Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sonoma Grille - New Restaurant in The Arena District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Sonoma Grille – New Restaurant in The Arena District

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gus W wrote:</div>
    I was down at early on a Saturday afternoon, and it was a ghost town. Compare that to a few blocks away near the North Market side, and it’s completely different. Are the restaurants going to be able to survive on lunch alone?

I regularly drive by the North Market on Park Street at 9am after dropping my kids off at school, and that area is a ghost town at that hour. Ebb and flow.

I do agree with your original point that being a unique/destination restaurant concept is important for drawing a crowd outside of the existing footprint of resident, office and event-goers to the area. That being said, the doom-and-gloom scenario you’re painting for the Arena District seems a bit odd considering there are many restaurants there that have been there for a long time… Boston’s, Buca, Ted’s, Sunny Street Cafe, Gordon Biersch, Chipotle, etc. It’s not like it’s an area of constant turnover.

I don’t think these restaurants have any fear of going out of business, since they are part of large corporate chains, so even if they weren’t doing that great, they still have the money to keep them up. I’d really just like to see more uniqueness in the area. I can’t find anything on Sonoma, so maybe they’re not a chain which will hopefully be good.

DTown
    Participant

I’ve been to the one in Pittsburgh and really enjoyed it, seemed like it was always busy. Looking forward to this.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’d really just like to see more uniqueness in the area.

Agreed.

I can’t find anything on Sonoma, so maybe they’re not a chain which will hopefully be good.

Rebecca is talking to them today to gather some info. So more details are on the way soon! ;)

Mike88
    Participant

Walker, why always so defensive of the slightest criticism of our fair city? How about some objective reviews of development that may not always be a plus for a given area? Sigh.

I can’t tell if this sarcastic or not, nothing about his response struck me as defensive.

Roger846
    Participant

I finally got that. Good! They probably used to complain about the bars, too!

Roger846
    Participant

Sorry about that post in the wrong place. I was trying to reply to the joke on page 1 of this thread about the past residents (e.g., prisoners) of the Arena District complaining about the chains, also. I had a hard time replying to the specific post and then deleting when I did it wrong.

ohbr
    Participant

I finally got that. Good! They probably used to complain about the bars, too!

nice ;-)

A161830
    Participant

I walked past this today and it looks like it is already closed?

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Not only recently closed. Closed several weeks ago. It didn’t last long at all.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hrm. Their Facebook page has been deleted, and I tried to call their number and it is disconnected.

Sound like you’re probably correct.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

That’s a great location, but some investments have to be made to the exterior, IMO. I also don’t think anyone even knew that restaurant was there.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE