Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Removal of J Gumbo fence and flowers downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Removal of J Gumbo fence and flowers downtown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 207 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Apparently the Public Service Department prefers the “before” photo of J. Gumbo’s:

[/img]

Bear
    Participant

hugh59 said:
    The policy should be sensible, it should be known, and it should be predictable. How can anyone comply with a policy otherwise? If they want X amount of sidewalk open, then they should be clear.

I have to think this is the reason we’re all so puzzled.

If the policy were clear, it could easily be interpreted and acted upon by businesses, and there would be no way for the DPS to threaten them with action for noncompliance. The only way any of this makes sense, as far as I can tell, is if the policies in question are either ambiguous or widely ignored or both, and the DPS only enforces them selectively or arbitrarily (or makes up its own interpretation when it wants to enforce them).

Which still doesn’t answer the “why” question. Does their budget depend on enforcement activity, or something of the sort?

This is an out rage. The City should be kissing small business owner’s asses to get them to move downtown. Call Boyce Safford and the Major’s office. I now realize why I support SB5 – the city employees harassing the public either they can’t issue a permit promptly, for example the new restuarant on Oak near YB or they terrorize an open business that is trying to stimulate commerce and jobs. This is BS IMHO and totally unacceptable behavior and incentives for the private sector – can you say government and public sector OVER-REACH. Give me a break!

DavidF
    Participant

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast said:
    This is an out rage. The City should be kissing small business owner’s asses to get them to move downtown. Call Boyce Safford and the Major’s office. I now realize why I support SB5 – the city employees harassing the public either they can’t issue a permit promptly, for example the new restuarant on Oak near YB or they terrorize an open business that is trying to stimulate commerce and jobs. This is BS IMHO and totally unacceptable behavior and incentives for the private sector – can you say government and public sector OVER-REACH. Give me a break!

SB 5 does nothing to prevent this type of behavior. It comes from the directors of the departments. Nice try though.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Bear said:

Which still doesn’t answer the “why” question. Does their budget depend on enforcement activity, or something of the sort?

Thank you.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

If it’s all about ADA compliance, are there ADA complaints coming in? Or do they fear a lawsuit from someone who was brutalized by flowers hanging into the right-of-way?

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

alexs said:
    If it’s all about ADA compliance, are there ADA complaints coming in? Or do they fear a lawsuit from someone who was brutalized by flowers hanging into the right-of-way?

+1
    Since the City has been pounded so hard previously on ADA violations, they are hyper vigilant. Doesn’t mean they have to be difficult about it though.

cbus11

I think Alexs is on to something, central business districts need to meet special level-of-service criteria for right of ways (UFAS and ADAAG). This is all Federal Law (ADA). It is highly detailed and very specific.

http://www.access-board.gov/prowac/guide/figure1.htm

The passage along or within a sidewalk or shared-use path should be clear of obstructions underfoot, overhead, or in between. Objects that protrude over a circulation route above a height of 27 inches (685 mm) are not detectable by cane.

(ie There is a protected zone above 27 inches meant to aid the vision impaired, overhanging flower baskets and patio umbrellas may violate this.)

http://www.access-board.gov/prowac/guide/prowguide.htm

somertimeoh
    Participant

If Federal, why do so many other cities seem to turn the other cheek? If there is an ADA compliance issue, does the city get fined or the establishment?

cbus11

I believe maintaining sidewalk right of way is the responsibility of the city.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

People in wheelchairs hate flowers?

cbus11

Snarf said:
    People in wheelchairs hate flowers?

Blind people with canes hate flower boxes (and other hanging shit). ;)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Maybe we need something like an Urban Design Oddities thread. I see a lot of things that must have looked OK in the CAD drawings, or perhaps they were mistakes that didn’t get caught.

Or sometimes it marks the boundary of a project – for example sidewalks that end at a property line.

drew
    Participant

Well, ADA may explain at least some of the perceived need for enforcement, but it doesn’t explain the unevenness of enforcement.

I also can’t understand why we’re just spitballing online about the reasons for the city’s actions when the city employees enforcing them should be clearly communicating their thinking to the business owners.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

J. Gumbos had plans drawn and approval for their flower boxes. Chad gave up a foot of valuable customer seating to bring the rail in closer to accommodate the flower boxes. Public Service was unaware of his compliance and harassed him about it despite the fact Chad had jumped through every single City hoop.

This is threats and harassment pure and simple.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 207 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION