Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Since we’re veering off into tipping…do you tip the cable guy? (and I don’t mean pay him for illegal hookups, I mean just the normal visit) He always seems like he’s kind of expecting a tip.

What’s a fair tip for pizza delivery guys at places that have a delivery fee already? I’ve been torn on this one, because I’ve always tipped those guys well (like 15-20%), but now that I’m paying 2 or 3 bucks more just for the delivery stuff becomes stupid expensive.

What do you tip your hair professional? I usually do about 25-30% and then 50 bucks at Christmas, but as she continues to get promoted that’s becoming kind of steep (I think its like 40 or 50 for a cut now).

shirtandpants
    Participant

if restaurant servers are considered to be professionals, then why don’t their employers just pay them a living wage in the first place (and benefits while we’re at it), instead of depending on customers to do it for them?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

shirtandpants said:
    if restaurant servers are considered to be professionals, then why don’t their employers just pay them a living wage in the first place (and benefits while we’re at it), instead of depending on customers to do it for them?

So realtors aren’t professionals now either?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    What do you tip your hair professional? I usually do about 25-30% and then 50 bucks at Christmas, but as she continues to get promoted that’s becoming kind of steep (I think its like 40 or 50 for a cut now).

I tip $5 on a $15 cut, other times I just leave the money on the dresser.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Snarf said:
    I tip $5 on a $15 cut, other times I just leave the money on the dresser.

I’m pretty much with you on this, the high percentage on hair services makes sense because its such a personal thing.

pez
    Participant

kmg67 said:
    When the server is telling you what the specials are they should also tell you the price. I shouldn’t have to ask.

And the menu should also tell you the drink prices. I’m not really worried about the actual price and I’ll pay up for a good drink. If there’s no price listed, I’m not going to ask you and I’m much more apt to just order a glass of water or a single domestic beer.

Bear
    Participant

shirtandpants said:

They could absolutely do that. At a rough guess, I’d estimate that such a policy would increase your bill by around 20%.

buckette13

Bear said:
    They could absolutely do that. At a rough guess, I’d estimate that such a policy would increase your bill by around 20%.

Pro tip:

I hate to say this, but for all of you tippers out there, please remember most servers prefer cash tips. :)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    Pro tip:

I hate to say this, but for all of you tippers out there, please remember most servers prefer cash tips. :)

I tip cash on credit most often. I used to write zero on the tip line and leave cash but a server told me once that I should write “cash” on the tip line for some reason, to avoid fraud suspicion or something maybe.

Twixlen
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Since we’re veering off into tipping…do you tip the cable guy? (and I don’t mean pay him for illegal hookups, I mean just the normal visit) He always seems like he’s kind of expecting a tip.

I don’t tip the cable dude. Although – if I happen to have cookies/cake I’ve baked, I’ll offer that up to service professionals that might be working on my house.

What’s a fair tip for pizza delivery guys at places that have a delivery fee already? I’ve been torn on this one, because I’ve always tipped those guys well (like 15-20%), but now that I’m paying 2 or 3 bucks more just for the delivery stuff becomes stupid expensive.

So, the delivery fee thing gets me too. If there is one, I usually tip in the 10% range. If not, then definitely the usual 20%.

I am really bad at the Christmas gift for professionals! I need to work on that… anyway – I definitely tip at least 25%. Being good at hair is a serious skill, and definitely personal. I’d never want to be on the bad side of the person with scissors at my head.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

shirtandpants said:

American culture, namely. Applebee’s isn’t going to up the menu price 20% when they know there’s a cheap labor pool at their disposal.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    American culture, namely. Applebee’s isn’t going to up the menu price 20% when they know there’s a cheap labor pool at their disposal.

Let’s remember, Papa John’s would rather fire their employees than increase their pizza cost by like 13 cents.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Let’s remember, Papa John’s would rather fire their employees than increase their pizza cost by like 13 cents.

Exactly

Jman4ever
    Participant

Snarf said:
    I tip cash on credit most often. I used to write zero on the tip line and leave cash but a server told me once that I should write “cash” on the tip line for some reason, to avoid fraud suspicion or something maybe.

If you put 0 a dishonest wait could turn it into a 10.00 or whatever and get a nice little bonus.

It happens unfortunately.

buckette13

@snarf – Writing cash on the tip line when leaving a cash tip is a good idea. Nothing wrong with that. I am not sure about the fraud as they would need to change the total, but it also lets everyone know you aren’t stiffing someone and that their services are appreciated. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: