involved.
    – 20-30% for barber.
    – I can honestly say that I’ve never had a cable guy who I’d want to give any tip other than ‘you might need to go back for more training’. Perhaps I’ve just had bad luck – never had one that got the job done right the first time.

And, I’ll +1 anyone above who said that restaurant work is just about the hardest work to be found. I have boundless respect for people who choose a position within the industry as their career path. You can generally tell when you’ve got a good career server, and holy hell, they’re a big good thing.

joev
    Participant

Bear said:
    Which is a reaction to the public’s likely reaction to an increase in the price of pizza.

Which gives you part of the answer: we’d rather have the price of something hidden from us than pay it up front.

I don’t think that’s an accurate correlation. It’s the opinion of a billionaire who didn’t want to cut into his profit to ensure his employees had health insurance.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Tip incident for pizza delivery.

On Tuesday, a Reddit user named Jfastman uploaded a photo of a receipt for a pizza delivery that included 85 pizzas totaling $1,453. “My friend delivered 85 pizzas today and got a $10 tip,” he wrote. The story kicked off a fiery debate prompting dozens to write comments such as “The delivery guy deserved more” and “Ten dollars is cheap!” Others insisted that no one could realistically expect to receive a 20 percent tip on such a large order.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    Pro tip:

I hate to say this, but for all of you tippers out there, please remember most servers prefer cash tips. :)

How people do their taxes is their own business, but if servers want to be tipped cash so they can cheat on taxes I don’t want anything to do with it.

After all, serving is a profession, and professionals gotta pay their taxes!

mrmann

To be fair there are other reasons for wanting to be tipped in cash. I worked at a place where the owner divided up cc tips between the whole house – select kitchen staff included. There are plenty of cases where unscrupulous owners or managers make up arbitrary bs for where the servers tip goes.

Schoolboy
    Participant

mrmann said:
    To be fair there are other reasons for wanting to be tipped in cash. I worked at a place where the owner divided up cc tips between the whole house – select kitchen staff included. There are plenty of cases where unscrupulous owners or managers make up arbitrary bs for where the servers tip goes.

How about the biggest bs scam some places try to pull.

The pyramid tip divide.

Aka blowees after and/or before doors open get you the most tips.

leftovers

mrmann said:

Been there, done that…it is pretty bad when your tips are being used to subsidize the owner’s getting away with shitty pay in the back of the house. I have also worked at places that had credit card fees deducted.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

The conversation seems to be very layered as it goes on. Interesting topic.

First off, some people are servers as a profession or it’s something to make a little money for the time being because it’s an easier job to obtain (but not necessarily easy to perform). My brother has been a life-long server and he’s good at it. My mom delivered pizzas for a few years when I was younger just so we could make ends meet.

As for pay, it’s a unique position because it is one role where the government sets a different minimum wage versus other waged jobs. The server makes money off the tips. There seems to be a correlation between how good you are at the job as a career and where you work and how much money you make. And it’s all off a similar percentage, but the average per person ticket increases, which directly impacts money in the server’s pocket. I think everybody agrees that most people tip 15-25% for a reasonably positive experience.

Somebody looking for immediate work or it’s their first time as a server might be at Skyline Chili, where tickets are $5-$10/person. More experienced servers and/or better servers are at restaurants with larger tickets (i.e. The Refectory) or in environments they enjoy (i.e. Betty’s).

We all have different expectations of a dining experience and we all vary our tipping based on these expectations.

I find the discussion about pizza tipping interesting. Because whether you order one pizza or three pizzas, it seems to be the same amount of work so many will tip based on an absolute value and not a percentage. It’s like buying a bottle of wine at a restaurant. If it’s a $100 bottle versus a $10 bottle, do you tip 10x more? I’ve seen this argument many times. But when you’re dining out, your ticket gets bigger as you order drinks, order apps, order entrees, order more drinks, order dessert, etc. and this all becomes more work for the service, hence the percentage of the check going to the server as a tip.

When you’re at a coffee shop, are they given a server’s wage or higher wage? Do you tip someone who pours you coffee out of an airpot? I know many who tip nothing while others tip 50%.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

And the models like Northstar are pretty interesting. Pay the staff more and there’s no tipping. The customer is paying for that additional wage in the end in the price of the food. But the staff has a different role there because there isn’t traditional table service like their 3rd & Hollywood model. Also, they seem to get better people. The quality of the staff reminds me of Starbucks’ employees. Hire good, friendly people.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

When you’re at a coffee shop, are they given a server’s wage or higher wage? Do you tip someone who pours you coffee out of an airpot? I know many who tip nothing while others tip 50%.

On this it depends for me. If paying by credit, rarely if ever. If by cash, it’s usually the spare change from the money I gave them.

Exceptions have been:

One COJ I frequented regularly had 2 workers who got to know me by face and drink. 9/10 I’d walk in and they’d either have the drink ready by the time I was at the register or ask if I wanted my usual. On those ocassions an extra $1 or so would find its way in the jar.

One Line always gets that extra $1-2 for the knowledge and product they offer.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: