Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Request Trader Joes for downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Request Trader Joes for downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 163 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just visited Dan this morning on my way to, err I mean the Bunny visited him this morning. Yeah, the Bunny.

rus
    rus
    Participant

0Angle said:
    I just visited Dan this morning on my way to, err I mean the Bunny visited him this morning. Yeah, the Bunny.

Nice!

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

Because it never hurts to dream – facebook page for Trader Joe’s Grandview https://www.facebook.com/TraderJoesGrandviewOHIO

cbus11

I am not sure that Giant Eagle will be closing. I agree that a mid-sized specialty grocer could do very well there.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

That entire site should be redeveloped.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

cbus11 said:
    I am not sure that Giant Eagle will be closing. I agree that a mid-sized specialty grocer could do very well there.

Do you have information about GE remaining open?

tobyb

With the new GE on Third Ave, the downtown Common’s French Market, the North Market, Hills and though further the SN Kroger isn’t there a bunch of grocery options nearby even if they close the VV GE? Personally, I doubt GE will close it unless it proves unprofitable in the wake of the Third Ave store.

Cbusflyer

I don’t have a picture,but I always thought the family dollar in the S.N. south of the new Kroger would make an excellent T.J. location. Thoughts?

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

as much as I’d love to walk past one everyday, the parking lot’s too small for what a trader joe’s would need there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bastardsuperstar said:
    as much as I’d love to walk past one everyday, the parking lot’s too small for what a trader joe’s would need there.

Really? I never thought the lot at Easton was overly huge. And that lot is shared with other businesses too.

buckette13

bastardsuperstar said:

I don’t think that a Trader Joe’s is that much bigger than Hill’s Downtown. I think Hill’s has like what, 15 parking spaces not counting metered street parking? There is probably a lot more people living within walking distance of the VV Giant Eagle to boot.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

I think you guys are seriously underestimating what a Saturday afternoon at the only center-city trader joe’s would look like. it wouldn’t be predominantly neighborhoodies that’d be there. there’d be a lot of Arlington, Grandview, Clintonville, German/Merion Vill etc.

and as much as I like hill’s, there’s no comparison in the draw that a non-suburban trader joe’s would have.

again, I’m not saying I wouldn’t want it, I’m just saying all the short north parking bitch-fests would be nothin’ in comparison to what people would feel about trying to get their weekend shopping done.

shit, by sheer convenience I’d benefit more than most, so I’d love them to prove me wrong…

mrpoppinzs

I am sure a central Trader Joe’s would be a hit and bring people in from the surroundings. I think though that there is sufficient parking on that lot for a 12,000 to 20,000 sq ft store. Most Trader Joes are around 12,000 sq ft. I am guessing the current GE is around 35,000 sq ft.

I think it would be good for the area and I think their unique brands would compliment more local produce being sold at the North Market if it were to expand. I can imagine people coming in on Saturday morning to get fresh Ohio veggies from a beefed up NM and stopping by TJ’s for the staples. Win, win in my book.

The French Market coming to the Common’s also seems to be focusing on perishables, and prepared foods. As with the discussion of Lucky’s in Clintonville competition is just part of the grocery business and often helps stores focus on their strengths.

Hill’s has a strong following in the upper income segment and I don’t see Trader Joe’s taking away from their gourmet business targeting older downtown residents and office workers.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bastardsuperstar said:
    I think you guys are seriously underestimating what a Saturday afternoon at the only center-city trader joe’s would look like.

Ever been to Easton on a Saturday afternoon? ;)

Pablo
    Participant

The TJ at Easton has 97 parking spaces directly south of the store. The Family Dollar has maybe 40 spaces (plus street parking). I don’t think that would work for TJ. I think TJ would be a better fit parking wise if either the Grandview or Neil Ave. GE closes.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 163 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE