Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)
  • Author

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

The other rants frmn Rant Week:

http://cmhgourmand.com/2013/03/02/chili-a-rant-a-recipe-and-some-science/

http://cmhgourmand.com/2013/02/28/restaurant-rants-the-sequel/

http://cmhgourmand.com/2013/02/24/restaurant-rants/

The observations are about front and back of the house and well as customers that are being served and I called myself out a thing or two as well. We can all do better, but if your livelihood depends on good service, these are all good things to keep in mind.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

As tips provide the bulk of server income, ‘wage slave’ isn’t an accurate representation of how a server receives his/her compensation in the restaurant industry. I don’t think the front-of-the-house professionals employed in one of the largest private sector industries in the region (also, one of the few growing industries nationally) consider themselves to be ‘slaves’ to their customers or to their own (usually) below-minimum wage.

Complaints about the industry, server quirks, restaurant flaws and service issues are more than fair. Using offensive language to demean the jobs of professionals who are there to SERVE you (albeit not exactly how you’d like to be served), speaks more about the customer than his/her server. Any customer who might confuse the terms ‘server’ and ‘slave’ will very likely receive a level of service directly proportionate to his/her offensive views of the industry professional that is serving him/her.

cbus11

When I was a server long ago, my pay (talking tips) would vary greatly by the changing shift schedule I ended up with that week. That always made it hard to plan. I felt a lot less in control of my earnings than in any other job I have ever had. I just wanted to add that as my own personal server rant.

groundrules
    Participant

roy said:
    It would add credibility if you’d include your restaurant service and restaurant management experience, is your food service bio posted anywhere?

remember, eating is a highly evolved skill. not just anyone can do it. especially at a restaurant.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Dotson said:
    Here is my rant regarding change. When I am at a restaurant and the server brings back my change, but does not bring back the change (ie. 26 cents or whatever it is). Why are you assuming that I am giving this to you? I have a zero tolerance policy with this and you earn 0 for a tip if this occurs.

Oh yeah, that’s a huge pet peeve for me, too. I find it incredibly lazy, rude, and disrespectful. The one time in my life I stiffed a server was when that happened to me.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Most people don’t go out to a dining establishment to sit in a sub par environment and get any attitude from who is serving them; that’s why it’s called HOSPITALITY folks. Throw on the happy face for those hours and fake it if you have to; if you feel like that’s too much, than maybe this isn’t your industry/profession.

People don’t spend 3x what it would cost them to make at home for anything that would remotely be considered subpar.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

lizless said:
    As tips provide the bulk of server income, ‘wage slave’ isn’t an accurate representation of how a server receives his/her compensation in the restaurant industry. . Any customer who might confuse the terms ‘server’ and ‘slave’ will very likely receive a level of service directly proportionate to his/her offensive views of the industry professional that is serving him/her.

Liz is a friend of mine and I know her well.

Wage Slave is not intended or presented as a degrading term in the post. In the context, it does indicate that I am largely talking about Fast Food Windows for the change doing a Fred Flintstone yubba Dubba Doo dive off of the paper tender and landing on the ground by the window. My first job paid $2.85 per hour and we used the term wage slave among ourselves

Many people I know and speak with use the term to describe themselves.

Those of us that know and respect how the Columbus Food League treats and values it’s employees would not use that term to describe servers in those or most restaurants but we would probably use that term for McDonald’s, Wendy’s, the hostess at Bob Evans and etc., young people in their first entry level job or people with jobs that allow them to not quite scrape by.

No offense was meant in use of the term and reading the context of the body of the post – which contains at least a large serving of sarcasm, I am surpised that offense was taken as it was.

That being said keep up the good work and being a model for the industry.

For a counter point – Wage Slave has many different definitions and interpretations.

http://www.whywork.org/about/faq/wageslave.html

http://www.wisebread.com/how-to-not-be-a-wage-slave

hdtvohio
    Participant

My restaurant rant: If a place has a coupon online on their website, and there is no barcode that needs to be scanned, and there is nothing stopping you from printing out a new coupon ever visit, then showing the restaurant your mobile device with the coupon on it should be acceptable. I understand that restaurants might like to staple coupons to show why a price was reduced, but I think there should be some other way to denote a coupon was used, like having a stamp for the check if somebody shows the coupon on their phone. It’s just that promoting using paper for no apparent reason sounds counter intuitive to me.

Places which have policy where you have to physically print out the coupon: Classics Pizza Downtown (and they are very very rude too); Mi Mexico in Whitehall (they are very polite though so it doesn’t bother me as much there)

joev
    Participant

CMH Gourmand said:
    Liz is a friend of mine and I know her well.

Wage Slave is not intended or presented as a degrading term in the post. In the context, it does indicate that I am largely talking about Fast Food Windows for the change doing a Fred Flintstone yubba Dubba Doo dive off of the paper tender and landing on the ground by the window. My first job paid $2.85 per hour and we used the term wage slave among ourselves

Now I am going to take umbrage. “yubba Dubbba Doo?” What kind of Cro-Magnon do you take me for? It’s obviously “Yabba-Dabba Do.”

Roland
    Participant

I rage when a server will defend against a complaint about the food served instead of whisking it away to be corrected or replaced.

Me: “This steak is funky.”
    Them: “No it’s not. That’s normal.”
    Me: “Smell this!”

Me: “There is something wrong with this drink.”
    Them: “That is the drink you ordered.”
    Me: “They used salt instead of sugar!”
    Them: “Harumph…”

The mistake sucks but it’s the response that bothers me more. Just correct the problem. And if it can’t be done in a timely manner where I can still eat with the rest of the table, let me know beforehand.

hajames66
    Participant

My most common complaint is about pacing. If I order an appetizer, salad, entree, and dessert none of them should be on the table at the same time.

This has become enough of a common occurrence that my wife and I have started keeping the menu hostage and ordering each course separately. It’s a pain in the but having the menu crowding the table, but less of a pain than trying to wolf down a salad so that my entree doesn’t get cold.

Kahiki

This entire thread is why the terrorists hate us.

groundrules
    Participant

Kahiki said:
    This entire thread is why the terrorists hate us.

seriously.

someone with gourmand in their name just bitched about service at the drive-thru.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

At The Top bar the other night I got fresh hot hand towels after dinner which made me feel dainty and fresh.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

All are examples of 1st world problems…..which are not really problems. All of the rants should be taken with a grain of salt, unless of course you would prefer local salt, organic free range salt or are allergic to salt, which may be another post now that I think about it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: