Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Renting in Victorian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Renting in Victorian Village

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

DudleyK
    Participant

I’m looking for a place to rent in Victorian Village, or possibly Italian Village or Harrison West, but I have a strong preference for VV. I do have a small dog, which makes things a bit more challenging. I’m not currently living in Columbus (though I lived there for two years, so I know the area), so driving around and looking for “For Rent” signs isn’t an option right now. Any suggestions on finding a place?

I have found a 2 BR that I love for $1500; it’s within walking distance of work, restaurants, the library, coffee shops–everything I want, plus it has a washer/dryer. However, my gross monthly salary is just over 3 times this, and I’m afraid after taxes, bills, loan payments, utilities, etc., I would only have $500-600 per month for groceries, savings, and extras. Those of you familiar with the area and cost of living, would you say this is enough leftover, or should I look for a cheaper (and probably less desirable) option?

DLDude
    Participant

Do you NEED a 2 bedroom? You can find a decent 1 bedroom in that area for ~$1000-1100. If you head over to italian village you might be under $1000, but it’s harder to find a one bedroom. VV is the hottest neighborhood in town, but (and maybe I’m biased) I think Italian Village is a real gem and technically closer to High St than some areas of VV.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

Italian Village is best village!

hometown
    Participant

Two-bedroom units in the apartment complexes behind the Giant Eagle at Neil and Buttles run a little over $800.00 a month. High end development in the area has driven up rental prices, leading to a spate of folks who rent houses and share them with lots of roomates. This has meant an increase in transient neighbors for longterm residents and homeowners.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

…High end development in the area has driven up rental prices, leading to a spate of folks who rent houses and share them with lots of roomates. This has meant an increase in transient neighbors for longterm residents and homeowners.

On the contrary I’ve noticed many former multi-unit buildings being converted back to large, single family homes.

hometown
    Participant

We’ve lived here for over 30 years and haven’t seen any multi-unit buildings being converted back to single family homes. Here’s how things have unfolded on the far Western border of Victorian Village where I live. When we moved in, owners were mostly lower middle class families. As these folks aged and moved away, some urban pioneers bought into the neighborhood. Those people left once their kids reached school age. Often they retained ownership and became landlords. The shiny, new apartments in Harrison West have drawn much of the single-occupancy market toward the river. Older homes on the street which haven’t been kept up enough to attract folks who can pay the rent on their own end up renting to groups. On my street, there are at least 5 structures full of college students and/or young folks working their first jobs and sharing rent. This is great for them but tiresome for the rest of us who have to teach the same lessons over and over again (pick up your trash, keep beer bottles off the porch, don’t block the driveway, fix the flat tire and move your car, etc). A mix of renters and homeowners is ideal but, in our case, the boat is getting swamped. What was once a stable neighborhood has become increasingly transient.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

We’ve lived here for over 30 years and haven’t seen any multi-unit buildings being converted back to single family homes. Here’s how things have unfolded on the far Western border of Victorian Village where I live. When we moved in, owners were mostly lower middle class families. As these folks aged and moved away, some urban pioneers bought into the neighborhood. Those people left once their kids reached school age. Often they retained ownership and became landlords. The shiny, new apartments in Harrison West have drawn much of the single-occupancy market toward the river. Older homes on the street which haven’t been kept up enough to attract folks who can pay the rent on their own end up renting to groups. On my street, there are at least 5 structures full of college students and/or young folks working their first jobs and sharing rent. This is great for them but tiresome for the rest of us who have to teach the same lessons over and over again (pick up your trash, keep beer bottles off the porch, don’t block the driveway, fix the flat tire and move your car, etc). A mix of renters and homeowners is ideal but, in our case, the boat is getting swamped. What was once a stable neighborhood has become increasingly transient.

Besides my direct neighbors and one house across the street I don’t think anyone has moved out off of my street in the 8 years that I’ve lived there in Harrison West. And those only happened because one the owner abandoned their house, and the other the little old lady died.

Pretty stable around me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION