Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Request Trader Joes for downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Request Trader Joes for downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)
  • Author

Just fill out the form here:

http://www.traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx

Downtown needs a grocery store, and trader joes fits the bill perfectly.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Done.

Mae Greentree
    Mae Greentree
    Participant

I have done this before, but I will do it again. It also doesn’t hurt to mention that you’d like to see a downtown Columbus location when you are shopping at Trader Joe’s. Mention it to your cashier, or make a point of talking to the Captain or First Mate about it. Say something every time you are there. They do listen to their customers.
    I think they’re more likely to move on a location if they are courted, because that means they are more likely to get what they want, including a suitable loading area and adequate parking. So if any of you know someone with an appropriate property, who would be willing to work with them…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I know of a certain 9 acres which will empty in another year or so…

revolutionist
    Participant

Nice idea, but I’d rather see Jungle Jim’s open a satellite store downtown. An Ohio company, and IMHO a bit better at what they do than Trader Joes.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Do they have a request form? For that matter how many of the businesses that we would like to see have some type of request form?

Maybe we can have some Warehouse Cafe letter writing sessions?

Tigertree

I think Trader Joes should take over the Giant Eagle on Neil when they move.

revolutionist
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Do they have a request form? For that matter how many of the businesses that we would like to see have some type of request form?
    Maybe we can have some Warehouse Cafe letter writing sessions?

http://www.junglejims.com/about/about_jungle_jims_contact.asp

That’s the contact page, I bet we could get their attention with a campaign to at least get them to look into the possibility for a Columbus branch.

We make a trip down about 4 times a year to load up on international staples (the beer/wine selection of everything is amazing IMO).

The Hegemo

revolutionist wrote >>
    Nice idea, but I’d rather see Jungle Jim’s open a satellite store downtown. An Ohio company, and IMHO a bit better at what they do than Trader Joes.

Jungle Jim’s was supposed to be opening a smaller spinoff store at this big Grandview Yard-esque development in Oakley (Cincinnati). That project seems to be permanently on hold, or at least way behind schedule, and last I’d heard, JJ had dropped their plans to locate there and decided to focus on the continued building out of their Fairfield store.

A downtown location would seem to be a real change for them — their whole business model seems to be being a destination store that people will come from far away to shop, and buy a carload — i.e., very parking dependent. The Oakley store would have been smaller and carried fewer things than the Fairfield one, so it would have been a shift away from that, but still very much quasi-suburban style with a lot of free parking. It’s hard to see them doing something that is a big shift both in terms of store set-up and distance from their other location. But you never know, I suppose.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Tigertree wrote >>
    I think Trader Joes should take over the Giant Eagle on Neil when they move.

The Giant Eagle may not be moving… at least not anytime soon…

Giant Eagle for Arena District falls prey to economy

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

The Hegemo wrote >>

revolutionist wrote >>

Jungle Jim’s was supposed to be opening a smaller spinoff store at this big Grandview Yard-esque development in Oakley (Cincinnati). That project seems to be permanently on hold, or at least way behind schedule, and last I’d heard, JJ had dropped their plans to locate there and decided to focus on the continued building out of their Fairfield store.
    A downtown location would seem to be a real change for them — their whole business model seems to be being a destination store that people will come from far away to shop, and buy a carload — i.e., very parking dependent. The Oakley store would have been smaller and carried fewer things than the Fairfield one, so it would have been a shift away from that, but still very much quasi-suburban style with a lot of free parking. It’s hard to see them doing something that is a big shift both in terms of store set-up and distance from their other location. But you never know, I suppose.

That’s one of the issues with a lot of the things people want downtown-too many suburban style concepts dependent on massive parking lots. Columbus Commons might be an ideal space with the 2 parking garages. I wonder when all that goes down if Capitol South would be willing to work out a deal like Sunflower did at the Gateway. Validated 1 hour parking if you shop at the [insert store here].

Tigertree

Well, I know LA isn’t the most urban city, but any Trader Joes, Home Depot, Target, Best Buy.. I’ve ever been to while living there had a parking lot or garage that rivaled the parking lots of the same stores here. Big Box=Big Lots

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

The challenge downtown is finding things to fill in that will provide daily/weekly service to residents in the immediate area and still provide a broader regional draw.

Too much competition between Polaris, Tuttle and Easton (not to mention 256 and Lennox amongst others) to really continue with any mega mall idea. The best bet, it seems, is continuing playing off the strength of the independent and small businesses that are creating a draw in the SN, GV and surrounding areas AND find a handful of well recognized chains that can anchor the area.

JonMyers
    Participant

A simple delivery service or Fresh Direct style business makes more sense for downtown than a giant market.

Tigertree

Yeah except a “giant” trader joes is super affordable..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE