Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

DTown said:
    Fantastic. Now, and for the rest of my life, I am going to have that image in my mind every single time I go into a restaurant.

And if it were just perched on the edge? 22%.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

If this is turning into a tipping thread, then I’m calling it 100 pages easily.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

kmg67
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    As someone who has waited tables in different establishments, tended bar, and worked the various jobs in the back of the house from running the Hobart to chopping onions, to filling out the dairy invoice, to cleaning up kid-puke off the steakhouse floor, to putting out trash can fires, endless et al, a server would have to pretty much take a shit in the middle of my plate for me to give less than a 20% tip.

When you walk into the restaurant (sit-down, full service), that 20% is already out of your pocket – it’s the *least* someone should expect to pay, for standard service. If they go above and beyond, the tip should dang well reflect that. If there was something about the meal that you didn’t like – something that was beyond the server’s control – still 20%.

There are absolutely people waiting tables, or working other jobs inside the industry that consider themselves professionals at what they do. They’ve made it their career, and do their jobs damn well. It doesn’t take a 4 year degree to make someone a professional. There are plenty of smart people in the world who could never have the right skills to work in a restaurant.

Sidenote: Restaurant-working stories are some of the best stories ever. The stuff that goes on behind the scenes is unbelievable. It was one of the best and hardest jobs I ever had.

I’ll tip 20% as long as the service is adequate and more if it is better but there is no chance I am leaving 20% if the service is sub par. I won’t leave 0 either as that won’t get the point across. Leaving nothing could be interpreted incorrectly by the server – maybe I never tip, maybe I forgot, maybe I’m European … whatever. I will leave 5-10% though as that seems to inflict the maximum amount of emotional damage.

Several months ago I had an unusually bout of horrible service (bad pacing, incorrect order, shitty attitude) at a place in the Short North. The check came to $150. Normally I’d gladly hand over at least $30 but instead I gave the guy $9. He knew I went out of my way to screw him.

Its not about the money, its about the message.

Twixlen
    Participant

Dotson said:
    And plenty of people who do work in restaurants also lack those skills. 20% no matter what? In the words of the professional wordsmith young jeezy. Where dey do dat at?

Pretty sure the words “no matter what” never were written by me, but much assumed by you. Regardless of how folks feel about the act of tipping, it’s the system we have – the people serving your food make a pitiful hourly wage; tips are the living. If you legitimately receive bad service, by all means, the tip should reflect that; even better, notify the manager. Sure, there are a load of people waiting tables/working front of the house who aren’t great at their jobs – just like there are a load of white collar desk drivers who aren’t great at their jobs. I also think for every person who isn’t the best at waiting tables, there’s at least one customer out there who’s a major PITA, and has unreasonable expectations about exactly what to expect of sit-down service.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Unless you are doing your job on a volunteer basis and taking no money, you are a professional at that job. Being a professional in the service industry requires a huge amount of politeness and patience with the general population, many of whom will not reciprocate. As a former “wage slave” in retail and then banking / finance (I’ve never worked for tips), my massive kudos go to those servers and hosts who do so with a smile and a correct entree placed in front of me.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Northstar factors tips into their pricing so that model is being used locally and seemingly successfully. However, they get heat for higher prices when in fact, the customer is paying in either model, whether through higher costs per menu item or through tipping the server.

Jman4ever
    Participant

Snarf said:
    If this is turning into a tipping thread, then I’m calling it 100 pages easily.

Not sure it’s a matter of if, but when. I say by noon tomorrow…..

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

When I’ve been on dates with dudes who tip less than 20% or suggest that I tip less, I don’t go on more dates with them. But then again if a server is a real jackass, I don’t tip. But they have to be over-the-top horrible, and even then I’ll usually say something to them first. Like hey, I know this job is really challenging but if you want to make it worth getting out of bed in the morning, why not lighten up? You’ve got to look out for #1!

I was waited on by this incredibly charming old NYC Jewish guy at a restaurant in Portland, it was clear he considered his job his profession and took it very seriously, as if he were on Broadway every day. The restaurant was little more than a glorified carry-out deli place, but the service made it the best restaurant in a town full of precious localvore establishments. Of course it helped that he was proud of what they served and knew he could depend on the kitchen staff to deliver.

I dunno, if you’re a server, respect yourself and do a good job. It makes life so much better. Shitty customers shouldn’t be able to get your number.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Anyone every actually do this?

billbix

I have never seen a +/- box with tip figured in. Seems like a good idea, I hate figuring out tips.

groundrules
    Participant

I know perfectly smart people who can’t figure out what 20% is. Do we all know this math trick?

Take total, say $32.50, and move decimal over one place (3.25). That’s 10%. Double that number (3.25 x 2). The result ($6.50) is 20%. Round at the beginning or the end if you can’t add.

The important thing is this is so simple I can do it when I’m drunk.

billbix

groundrules said:

The important thing is this is so simple I can do it when I’m drunk.

If all I have to do is sign the paper I am a lot better off. ;)

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Pretty sure the words “no matter what” never were written by me, but much assumed by you. Regardless of how folks feel about the act of tipping, it’s the system we have – the people serving your food make a pitiful hourly wage; tips are the living. If you legitimately receive bad service, by all means, the tip should reflect that; even better, notify the manager. Sure, there are a load of people waiting tables/working front of the house who aren’t great at their jobs – just like there are a load of white collar desk drivers who aren’t great at their jobs. I also think for every person who isn’t the best at waiting tables, there’s at least one customer out there who’s a major PITA, and has unreasonable expectations about exactly what to expect of sit-down service.

+1 on everything you’ve posted here (and Liz).

My barber’s standard of service is far and away above say Great Clips or some other local shops I’ve tried. He will always be compensated well by me.

groundrules
    Participant

billbix said:
    If all I have to do is sign the paper I am a lot better off. ;)

an excellent point.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: