Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Renewable Energy in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Renewable Energy in Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Proposed legislation would have Ohio back away from green jobs in utility industry

BY JIM PROVANCE

BLADE COLUMBUS BUREAU CHIEF

COLUMBUS — Four years after Ohio became a leader in trying to force renewable and advanced technology sources of power onto the menus of electric utilities, the state may be preparing to back away.

State Sen. Kris Jordan (R., Powell) this week introduced a bill that would strip from Ohio’s 2007 rewrite of energy law the mandate that utilities find 25 percent of their power from such sources. Current law further requires that half of that must come from renewables like wind, solar, and landfill gases.

READ MORE: http://www.toledoblade.com/Energy/2011/09/08/Proposed-legislation-would-have-Ohio-back-away-from-green-jobs-in-utility-industry.html

scooby3r

Given this concession written in the current law,

“The current law contains a provision that if compliance with the mandates should raise consumers’ bills by more than 3 percent, they would be suspended.”

I don’t see this current law being bad for Ohio’s economy. The green energy sector in Ohio is creating a lot of jobs, relative to other industries, and that is worth 3% to me to support its growth and the new jobs it can create. We need more manufacturing in America, especially specialized, if we want to protect our ridiculously high standard of living without imposing tariffs on imports. But that’s another story…

jbcmh81
    Participant

Clearly written for corporations and has nothing to do with costs or jobs.

howatzer
    Participant

scooby3r said:
    The green energy sector in Ohio is creating a lot of jobs, relative to other industries….

Source?

groundrules
    Participant

Kris Jordan is a real piece of shit. there, I said it. I’ve got my reasons.

The last time the legislature voted on utilizing green energy sources, it passed like 125 to 1 or something. He’s worried about cost increases, but the green energy bill has a circuit breaker built in, limiting increases to 3% annually.

rus
    rus
    Participant

howatzer said:
    Source?

Seconded

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

groundrules said:
    Kris Jordan is a real piece of shit. there, I said it. I’ve got my reasons.

The last time the legislature voted on utilizing green energy sources, it passed like 125 to 1 or something. He’s worried about cost increases, but the green energy bill has a circuit breaker built in, limiting increases to 3% annually.

Not to mention Kris Jordan beats his wife. But I guess thats ok because the Bible says he can.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/06/huge-solar-plant-to-bring-green-jobs-to-ohio/

howatzer
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Not to mention Kris Jordan beats his wife. But I guess thats ok because the Bible says he can.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/06/huge-solar-plant-to-bring-green-jobs-to-ohio/

I also heard that Kris Jordan raises puppies to harvest their soft ears, from which he makes jackets. That wife-beating, puppy-ear jacket-wearing, green job killing bastard.

By the way, from that article/blog/whatever:
    “One of the partners in New Harvest Ventures is David Wilhelm, a venture capitalist from Ohio’s Appalachian region and a heavyweight in Democratic Party politics.”

So, the law, pushed through when the dem’s were in power, stipulates that 12.5% of our energy has to be bought from solar arrays built by their good buddy. Nice. Maybe if I make friends with Kris Jordan I can get a law passed mandating that Ohio will buy power from me.

Maybe if I make friends with Kris Jordan I can get a law passed mandating that Ohio will buy power from me.

Or maybe if you make friends with Kris Jordan he’ll get wasted and wave his gun at you.

groundrules
    Participant

howatzer said:
    I also heard that Kris Jordan raises puppies to harvest their soft ears, from which he makes jackets. That wife-beating, puppy-ear jacket-wearing, green job killing bastard.

dunno about the puppy thing, but yer googler won’t have much trouble finding transcripts of the 911 calls.

Kris Jordan has some ballz talking about jobs, considering he’s never had a real one that didn’t involve being elected.

howatzer
    Participant

groundrules said:
    dunno about the puppy thing, but yer googler won’t have much trouble finding transcripts of the 911 calls.

Kris Jordan has some ballz talking about jobs, considering he’s never had a real one that didn’t involve being elected.

I agree. I think all career politicians should stop talking out their asses about jobs.

The SB 221 mandated that state grant funds went to local Ohio installers. It never said the 12.5% had to be with a specific solar company.

joshlapp said:

The State grant mandated their funds went to projects supported by local certified Ohio installers only. It never said the 12.5% had to be done with a specific solar company.

News
    Participant

Three Northeast Ohio offshore wind power projects secure federal money
    By SCOTT SUTTELL
    1:52 pm, September 9, 2011

Three Northeast Ohio offshore wind power projects are among 41 nationwide that have received money from the federal government.

U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu today announced the distribution of $43 million in grants over the next five years to “speed technical innovations, lower costs, and shorten the timeline for deploying offshore wind energy systems.”

READ MORE: http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110909/FREE/110909856#

News
    Participant

Wind farm OK’d by state
    Jan. 25, 2012
    Written by
    Bryan Bullock
    Telegraph-Forum

SHELBY — Wind turbines could start sprouting in rural north central Ohio as soon as spring, bringing with them jobs and millions of dollars in investment. The state board that certifies construction plans for new energy facilities has approved an agreement that authorizes a 91-turbine wind farm along the Crawford and Richland county line.

READ MORE: http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com/article/20120125/NEWS01/201250311/Wind-farm-OK-d-by-state?odyssey=mod|newswell|text||p

News
    Participant

Bill would kill Ohio’s renewable energy law
    By Jim Siegel
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Thursday February 2, 2012 5:30 AM

A bill that would eliminate the requirement that 12.5 percent of Ohio’s energy come from renewable sources by 2025 got a warm reception from a Senate committee yesterday, but it is unclear how much farther the bill is going. The state requires investor-owned electric companies such as American Electric Power to generate 25 percent of their power from advanced or renewable sources by 2025.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/02/02/bill-would-kill-ohios-renewable-energy-law.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE