Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sonoma Grille - New Restaurant in The Arena District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Sonoma Grille – New Restaurant in The Arena District

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I heard some scuttlebutt that a new restaurant was going into a commercial space in the building between the Front/Nationwide parking garage, and the Brazilian steakhouse. Anyone have any details, confirmation, etc.?

aculbie
    Participant

Some scuttlebutt was correct. It’s called Sonoma Grille. Not really sure what the menu is supposed to look like though.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I’m taking a wild guess and assume it’s going to be West Coast influenced with a big wine selection.

Is there any timeline indication on this?

heresthecasey
    Participant

Website and Facebook pages are up. They are targeting a “mid spring” opening.

http://www.sonomacolumbus.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/sonomacolumbus/

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Is this a chain? I can’t tell. The website looks pretty chainy, but I can’t find any others, so if not, that’s great. Maybe? I don’t know. As long as it’s not another Boston’s.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Is this a chain? I can’t tell. The website looks pretty chainy, but I can’t find any others, so if not, that’s great. Maybe? I don’t know. As long as it’s not another Boston’s.

Never understood the hate for Boston’s. I’ve always had a good experience and their gf pizza is one of the best out there.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I’ve just been there too many times and haven’t been that impressed by the food.

Roger846
    Participant

I think it might be a chain because the Facebook page says

“construction is underway in the former Darz Café on 111 W. Nationwide Boulevard, the site of the first Sonoma Grille in the Midwest”

From the pictures, it looked pretty much like a sports bar. From google, there is a Sonoma Grille in Pittsburgh, but it seems more upscale than this one?
    Personally, I kind of like the pizza at Boston’s Pizza, but the beer selection doesn’t seem that good IMHO, and the decor is very chain-like and uninspiring. Nationwide Realty built the place, so they can choose whom they want, but they do seem to go in for the generic chains and identical looking square brick buildings. But, I like Ted’s, Gordon Biersch, Three Legged Mare, and the whole District, so I guess I can’t really complain especially given that it used to be a deserted prison!

ohbr
    Participant

I’m sure residents used to complain about chains back when it was a prison too…

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I mean, minus Nada, which I guess you could now call a chain but not really, restaurants like this aren’t bringing people down to the area. Unless there’s a Jackets’ or Clippers’ game, this area is completely dead, yet it’s surrounded by apartments. If they want to bring more business to that particular end of Arena, then they’ll need more interesting spots.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I mean, minus Nada, which I guess you could now call a chain but not really, restaurants like this aren’t bringing people down to the area. Unless there’s a Jackets’ or Clippers’ game, this area is completely dead, yet it’s surrounded by apartments.

The Arena District seems to be pretty busy during work hours due to all of the offices in the area. Far from “completely dead” anyway.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gus W wrote:</div>
    I mean, minus Nada, which I guess you could now call a chain but not really, restaurants like this aren’t bringing people down to the area. Unless there’s a Jackets’ or Clippers’ game, this area is completely dead, yet it’s surrounded by apartments.

The Arena District seems to be pretty busy during work hours due to all of the offices in the area. Far from “completely dead” anyway.

True, it is busy then, but like you said, those are people working down in the area, and I would assume whether they like these restaurants or not, they’re going there out of sheer convenience. Once works over though, that area is empty. I was down at early on a Saturday afternoon, and it was a ghost town. Compare that to a few blocks away near the North Market side, and it’s completely different. Are the restaurants going to be able to survive on lunch alone?

Mike88
    Participant

True, it is busy then, but like you said, those are people working down in the area, and I would assume whether they like these restaurants or not, they’re going there out of sheer convenience. Once works over though, that area is empty. I was down at early on a Saturday afternoon, and it was a ghost town. Compare that to a few blocks away near the North Market side, and it’s completely different. Are the restaurants going to be able to survive on lunch alone?

Between Lunch, Jackets games, Clippers games, and Concerts I think they’ll be alright for non-resident traffic.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I was down at early on a Saturday afternoon, and it was a ghost town. Compare that to a few blocks away near the North Market side, and it’s completely different. Are the restaurants going to be able to survive on lunch alone?

I regularly drive by the North Market on Park Street at 9am after dropping my kids off at school, and that area is a ghost town at that hour. Ebb and flow.

I do agree with your original point that being a unique/destination restaurant concept is important for drawing a crowd outside of the existing footprint of resident, office and event-goers to the area. That being said, the doom-and-gloom scenario you’re painting for the Arena District seems a bit odd considering there are many restaurants there that have been there for a long time… Boston’s, Buca, Ted’s, Sunny Street Cafe, Gordon Biersch, Chipotle, etc. It’s not like it’s an area of constant turnover.

Waltonma
    Participant

Walker, why always so defensive of the slightest criticism of our fair city? How about some objective reviews of development that may not always be a plus for a given area? Sigh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE