Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Restaurant Rants

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Restaurant Rants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)
  • Author

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

I just completed a four part series on Restaurant peeves and rants. Discussion has been a bit tame on CU of late – maybe this will inspire some more ire.

The first of the 4 part series is listed below.

http://cmhgourmand.com/2013/02/24/restaurant-rants/

Dotson

Here is my rant regarding change. When I am at a restaurant and the server brings back my change, but does not bring back the change (ie. 26 cents or whatever it is). Why are you assuming that I am giving this to you? I have a zero tolerance policy with this and you earn 0 for a tip if this occurs.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

CMH Gourmand said:
    Discussion has been a bit tame on CU of late

really? https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/wonderland-columbus

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Servers who just serve. We were out a few weeks back at a semi ‘spensive place, and it was like pulling teeth trying to get our entire order in. Not once did the server voluntarily ask if there was anything we needed, or if we had everything, drinks were plopped down and then they disappeared for ten minutes while my dinner mate was left wondering if he’d ever see the beer he’d ordered. I don’t feel like I’m a high maintenance diner, but I do need a minute to put my fork down and ask for another glass a wine.

roy
    Participant

CMH Gourmand said: I just completed a four part series on Restaurant peeves and rants.
    http://cmhgourmand.com/2013/02/24/restaurant-rants/

It would add credibility if you’d include your restaurant service and restaurant management experience, is your food service bio posted anywhere?

thirstychef
    Participant

Interesting article. For each different guest, there are a different set of expectations. Some want extra attention and banter, some just want quick concise service. I once dealt with a guest complaint that said everything was great, except the server did not engage the table enough.

Some always want a drink always full, others want to be asked. So there are few basic rules that universally apply, but most of the time it is guest and restaurant specific.

I find that I target my dining experience toward my mood, and change my expectations based on what dining experience I chose.

The only major issue I have with fine or upscale dining and their respective table arrangemnts. CMR, Hyde Park, etc tend to stack their tables on top of eachother. I figure once you get past the $50 per person average, then you deserve to have the dining experience to yourselves, not with the next table.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Can’t agree with the complaining rant enough.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

If someone else using a cell phone flash puts you off your meal… it must not be a very good meal.. just saying.

kmg67
    Participant

When the server is telling you what the specials are they should also tell you the price. I shouldn’t have to ask.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Great rant! I’ve been a prep cook, but never out front.

(janitor tales withheld)

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

roy said:
    It would add credibility if you’d include your restaurant service and restaurant management experience, is your food service bio posted anywhere?

I don’t think the the term rant…..implies the need for any credibility.

Now if it was an expose, or consulting evaluation or if I was doing the show Restaurant Impossible maybe.

Do most of us on CU have the credibility to rant on anything?

joev
    Participant

CMH Gourmand said:
    I don’t think the the term rant…..implies the need for any credibility.

Now if it was an expose, or consulting evaluation or if I was doing the show Restaurant Impossible maybe.

Do most of us on CU have the credibility to rant on anything?

The court finds that CMHGourmand, as a person who at least occasionally eats, does have legal standing to make mild-to-moderate complaints against general food service activities.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

roy said:

That being said……allow me to answer your question.

About CMH Gourmand

To supplement the above to spell it out more clearly:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimellison

To bullet point a few things.
    2 years of restaurant and supervisory experience in a restaurant
    Level 1 Food Safety Training (twice)
    Graduate of Hot Dog University in Chicago
    Mystery Shopper/Diner for Cameron Mitchell restaurants 2001 – 2002
    Professionally writing about restaurants since 1998
    CMH Gourmand 2006 to present
    Taco Trucks Columbus 2009 to present
    Street Eats Columbus 2010 to present
    WCBE Foodcast 2011 to present
    Countless cooking classes and workshops since 1993
    2nd place in three Chili competitions
    Kanasas City BBQ Society Certified BBQ judge
    Judge at Ohuio State Fair Food Competitions 2010 to present
    Judge at North Market competitions 2008 to present
    Judge at countless pro and semi pro contests
    Coordinator of Pizza Gran Prix 1-6
    I eat out a lot
    I work for the Food Fort where I work with and consult with food trucks, carts, food based businesses, restaurants, etc.
    Have owned and operated a social media consulting company that works exclusively with food based businesses for 3 years
    I am a keen observer of the good and bad in the service industry and have over 20 years of front line customer service experience
    I am sure I forgot a couple things.

I hope that addresses the credibility question.

I should have listed that out somewhere in the series, so good idea.

Do you have any others?

bucki12

joev said:
    The court finds that CMHGourmand, as a person who at least occasionally eats, does have legal standing to make mild-to-moderate complaints against general food service activities.

LOL

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

joev said:

We accept the findings of the court.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION