Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Removal of J Gumbo fence and flowers downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Removal of J Gumbo fence and flowers downtown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 207 total)
  • Author

Urban Dansigner
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    The better question is how one gets a permit with design plans approved only to have the same department come out and say it’s against code. After you spent hard earned money.

Often the drawings do not show enough information, leave off information or the items are not built per the plan. I would say this happens more often than people realize

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

hugh59 said:

Very odd. My pictures show up fine on my Android phone, but they do not show up when I am using my notebook computer.

tolemac5050
    Participant

hugh59, same problem I had yesterday

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The Dispatch covers Coleman’s presence at JGumbo’s today.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Reposted from other thread:

Hello all,

Director Kelsey, Patti Austin and Rick Tilton met with me and my brother Tim Lessner this afternoon to discuss the issues small business has had with their department.

The Department representatives made some solid promises to both of us and moving forward I believe we can expect a positive and collaborative relationship from the department.

I appreciate the Department’s willingness to meet with me and my brother and the discussion we had today.

As a self proclaimed and ardent advocate for all local small business in the City, I urge any business having problems with DPS to contact my new pal and small biz champion Patti Austin from DPS. Also, feel free to call me personally if I can be of assistance.

Special thanks to our small business peers, supporters and media friends for supporting our efforts towards resolution. For now we’ve called off the dogs. ;)

Elizabeth Lessner

Rockmastermike
    Participant

lizless said:

The Department representatives made some solid promises to both of us and moving forward I believe we can expect a positive and collaborative relationship from the department.

best possible outcome. Lets hope their commitment to this collaborative relationship is as strong as yours.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Thank you for standing up and speaking out, Liz. Your voice, among so many others, makes this city what it is and what it will become. You took a risk in criticizing that which was happening to your colleagues and friends trying to run businesses downtown; I’m relieved and grateful that this step forward has been made.

Fantastic news, Liz! Thank you for posting and, most importantly, your work to create positive change to benefit many!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sounds like the meeting today went well Liz. Good to hear it!

JayR

The people have spoken out and affected real change, well at least real promises, from the admnistration. We will have to see how well those promises are kept but it makes be glad to see that Columbus is responsive to it’s people.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lizless said:
    Nice Dispatch editorial today:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2011/08/19/roadblocks.html

Very well said! Love this! :D

News
    Participant

Gay Street patio controversy nets promises of cooperation from city
    Premium content from Business First – by Dan Eaton
    Date: Friday, August 19, 2011, 6:00am EDT

As the ire of Gay Street restaurateurs cools and Columbus officials promise more civility, both sides will explore changes that, if the eatery operators have their way, could make business easier.

“We do these things to improve our business, to improve the area,” said Jeff Mathes, owner of Due Amici on Gay Street and Barrio on High Street, referring to setting up sidewalk patios that have come under fire from the city. “This is economic development.”

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/08/19/gay-street-patio-controversy-nets.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Followup Interview with Department of Public Service on Downtown Patio Issues
    By: Walker

Last week, issues between Downtown businesses and The Columbus Department of Public Service came to a boil at a meeting where some heated words were exchanged. Small business owners on Gay Street want to see friendlier practices within the Department and modernized city code that allows them to continue to bring life and vitality back Downtown.

We recently sat down with several officials within the Columbus Department of Public Service to hear more about what is being addressed, why things have unfolded in the way that they have, and what sort of changes we can be seeing in the near future. Below is the transcript of the interview conducted with Public Information Office Assistant Director Rick Tilton, Division of Planning & Operations Administrator Patti Austin and Division of Mobility Options Administrator Randy Bowman.

Part One: https://www.columbusunderground.com/followup-interview-with-department-of-public-service-on-downtown-patio-issues-part-1

Part Two: https://www.columbusunderground.com/followup-interview-with-department-of-public-service-on-downtown-patio-issues-part-2

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Columbus City Records Show Few Gay Street Complaints
    September 1, 2011
    by Tom Borgerding
    89.7 NPR News Managing Editor

Last month, downtown Gay Street business owners complained to Columbus officials about “aggressive” sidewalk code enforcement between High and Third Streets. A city official told business owners code enforcement officers were driven by public complaints.

But, records obtained by WOSU show there were hardly any public complaints about sidewalk obstructions on Gay Street.

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2011/09/01/columbus-city-records-show-few-gay-street-complaints/

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 207 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION